<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Trumpeter Skywarrior findings

March 20 2014 at 6:07 AM
JeffreyK  (Login JeffreyKubiak)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 109.157.182.32

While pottering away on my wheel well correction set I was trying to solve a puzzle about a set of actuators in the forward compartment.
They are the aft bomb bay door actuators, completely missing in the kit. But not only that - Trumpeter seem to have failed to understand the construction and mechanics in this area. The aft end of the bomb doors need to overlap the forward edge of the wheel well compartment so the actuators located in there can actually work. On the kit the doors stop about 2mm in front of the wheel wells so even if Trumpeter had included any actuators they would now push against solid fuselage skin, not the doors...
Going back to this photo:
[linked image]
The wall on the left, the one with the lightening holes, is part of the aft wall of the bomb bay. The vertical arm with the red shackle at the top is one half of the folded door actuator arm, the lower arm (usually also red) is missing. At a 45° angle sits the hydraulic actuator ram that would push the arm downwards.
For this to work, the bomb bay doors need to be longer than the bomb bay itself, overlapping the aft bulkhead, up to the actuators.

But it gets worse: Taking overall measurements of the Ginter book for the A3D-1 and -2, scaling some reasonably accurate drawings to these dimensions in 1:48 revealed that the aft edge of the bomb bay(doors) is roughly in the right place, it's the wheel well itself that's too far aft (4-5mm). But it doesn't stop there - the bomb bay is still too short, but actually at the front, which means the buffet spoiler would also need to move forward to be roughly in the right place.

Now, what to do in terms of corrections. I'll provide the actuators in the retracted position in my wheel well set and the easiest option would be to model the bomb bay doors closed and leave it at that.
If you would like to model them open I will provide a set of extended actuators, but it will be up to you whether you:
- extend the bomb bay doors aft using the fuselage plastic of that would need to be cut away so the doors overlap the wheel wells and the actuator arms can be connected
or
- cut out the wheel well aperture and move it forward so, again, the forward edge overlaps the aft edge of the bomb bay doors.

I hope that either will be possible with my set, the latter of course more difficult. Extending the bomb bay forward would be nothing short of a nightmare as this would also affect the buffet spoiler and the crew hatch.

Cheers
Jeffrey

This message has been edited by JeffreyKubiak from IP address 109.157.182.32 on Mar 20, 2014 9:37 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Ben Brown
(Login bebrown1)
HyperScale Forums

They screwed up the spoiler, too...

March 20 2014, 6:44 AM 

It's supposed to fit completely flush with the belly. Your best bet is to leave out the bomb bay and crew tunnel, build the spoiler and bomb bay closed (which is a PITA), and scribe the doors and spoiler outlines.

Ben

Respond to this message   

Tommy H. Thomason
(Login tailspinturtle)
HyperScale Forums

Good Catch

March 20 2014, 8:36 AM 

I hadn't noticed this before but it explains why there is no door-opening linkage at the aft end of the bomb bay like there is at the forward end.
[linked image]

Respond to this message   

Ben Brown
(Login bebrown1)
HyperScale Forums

Great photo, Tommy! I wish I'd had it a couple of months ago...

March 20 2014, 10:54 AM 

when I was trying to add the catapult hook slots that Trumpeter also left off of the kit. The photo also shows how badly they pooched the fence. Dis one of the Versions have a scabbed-on fence, that sits on the surface of the belly, like is provided in the kit?

Ben

Respond to this message   

Tommy H. Thomason
(Login tailspinturtle)
HyperScale Forums

The Versions don't have the fence

March 20 2014, 12:33 PM 

Because they don't have the bomb bay, which is why there's a fence on the Bombers. Otherwise, reportedly, the bomb or bombs might just rattle around inside the bomb bay when released. The A3D-2P had two little side-by-side bomb bays for the flares but I don't think it had a fence. I think Trumpeter just misinterpreted a photo of a derelict A-3 or one of a Bomber with the fence extended.

Respond to this message   

Ben Brown
(Login bebrown1)
HyperScale Forums

Thanks! I figured a design as clean as the A3D wouldn't have...

March 20 2014, 1:03 PM 

it scabbed-on as if it was an afterthought.

Ben

Respond to this message   
Ron M
(Login ronsm)
HyperScale Forums

On some aircraft, no matter how clean it is outside,

March 20 2014, 2:26 PM 

when they open the bomb bay doors, the flow off the doors and, over the bay, causes turbulence within the bay. This affects the way the bomb exits the bay. So the fences aren't there to clean up the drag of the aircraft, but to clean up the flow over the bay. Otherwise, the bomb may not hit the target, or may hit a door while exiting.

Respond to this message   
JeffreyK
(Login JeffreyKubiak)
HyperScale Forums

Thanks!

March 20 2014, 1:58 PM 

Any yes, as Ben has said, a great picture too! I've been trying to find a nice underside shot like that for a while.

Cheers
Jeffrey

Respond to this message   

Lewin
(Select Login plasticutter)
HyperScale Forums

Re: Good Catch

March 23 2014, 12:19 PM 

Tommy, could you forward this photo to me at my email addy? Would like it for reference on my KA-3B build. TIA.

"Interesting. You're afraid of women and insects. Lady bugs must make you catatonic!" Sheldon Cooper, "The Big Bang Theory"

Respond to this message   
Steven Corvi
(Login scorvi12)
HyperScale Forums

Question_How does this compare with Hasegawas 1/72 Skywarriors???

March 20 2014, 9:52 PM 

Did Hasegawa get this area correct? I am just interested if this is a common problem in all Skywarrior kits?

Steve,

Respond to this message   

Tommy H. Thomason
(Login tailspinturtle)
HyperScale Forums

I don't know but

March 21 2014, 7:21 AM 

Hasegawa redid the master for their 1/72 drawings using pretty good Douglas drawings that I provided to them so the basic shape should be accurate. They did mash up the slat configurations with the CLE slat inboard and non-CLE slats outboard but otherwise I think it's pretty accurate. (Seehttp://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2010/09/mighty-skywarrior.html)

However, the exact location of the aft end of the bomb bay aft of the forward end of the main landing gear wheel well had escaped me up until now (in any but a picture taken from below,it's very hard to see where it is - for one thing, the aft end of the doors when they are open is blocked by the landing gear strut) and I'm not sure that the material I provided them showed it. Unfortunately, my kits are in storage. Looking at pictures of built models, it's hard to tell but they might have got it right. In any event, it is a minor rescribing.

Respond to this message   
Rob Anderson
(Login robertandy)
HyperScale Forums

Ahh the Whale

March 21 2014, 3:01 AM 

Great stuff, I hope to build a big Whale one day and have saved this info. When I was a young Airman in VAW 124 one of the first things I was taught my first day on the flight deck was "When the Whale comes in get behind the island" happy.gif
Rob Anderson
AECS(AW)
Retired

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on HyperScale's Forums requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), and crude metaphors. Please do not use the "Jet Age" forum as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any grievance. "Jet Age" is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, "Jet Age" is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters