The Asian Watch Forum

AWF Sales and Trading Post.. AWF Resources Forum.. Watch Reviews Forum.. Orient Watches Info Page..

Sea-Gull Watches Info Page.. Watch Collection and Picture Forum.. Universal Currency Converter.... The AWF Cafe...

Chinese Watches Info Page... The AWF Flea Market... Watch Deal References Forum...

Back to the AWF  

Yes indeed - competitions within Japan...

April 1 2012 at 12:59 AM
No score for this post

Ninja010  (Login Ninja010)
AWF Approved Poster
from IP address 180.190.217.15

Response to It sounds like there was a Japanese competition...

This AM, I had also been looking for some information on my system about the Marvel undergoing some competitions [Marvel is "predecessor" of the Lord Marvel as Seiko's highest quality product from 1956 to the intro of Lord Marvel. Basically, the 21j variety of Marvel had 2 more jewels added & was relabeled "Lord Marvel"]...

I finally found it now that I've gotten back on the system for a little while (had to do some backups of various reports & other files I just got)!!

"In 1957, it [Marvel] was also the first Japanese watch to win the men's wristwatch division of a contest held by the Japan branch of the American Horological Society, surpassing non-Japanese models such as the Omega. The Marvel lived up to its name and helped earn Japanese timepieces a reputation for excellence that resounded all over the world, even as far as Switzerland."

Also regarding the design changes in Marvel (from it's predecessor, the Super), "The results were shown clearly in a study sponsored by the Ministry of International Trade and Industry that compared the quality of Japanese watches. In 1957, the Marvel took some seven of the top ten places, including the top five. In 1958, it managed to take the top nine places."

So, there you have some info on both:

1. Seiko vs. Swiss
2. Seiko Marvel vs. other Japanese products of the time period.

Ultimately, Seiko did participate in the Swiss competitions in '60s ... IIRC it started with sending in Crystal Chronometer clocks in the +/- 1963 timeframe, then followed by mechanical watches. However, most of those competition models were NOT "consumer models", so quite little data from those competitions would apply to what you want to know [comparative quality levels of the 5x, 6x, & 7x calibre families from Seiko, particularly the hand-wind members of the families].

===============================================
[linked image]

Seiko Matsuda
The Patron Saint of Seiko Collectors

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses