<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

1/48 F-111E - Academy or Hobbyboss?

June 27 2012 at 8:01 AM

Dave Roof  (Login DaveRoof)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 99.99.44.130

Gentlemen,

All points considered, which is the best option for a 1/48 F-111E?

Thanks,

Dave

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! - Eleanor Roosevelt

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Jim Rotramel
(Login mrvark)
HyperScale Forums

Neither?!

June 27 2012, 10:12 AM 

Both kits have a legion of inaccuracies. If there was an accurate F-111 model available, both would compare in accuracy as the Aurora Me-109 kit to a Tamiya Bf-109, if that gives you a feel for my distain and frustration with both.

That said, given the price delta, I would get the Academy kit, with a changes. The Hobby Boss kit corrected a few things, making the assembly easier and the surface detail nicer, but they copied most of Academy's mistakes and introduced a number of their own (especially, but by no means limited to, the canopy). It looks like the boss came in Friday afternoon at 4:30 and said he wanted the design on his desk at 0900 Monday morning; simply horrid, sloppy research.

If you can find one, get the new Academy F-111C (ACA12220) as it has a number of subtle corrections to the original, it just has the long wings, so you'll still need the E kit for those. For an experienced modeler, the aftermarket parts for one will work on either kit, so that isn't a big factor.

Get the SAC struts for the Hobby Boss kit (48079) as that is a definite problem with the Academy kit. They have a set for the Academy kit, but they're modifications of the Academy gear and not very good.

D-Mold TP-II intakes are a huge plus for either kit as HB copied the crappy Academy intakes that have inlet spikes that are 18" too short. Everyone's TP-II intakes (including D-Molds) are too close to the fuselage (they're supposed to be 11.5" from the fuselage and kits have them about half that far out).

A prominent AM company has had a number of masters for correcting various issues with both kits for a couple of years now, but they haven't make it to the top of the pile. One of the most important you can do for yourself. The biggest construction issue with the Academy kit is the lateral seam across the top of the fuselage. This always cracks due to lack of support. Make one that will fit into the slot formed by the narrow internal reinforcement along the sides of the fuselage and make it fit tightly into the void across the top of the fuselage.

The cockpit (including existing AM ones) is a mess. AMS does some seats that help (AMS48010). A couple of other pointers are that the side and center consoles should be dead level, not canted/angled and the instrument panel should angle back 11 degrees, not vertical like everyone has it. This will make it sit 11" under the glare shield, which will require thinning of the glare shield.

Another thing that everyone has wrong is that the dorsal strake should be 6" high, not 3" and the angle at the front should be a sharp break, not a curved transition.

I could go on, finding fault with nearly every piece of both kits, but you get the drift. Now you have an inkling as to why, with more than 1,000 hours in the real thing, I still don't have a completed F-111 kit on my shelf.

Respond to this message   
Phil Brandt
(Login bondo455)
HyperScale Forums

An EXCELLENT summation of the whole sorry mess from one who knows........

June 27 2012, 11:52 AM 

What a gift this critique would be to Trumpeter if they ever chose to do a from-scratch 1/32 Vark....

Phil

Respond to this message   
Pat Hutchens
(Login JPHutchens)
HyperScale Forums

A 1/32 F-111 F (El Dorado Canyon) would be a dream come true...

June 28 2012, 9:32 PM 

researched by Revell, and presented in an accurately shaped, decently detailed kit with a good price that the AM guys could go full bore on. That said, if anyone EVER does one in 32nd....it'll probably be Trumpeter.

Pat

Respond to this message   
FrankB
(Login FranklinB)
HyperScale Forums

That Explains It !

June 27 2012, 4:40 PM 

AKA why I don't have a 1/48th FB-111 on my shelf either. Several in the stash, some started, lots of ideas, but nothing finished in 1/48th. My stash of 1/72 FBs is even bigger, but I've got a completed Hasegawa in the display case and can use it as inspiration.

The wait continues...
FrankB

Respond to this message   
Bo Roberts
(Login jabow1)
HyperScale Forums

Great summary. I feel the same with a UH-1D/H. N/T

June 28 2012, 8:19 AM 

Respond to this message   

Frank McCurdy
(Login C130McCurdy)
HyperScale Forums

F-111

June 30 2012, 11:44 PM 

Jim, that's because you and Bondo build in the wrong scale...LOL, just kidding. Us 72nd guys have some pretty choices.

Respond to this message   
Dave Morrissette
(Login DaveMorrissette)
HyperScale Forums

I like the Hobbyboss better

June 27 2012, 8:55 PM 

Seems to ofit a little better. I will admit to a compelte lack of caring what details are wrong (looks close enough to me) and the Hobbyboss kits build up a little better IMO.

Dave

Respond to this message   

John M.
(Login aardvark111UH)
HyperScale Forums

Re: 1/48 F-111E - Academy or Hobbyboss?

June 28 2012, 11:57 PM 

I finished 2 ACA kits with a lot of Resin and they may not be 100% accurate but I like them! If we ever see an accurate 1/48 F-111, HAS will have to scale up their 1/72 series. I have another planned, ACA, HB, resin a real frankenvark, all pieces collected, I've stopped holding my breath after the HB fiasco. I worked on Varks for 17 years, a shite of a kit will not stop me.

John

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on HyperScale's Forums requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), and crude metaphors. Please do not use the "Jet Age" forum as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any grievance. "Jet Age" is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, "Jet Age" is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters