The Asian Watch Forum function N54_noerror(msg, url, lno) { return true; } //window.onerror = N54_noerror;

AWF Sales and Trading Post.. AWF Resources Forum.. Watch Reviews Forum.. Orient Watches Info Page..

Sea-Gull Watches Info Page.. Watch Collection and Picture Forum.. Universal Currency Converter.... The AWF Cafe...

Chinese Watches Info Page... The AWF Flea Market... Watch Deal References Forum...

Back to the AWF  

You might want to stay away from ChromOS for now...

May 3 2011 at 4:30 PM
No score for this post

Isthmus  (Login Isthmus)
AWF Approved Poster
from IP address 206.210.27.33

Response to You like those "open source" browsers and O.S.s. And I agree. Heck with

The thing is completely cloud based, which IMHO is not conducive to proper computer use. I prefer a mix of online and local applications and storage.

If you're interested, you can try what I did, which is to buy a refurbished computer from one of the big brands (I use Dell's refurbished store). you can buy a pretty good machine for HUGE discounts that way. That or buy a computer from your local craigslist. you'd be surprised what people are selling there for very good prices. The plus is that you will get a computer that is not brand new but you will get it cheaply. this will allow you to experiment without feeling bad about possibly damaging a new rigs install.

If you can, look for something with multiple cores. 64 bit would be ideal, but 32 is fine. find something with ample RAM (linux doesn't need a lot of ram, but as with all computers, the more you have the better your performance will be). and try to find something with an intel board and processor and a decent graphics card from a major manufacturer (Nvidia are a good choice). You should be able to find something really good in the $500 range.

That should be able to run anything from the most basic to the most elaborate linux distros without skipping a beat. We can even help you find some that will ease the transition from windows. if you do a full linux install, you also don't have to worry about partitioning, though it is advisable.

[linked image]
GO HOKIES

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on WatchesCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement