The Asian Watch Forum function N54_noerror(msg, url, lno) { return true; } //window.onerror = N54_noerror;

AWF Sales and Trading Post.. AWF Resources Forum.. Watch Reviews Forum.. Orient Watches Info Page..

Sea-Gull Watches Info Page.. Watch Collection and Picture Forum.. Universal Currency Converter.... The AWF Cafe...

Chinese Watches Info Page... The AWF Flea Market... Watch Deal References Forum...

Back to the AWF  

To expand on Al's answer... Al has a Blancpain with a 100 hour power reservce...

May 29 2010 at 5:09 PM
No score for this post

(Premier Login Zoodles95)
Forum Owner
from IP address 65.93.148.160

Response to Mainsprings are specific to the caliber

The movement is essentially the same as another calibre with a 70 hour power reserve. The big difference in the 30 hours difference in the two calibres has to do with the mainsprings. So, if Al were not to order the Blancpain specific mainspring his watch would have a 70 hour power reserve versus the 100 hour his Blancpain is supposed to have.

Al also ordered a mainspring for my vintage Grand Seiko and it is just slightly different from the original spec for the watch. We are trying to get some new parts for this Grand Seiko but it has been a trying experience and we may have to use some slightly out of spec parts and see how it plays out.

This is going to be a bit of a rant of mine in an upcoming post. Whereas Swatch is very good for providing parts to Al, Richemont and Seiko are not much help. Whereas you can send a vintage Omega, Vacheron Constatin etc to the head office and get a restoration... well good luck doing that with a Seiko.

This is a concern with me with my new Grand Seiko. Am I going to have trouble getting parts for it in 10-15 years? This is a contrast to Omega where you can send in an early 1970s Proplof and it will come back all restored or you can order the parts from Omega. My recent corresepondence with Omega has been amazing. This is in contrast with Seiko where they have been no help at all to Al in his search for various parts.

Just something to discuss and debate. As Seiko tries to move upmarket they need to bear in mind that the watch itself is only part of what commands that premium price. Having talented watchmakers on staff who can restore vintage in-house products and knowledge and access to parts from the back catalogue is part of that package as well. Unless things change I may not buy another $5000 and up Seiko.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses