The Asian Watch Forum function N54_noerror(msg, url, lno) { return true; } //window.onerror = N54_noerror;

AWF Sales and Trading Post.. AWF Resources Forum.. Watch Reviews Forum.. Orient Watches Info Page..

Sea-Gull Watches Info Page.. Watch Collection and Picture Forum.. Universal Currency Converter.... The AWF Cafe...

Chinese Watches Info Page... The AWF Flea Market... Watch Deal References Forum...

Back to the AWF  

Zoodles has a new addition to the collection... Another departure...

April 25 2011 at 8:47 PM
No score for this post

(Login Zoodles95)
Forum Owner
from IP address 65.93.24.187

I used to call my watch collection "the herd". It was kind of unwieldy but it was fun going crazy acquiring and restoring all those Seiko divers. There are still a couple left around here but not the crazy collection that I once had. All too often many of those divers became either "drawer queens" which never, ever got worn, or just went unloved and unworn. They were in several watch boxes and from time to time they migrated out onto my desk, dressor, and other places and I felt the need from time to time to "herd" them; hence the herd nomenclature in describing them.

Now I have a lot less watches than I used to and they come from different countries, different time periods, different companies, and are all sorts of different types.

One of the really interesting things I have noticed in my evolution as a WIS is an increased curiosity and appreciation for complications. One of these is the mechanical chronograph which I had no interest in previously.

The Sea-Gull chronos were my first foray into this type of watch and it was the 1963s which had true staying power. I went through several of them but still have the one I bought from the gentleman who was selling them here last year. In the end it appears that the one I have is essentially the same one you can get from Sea-Gull HK.

To make a long story short I bought the Elgin Valjoux 7733 powered chrono which Al was selling though the AWF TF.

Al's Pics:
[linked image]
[linked image]

And here it is on Zoodles' wrist:
[linked image]

What I find interesting is that the watch is an interesting hybrid of dress and sports. It is gold which is an unusual choice for me. However, it is contrasted with the awesome orange second hand, and the sporty style of registers.
[linked image]
[linked image]

Beautiful white dial, applied indices, applied Elgin symbol. I love the blue text around the outside of the dial.
[linked image]

Sporty, but constrasted by the gold case and croc strap...
[linked image]
[linked image]

Is that interesting symbol what Elgin used as a logo on their watches in the 1970s? Interesting...
[linked image]
[linked image]

To give you an idea of size it is essentially identical in width to the 1963...
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

This is a very interesting movement which powers this beauty:
[linked image]
[linked image]

I found some great info about this movement here:
http://valjoux-7733.blogspot.com/

It was produced from 1969-1978 so I know that the Elgin was made somewhere between 1969-1978. Unfortunately there is no "Water Prood" or "Water Resist" text anywhere on the watch so I cannot use that as a reference point for pre-post 1970. The casestyle and size of the Elgin is most 1960s like versus some of the funky casestyles you will see on that website I posted above. As an example here is one of the watches posted on the site:
[linked image]

Of interest is that the owner of that website has the exact same Elgin!
[linked image]

This movement has 17 jewels and runs at 18000bph (which I witnessed on Al's timing machine).

I am very smitten with this little guy and here it is with my other mechanical chronos:
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Thanks for looking...

Care to share your chronos? happy.gif

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on WatchesCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement