<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Academy's F-4J is available as Sprue Brothers...

December 24 2014 at 9:48 AM
Roy A Schlicht  (Login albapfalzd3)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 24.19.166.173

with the C/D out you knew it was just a matter of time.

Roy

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
George Campbell
(Login blueangelmodeler)
HyperScale Forums

Is there a kit review somewhere ? nt

December 25 2014, 11:37 AM 

Respond to this message   
Jon Krol
(Login jon2005)
HyperScale Forums

Academy F-4J

December 25 2014, 3:48 PM 

Any of the reviews for the F-4B or F-4C should pretty much apply to the F-4J.
A pipe gives a wise man time to think,
and a fool something to stick in his mouth.

Respond to this message   

Don McIntyre
(Login DDonSS3)
HyperScale Forums

I meant to ask...

December 26 2014, 5:47 PM 

Did Academy get the aft cockpit starboard side wall right? One of this irritants for me about the Monogram kit(s). They got it right in the 1/72 but got it wrong in the somewhat earlier 1/48 kit. I was hoping they'd go back and fix it, but they never did, apparently.
Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

"The more I deal with people, the more I like my dog."

Respond to this message   
Robert DeWoody
(Login BDeWoody)
HyperScale Forums

Yes, they got it right.

December 27 2014, 4:02 PM 

At least on the B version. One would assume they got the J version correct too.

Respond to this message   

Don McIntyre
(Login DDonSS3)
HyperScale Forums

Thank you, Sir. n/t

December 27 2014, 8:54 PM 

Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

"The more I deal with people, the more I like my dog."

Respond to this message   
Darren Roberts
(Login Darren_Roberts)
HyperScale Forums

Fix for the Monogram kit

December 27 2014, 9:42 PM 

Steel Beach has a set that corrects the Monogram F-4J. It gives you the cockpit sidewall and breaker box for the cockpit, new wheels, ECM bumps, a vinyl piece to replicate the IFR door, trunnion plates, and flame holders for the burner cans. If you've got a bunch of Monogram kits in the stash, this set helps it out a bit.

Respond to this message   
Jon Krol
(Login jon2005)
HyperScale Forums

Monogram F-4J

December 29 2014, 9:40 AM 

No, Monogram never corrected their 1/48 J cockpit. It's still USAF type.

Respond to this message   
Robert DeWoody
(Login BDeWoody)
HyperScale Forums

Re: Is there a kit review somewhere ? nt

December 25 2014, 5:37 PM 

I have and am finishing the Academy F-4B. Having built a bunch of Phantom IIs from Fujimi to Revell. to Monogram, to Hasegawa I believe this Academy kit to be the finest in 1/48th scale. The biggest advantage over the Hasegawa kits is the inclusion of a full set of ordinance.

Respond to this message   
Jon Krol
(Login jon2005)
HyperScale Forums

I agree......

December 25 2014, 7:26 PM 

I have three Academy B's. I also have a Hasegawa B and J as well as a Monogram J. Academy is the best hands down.

Respond to this message   
Jon Krol
(Login jon2005)
HyperScale Forums

While on the subject of Academy F-4's..........

December 25 2014, 7:41 PM 

Several years ago before Eduard issued their MiG-21 series they announced they were going to do the Phantom series after the MiG. They cancelled it later explaining another company was going to do a Phantom series and they didn't want their product to have to compete with another. At the time they didn't mention who the other company was. Shortly after, Academy announced their intent to issue the Phantom. A lot of people were concerned thinking an Eduard Phantom would have been much better than an Academy kit. That has proven to be a mistake but I was wondering if back during the planning stages shortly after Eduard canceled their Phantom, Eduard may have entered into a secret sort of agreement offering their assistance and perhaps some of their data research to Academy as Eduard is now issuing the Academy kit but under their own label. Any thoughts?

Respond to this message   
Robert DeWoody
(Login BDeWoody)
HyperScale Forums

They may be working together

December 26 2014, 4:25 PM 

Eduard has released their own F-4B which is the Academy kit with a few extra goodies including a complete set of stencils and markings for at least four planes. But it is even pricier than the Academy kit getting close to $100

Respond to this message   
Jon Krol
(Login jon2005)
HyperScale Forums

Yes, but.....

December 29 2014, 9:44 AM 

You get a small Brassin set with resin, PE and masks. Not a complete set mind you but some.

Respond to this message   
Robert DeWoody
(Login BDeWoody)
HyperScale Forums

That's how they can justify the extra price. n/t

December 29 2014, 6:15 PM 

Respond to this message   
Jon Krol
(Login jon2005)
HyperScale Forums

Well.....

December 29 2014, 7:11 PM 

The Academy kit is selling retail for $79.00. You can find it cheaper, maybe $10-$15 off list but it is not too common. Still add shipping to that price. So $99.00 retail for the Eduard issue plus the Brassin stuff, it's not too far from being even. I'm sure as time goes by you'll be able to get the Eduard kit for less. One big nit I have with the Academy kit is the multi color plastic. The Eduard kit is all gray. Much nicer. All that white plastic in the Academy kit makes it hard to see the fine detail on those pieces.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on HyperScale's Forums requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), and crude metaphors. Please do not use the "Jet Age" forum as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any grievance. "Jet Age" is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, "Jet Age" is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters