<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Junior Rookie Camps

May 1 2011 at 4:55 PM
Bookmark 

So the Rookie Camp/Cash grabs are well under way. Any thoughts or assessments of how the skates went?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Bookmark

Re: Junior Rookie Camps

May 2 2011, 11:27 AM 

Went well. Good, fast, wide open hockey. My kid is really looking forward to beer league starting up.

Bookmark

May 2 2011, 12:02 PM 

What rookie camps had actual scouts making notes? And which ones did not?

Bookmark

May 2 2011, 1:22 PM 

Very few as these camps are nothing more than cash grabs. Some players may get noticed by on ice staff, but offers will include nothing more than an invite to their main camps.

Bookmark

May 2 2011, 2:21 PM 

Something like 20-25K cash, when all the costs are in, ice refs etc...

Bookmark

May 2 2011, 2:35 PM 

There are no refs at rookie camp. Most ice is $250 per hour so if the camp is 5 - 1.5 hour skates ... that is 7.5 hours X $250 equals $1875 .... that would accomodate 2 squads/teams if you had enough players for another 2 teams then the cost would double (and so would the income) that equals $3750 and so on... how did you get from there to 25K ???

On the income side of the equation .. if you pay $250 each and there are 15 kids per team times 2 teams on the ice at one time you get 30 times $250 so that equals $7500. Take out the $1875 and you are left with $5625 profit for every 2 teams you put on the ice.

I don't know why they don't start having these things every weekend... basturds

Bookmark

May 2 2011, 3:24 PM 

so the main camps are money grabs too!

Bookmark

May 2 2011, 3:25 PM 

main camps are free just like the season is free.

Bookmark

May 2 2011, 6:32 PM 

Nothings free, unless previously expressed as such, main camps cost money.

Bookmark

May 2 2011, 7:40 PM 

junior camps are a great way too keep the kids in shape and keep playing some hockey and there's nothing wrong with that.

Bookmark

May 2 2011, 8:24 PM 

I know of one team that is relocating to a new town and is, or wants to appear to be, a first-class outfit. Their "try-outs" are in the first of June at $225. They will have 4 teams of about 15 kids per team like everyone else does. So the team gets about $15,000 from that one weekend. One problem. The team held a skate this past weekend for players they are really interested in. It was by invitation only and at no cost. Word spreads quickly in a small town. Sort of a slimy thing to do. I can hear the "June Rookie Camp" cheques being cancelled as we speak. Good luck in your new town.

Bookmark

May 2 2011, 8:28 PM 

SLIMEBUCKETS..NAME THE TEAM

Bookmark

May 2 2011, 8:45 PM 

8:24 name that team?

Bookmark

May 2 2011, 8:50 PM 

7:40 are you kidding me? 4 teams with 21 players forwards every 4th shift at 40 sec each shift for a measly 3 game with running clock. Don't know what your kid is doing but that's not much of a workout! Just a money grab, Id rather spend the money on a gym membership for a whole year!

Bookmark

May 2 2011, 9:03 PM 

rookie camps all the same except for top FEW team... Just another version of shinny but more expensive. 40 SEC SHIFTS !!! More like 2 min with guys that don't move the puck and try to do everything on their own. Far from what hockey should be played like.

Bookmark

May 2 2011, 9:11 PM 

North York Rangers (right from their site) Evaluation Camp... 6 teams with 20 kids on each team. 120 kids playing 3 games. Also evaluating 30 goalies. How on earth could any kid stand out under those circumstances. We attended a Mid. West Jr. B camp last year. 30 kids total. $80.00. A couple of days later played the Villanova Knights in an exhibition match. Jr. B team played a line-up mostly of rookie hopefuls. I'm not sure who Villanova dressed. Anyway the Jr. B team stroked them about 6 to 1 or 6 to 2.

Bookmark

May 3 2011, 7:57 AM 

You people are idiots. How do you think these teams survive? They need this cash to fund FREE operations for its players. If you don't like it find another league that will let any kid tryout for free then if he make it will pay for everything. If your kid sucks and would never make the cut don't go and stop bitching.

Bookmark

May 3 2011, 8:35 AM 

If your kid sucks and makes an outstanding donation he's in and the kids at the tryouts who are better are paying for nothing. I think that's the guys point, idiot

Bookmark

May 3 2011, 8:37 AM 

I might be ok with the cost of the rookie camps etc if teams like Mississauga and Milton would get their hands out of your pockets after that but they don't. Mississauga squeezes you for thousands after you join the team as well.

Bookmark

May 3 2011, 8:40 AM 

9:03 I have to agree, my son played as a team all year and with great success. So why change now, why rush the puck from end to end and have it stripped away every time at a jr a camp to prove your better??? Not too much scoring. We can all puck hog at this level but the real hockey players don't. I found alot of individual type hockey at these jr a camps. Not good.

Bookmark

May 3 2011, 8:46 AM 

villanova didnt play a jr b team, it was dixie who played cambridge jr b and lost 6-1 last year

Bookmark

May 3 2011, 12:05 PM 

Villanova played two games against Jr. B teams last year in exhibition games. They won 8-3 and 12-1.

Bookmark

May 3 2011, 4:06 PM 

Don't go to the camps if they are that bad. You better hope you make it in hockey!!

Bookmark

May 3 2011, 5:09 PM 

Heard from the weekend Villanova invitational skate the new coach who was a mid season replacement for J.A. is on very thin ice if they don't start well in Orangeville. That would be 4 coaches in just over 2 seasons. Nice situation. Rookie camp in June. See you all there.

Bookmark

May 3 2011, 7:01 PM 

villanova didnt play a jr b team, it was dixie who played cambridge jr b and lost 6-1 last year

YO DUDE, Dixie folded so they couldn't have played a Jr. B team. I was Villanova you fart!

Bookmark

May 4 2011, 6:32 AM 

Villanova played a home and home with their Jr. B affiliate Owen Sound. As I said, Villanova won easily.

Bookmark

May 4 2011, 10:35 AM 

Dixie just folded, they were around last year.

Bookmark

May 4 2011, 1:51 PM 

Nobody likes being taken advantage of...

The truth is that if you have not spoken to the organization and let them know that you are interested in joining their team so that they can come out and have a look at your son long before the rookie camp that you have made your own situation very difficult.

As you already know the rookie camp is a fundraiser but also a chance for the coaching staff to confirm the level of interest they have in a player. They can compare a rookie to vets etc.

It is highly unlikely that a player will get picked out of a rookie camp unless they really stand out and that is extremely hard to do in a game of shinny.

Bookmark

May 4 2011, 3:37 PM 

6:32 am I would hope Villanava could beat their last place in the league Jr.B team. Maybe this year they can motor over from Orangeville and put the smack down on their last place Jr.C team in Fergus.

Bookmark

May 5 2011, 9:27 AM 

337 is a fag

Bookmark

May 9 2011, 6:39 AM 

Waxer camp is this coming weekend. Has anyone who applied heard anything back?

Bookmark

May 9 2011, 8:21 AM 

heard owners son is a 1995.

Bookmark

May 9 2011, 8:22 AM 

Seems to be a common thread for Jr A where the owner has a 95 kid this year

Bookmark

May 9 2011, 8:29 AM 

yupp owners son 95 goalie......no way should be up here with the big boys

Bookmark

May 9 2011, 10:01 AM 

Newmarket this past weekend. Anyone attend?

Bookmark

May 9 2011, 12:00 PM 

my son went undrafted this past weekend, is it worth the time to take him to a camp?

Bookmark

May 9 2011, 12:01 PM 

....so much crap in this hockey they don`t even look for talent the NHL is a joke just play for fun.I know kids that are amazing they never make the team then your stuck with these draft pick lol they can`t even play.

Bookmark

May 9 2011, 12:14 PM 

Don't worry about getting drafted or not just keep working hard.
The draft is a joke for young kids of only 16 years old.
Work hard as it's where you are as a 18, 19 and 20 year old that count.

Bookmark

May 9 2011, 12:16 PM 

Have to agree partially, but why would you think it's a joke.

Bookmark

May 9 2011, 12:19 PM 

my son went undrafted this past weekend, is it worth the time to take him to a camp?

Know that rookie camps are fundraisers for the teams. Also know only 2 spots available for 16 year olds. Typically teams will wait unitl after OHL camp cuts before filling the spots, if not already taken by "family or friends". Play major midget, where he'll get ice time and the opportunity to develop. This doesn't happen sitting on an OJHL bench.

Bookmark

May 9 2011, 12:50 PM 

good advise

Bookmark

May 10 2011, 12:20 AM 

then team wonder if your so good how come you are still Midget?

Bookmark

May 10 2011, 12:06 PM 

....no good player coming from around here 1st draft picks are always a joke, hockey is control daddy`s and their money.

Bookmark

May 10 2011, 12:35 PM 

Guest Speakers for Waxers Combine Camp. The following guest speakers have been confirmed for the Markham Waxers Combine Camp being held this Friday and Saturday.

"Confirmed guest speakers"

- Sherry Basin - General Manager Erie Otters; will be speaking about the OHL

- Jim Wells - Head Coach York Lions; will be speaking about the CIS

- Rick Cornacchia - Head Coach Team Italy; will be speaking about European opportunities

- Marty Savoy - Commissioner of the OJHL - will be speaking about the OJHL

- NCCAA to be announced shortly.

Bookmark

May 10 2011, 12:53 PM 

Waxers appear to have their poop together. That is the kind of organization that people should consider.

Bookmark

May 10 2011, 1:13 PM 

no one will show

Bookmark

May 11 2011, 9:47 AM 

1:13 pm...yay your right...no one will show up...we only had 21 goalies last night...

Bookmark

May 12 2011, 11:23 AM 

Bump up

Bookmark

May 12 2011, 11:52 AM 

who is coaching Brampton Capitals?

Website still shows guy from last year

Bookmark

May 13 2011, 10:16 AM 

From what I gather. One of the owners of the Brampton Capitals hired a new coach (Carnavale) and that owner unfortunately passed away recently. Not sure if the remaining owner was on the same page as the owner that passed away.... now they are not sure if they want to proceed.

I know they moved the date of their rookie camp to hopefully give them time to figure things out.

Bookmark

May 16 2011, 10:20 AM 

Bump up

Current Topic - Junior Rookie Camps  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on HockeyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Never worry about IP's being exposed.  Dirtbags might get slapped around or banned, but we're not going to 'out' you by disclosing your IP address.

Try to keep this discussion civil.  We have room in the CHIRPS forum if you need to rant, comment on hockey moms, or other things that might not be interesting to everyone. 

Thanks, Mod Team.

• No annoying pop-ups
  • No noisy ads
  • No viruses