<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

A-10 Gun Gas Diverter Pics

March 7 2013 at 8:34 PM

Corbin H.  (Login chaldane)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 206.174.40.41

Scanning some old slides today and came across these. I took these at an Elmendorf open house in 1985. The Hasegawa 1/72 scale kit has this part in it, but I've never seen one built with it. From what I hear, this thing made A LOT of vibration.

Cheers, Corbin

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Craig Baumer
(Login boom175)
HyperScale Forums

That "french Tickler" was a POS!!

March 7 2013, 11:31 PM 

I remember after we installed it on our Hog's virtually every one of our A/C had cracks in the nose area. My A/c had a big ol crack in the Nose wheel well. I was so glad we took it off! to be honest, I don't think we kept it on the jets long enough to see if it made an impact on gun gas ingestion.

Craig Baumer
IPMS Baltimore
Former A-10C Crew Chief MD ANG
Retired

Respond to this message   

Corbin H.
(Login chaldane)
HyperScale Forums

Wow...

March 8 2013, 12:04 AM 

That sounds pretty bad! That's some serious vibration! I'm surprised they wouldn't have tested it out more before installing them on A/C in service - or does that make too much sense?

Thanks for sharing your story.

Cheers, Corbin

Respond to this message   
Ron M
(Login ronsm)
HyperScale Forums

Did you ever see the film or photos when the gun

March 8 2013, 2:51 PM 

was first installed and fired? Sam Nelson was about ready to bail out!

Respond to this message   

Don Fogal
(Login shogun66)
HyperScale Forums

Who thought that thing up!?!?!?

March 8 2013, 3:27 PM 

Looks like something from "Warhammer"...

I bet the guy that came up with that thing got paid some Beeeeg bucks, even thought it didn't work!

[linked image] We stole the eagle from the Air Force, the anchor from the Navy, and the rope from the Army.
On the seventh day while God rested, we overran his perimeter, stole the globe, and we've been running the whole show ever since.

Semper Fi, Don

Respond to this message   

Keith Svendsen
(Login Fantomtoo)
HyperScale Forums

Gun Gas Diverter

March 8 2013, 3:49 PM 

Referred to as the "Batelle Device", it was designed by the Battelle organization of Columbus Ohio. Prior testing to divert gun gas included just shaving the muzzles alone and a nose fairing that completely enclosed the gun muzzles.

Sven
Old Viper Tester

Respond to this message   

Keith Svendsen
(Login Fantomtoo)
HyperScale Forums

A-10 Secondary Gun Gas Ignition

March 8 2013, 5:04 PM 

An example of SGGI, relatively small. I've got a picture somewhere of one with the fireball about 25 feet in diameter. Engines don't behave when they suck that in.
[linked image]

Another try at diverting gun gas - the nosey - on s/n 73-1665.
[linked image]

[linked image]

Sven
Old Viper Tester

Respond to this message   
Ron M
(Login ronsm)
HyperScale Forums

The pilot doesn't do well, either

March 8 2013, 8:17 PM 

At one point, the fireball fully enveloped the cockpit. All Sam could see was flames. The nose probe was replaced with a wood plug before the flight. The fire burned away the softer wood in between the grains. And yes, there was a sudden thrust loss. So, besides the gun gas diverter, they made changes so that the gun gas/exhaust wouldn't be as apt to enter the engine inlets.

Respond to this message   
MichiganPete
(Login MichiganPete)
HyperScale Forums

WOW! I've *never* seen the droopy nose before!

March 9 2013, 12:27 PM 

How long did that last? Not a single A-10 reference I've ever seen has had that one in it.

Respond to this message   
Ron M
(Login ronsm)
HyperScale Forums

I think some of them only lasted a couple of flights.

March 9 2013, 8:57 PM 

The airplane would come in, show the burn marks, and someone would say, "naw, that didn't work", and it was discarded. No reason to use it again, if it didn't work once. It was a nasty problem.

Respond to this message   

Mike V
(Login ViperEnforcer)
HyperScale Forums

Is that the Kinetic A-10

March 9 2013, 1:49 PM 

just a guess by the shape of the nose wink.gif

Hey Keith how goes it? Need to get in touch with you soon.

Mike V

"I am a "Realist". I see and call things as they are, not how I want them to be."

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on HyperScale's Forums requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), and crude metaphors. Please do not use the "Jet Age" forum as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any grievance. "Jet Age" is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, "Jet Age" is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters