Continuation of Lucy999's post from pg boardMarch 13 2012 at 9:53 AM
|AJ (no login)|
Couple Wins Down Syndrome lawsuit
Newser) An Oregon couple has been awarded $2.9 million in a case centered not around wrongful death, but wrongful birth. Ariel and Deborah Levy said they would have terminated their pregnancy had they known their daughter would have Down syndrome but they were continually told the child would not. On Friday, a jury agreed Legacy Health System was negligent, citing five instances. Among them: The doctor took an incorrect tissue sample in order to determine the chromosomal profile; it was apparently analyzed incorrectly as well.
Lawyers for the hospital said they were "disappointed" in the verdict and looking into their options. The couple had originally asked for $7 million, and will use the money to care for their child, now four. "These are parents who love this little girl very, very much," said the couple's lawyer. "Their mission since the beginning was to provide for her and thats what this is all about." The Oregonian notes that the Levys mouthed the words "thank you" to the jury as they filed out.
I guess I am curious? any opinions? I have read lots of comments for and against them?
- My thoughts and concern - AJ on Mar 13, 2012, 9:59 AM
- Wow, that is a SCARY bill... - Sara H on Mar 13, 2012, 12:21 PM
- That was what I was scared of - lucy999 on Mar 14, 2012, 12:12 AM
- found this while looking up something else... - Sara H on Mar 13, 2012, 9:50 PM
- That is true Sara - lucy999 on Mar 14, 2012, 12:18 AM
- I know what you mean but I see it this way... - Sara H on Mar 14, 2012, 10:50 AM
- Yeah, it's the terminology that bothers me - AJ on Mar 14, 2012, 11:33 AM
- Yeah, it's the terminology that bothers me - AJ on Mar 14, 2012, 11:34 AM
- Sorry- has anyone else had issues with the site? - AJ on Mar 14, 2012, 11:35 AM
- about the site - juliemam on Mar 14, 2012, 12:20 PM
- won't delete it. - juliemam on Mar 14, 2012, 12:22 PM
- I had a coworker with a DS daughter - Alli on Mar 14, 2012, 7:13 PM
- I think it's interesting to note - ekb88 on Mar 16, 2012, 12:17 AM