The Asian Watch Forum

AWF Sales and Trading Post.. AWF Resources Forum.. Watch Reviews Forum.. Orient Watches Info Page..

Sea-Gull Watches Info Page.. Watch Collection and Picture Forum.. Universal Currency Converter.... The AWF Cafe...

Chinese Watches Info Page... The AWF Flea Market... Watch Deal References Forum...

Back to the AWF  

Citizen Super Deluxe

December 15 2010 at 5:29 PM
No score for this post
  (Login Sweephand)
AWF Approved Poster
from IP address 81.97.63.123

In 1958 Citizen launched the Deluxe, a very successful hand wind model, at least on the Japanese domestic market, using their 2B/9200 calibers. As with their later Hi-Line and Ace models, Citizen also produced higher grade versions of the Deluxe, known as the Super Deluxe. Again launched in 1958, and made with 23 and 25 jewel (9200/9201/9202) movements they were subjected to greater levels of adjustment. The movements were given a higher quality finish and were stamped 'specially adjusted' as opposed to '3 adjustments' on the standard Deluxe. I don't have any info at this stage as to what level of accuracy was achieved, but I assume they were Citizen's most accurate model before they launched the Chronometer in 1962. The Super Deluxe was also their thinnest men's watch at the time, later to be beaten by the Diamond Flake.

Here's a couple of quick pics of my Super, a gold filled model from 1962. The plain dial is typical of the 'dress' style (others also feature 3 stars on the dial - and the three star marking was used as a marker of the Super versions by Citizen for its higher grade models). 14K gold is used, specified at 80microns:

[linked image]

[linked image]

I haven't taken the back off mine, so here's a pic of what should lie inside:

[linked image]

Stephen

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses