Blogger Tricks
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Salvia exserta/praeclara

March 28 2011 at 11:25 AM
  (Login Naturelover68)
Hummingbird lover 2009

Does anyone have any extra Slavia exserta/praeclara seeds they are willing to share? I do have extra seeds of many types of plants if any of them interest you. I purchased some S. exserta this winter that I planted over 2 weeks ago and they haven't germinated so I'm assuming they were no good. Last year and the year before I purchased seeds from ebay and both times they turned out to be Salvia coccinea so I still haven't ever grown this salvia and I really want to try it out.

Gary
Napoleon, Ohio
Zone 5b/6a
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login Pennytoo)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

Re: Salvia exserta/praeclara

April 16 2011, 7:46 AM 

Gary,
Sorry I just now saw your post. Unfortunately I don't think I have any S. exserta seed this year. I didn't even save any for myself but I will double check and if I have any I will send you an email.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a/6b
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

(Login Naturelover68)
Hummingbird lover 2009

April 16 2011, 10:51 AM 

Thanks Penny but fortunately a few days after I wrote this message, 4 seeds finally germinated and they are doing well. Four should be enough because I'm trying so many new plants again this year that I don't think I would have room for more than. I appreciate your generosity.

Gary
Napoleon, OH
Zone 5b/6a
Napoleon.gif

(Login Celtguy)
Hummingbird Member 2005

April 16 2011, 10:12 PM 

Gary, I planted some Praeclara seeds a few weeks ago & got good germination, even tho the seeds weren't from last year. I probably has some seeds left I can share if your seedlings don't work out.

I had to chuckle about yours germinating after you'd sorta given up on them....I think almost everyone has experience that...one frequently reads of the seedling emerging in the compost bin after the seed were discarded. Thus we learn patience...lol.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
SeaTac, WA...one cool place
[linked image]

(Login Naturelover68)
Hummingbird lover 2009

April 17 2011, 1:57 PM 

Thanks Patrick. My seedlings are still doing well and I'm looking forward to seeing them bloom. I gave up on them because everyone says how quickly they germinate and all of the other seeds that I planted were already up. The marigold and zinnia seeds were coming up in 2 days so I guess I expected everthing else to germinate really fast, too.

Gary
Napoleon, OH
Zone 5b/6a
Napoleon.gif

(Login Pennytoo)

April 18 2011, 5:39 AM 

Gary
Glad your seeds finally came up. this is one fast growing salvia. The year I grew them they were blooming before AI even got them in he ground and give them plenty of room when you do plant them out as they do get big and very bushy.

Penny
NY
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

(Login Naturelover68)
Hummingbird lover 2009

April 18 2011, 10:52 AM 

Thanks for the advice Penny. Should I plant them 2 feet apart or even farther apart than that?

Gary
Napoleon, OH
Zone 5b/6a
Napoleon.gif

(Login Pennytoo)

April 21 2011, 6:01 AM 

Gary
I would plant them at least 2 to 2 1/2 ft. apart. Another think too...mine got so top heavy that when we had a bad wind storm the dig get blown over and damaged. Because of the way our yard is and the privacy fence, the wind gets trapped in the back yard and creates a wind tunnel that circles the yard and that is what damaged my plants. So try and plant them in an area where trapped wind isn't a problem.

Penny
NY
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

(Login Naturelover68)
Hummingbird lover 2009

April 21 2011, 9:43 AM 

Thanks Penny. Maybe I'll try putting tomato cages around them for support.

Gary
Napoleon, OH
Zone 5b/6a
Napoleon.gif

(Login Pennytoo)

April 28 2011, 11:46 AM 

That should work as long as they are the heavier aluminum ones and not the real inexpensive ones.

Penny
NY
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
[linked image]

Current Topic - Salvia exserta/praeclara  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Upload picture, Copy the Shareable code, Paste it in your message.

Back to the Hummingbird Forum