The Asian Watch Forum function N54_noerror(msg, url, lno) { return true; } //window.onerror = N54_noerror;

AWF Sales and Trading Post.. AWF Resources Forum.. Watch Reviews Forum.. Orient Watches Info Page..

Sea-Gull Watches Info Page.. Watch Collection and Picture Forum.. Universal Currency Converter.... The AWF Cafe...

Chinese Watches Info Page... The AWF Flea Market... Watch Deal References Forum...

Back to the AWF  

From Pellaton to Magic Lever: auto-winding by excentric pawls...

May 17 2012 at 10:22 PM
No score for this post

Chascomm  (Login Chascomm_)
Chinese Watch Guru
from IP address 151.130.37.17

(I hope I haven't posted this here before)

As discussion of this topic recently picked up again, I thought I would present some of what I have mapped out so far on the topic...

The following list is arranged thematically to represent a progression of simplification from Pellaton through to Magic Lever, rather than a chronological sequence. (If you want a chronological list, the dates are included)

The original excentic auto-winding system was invented and patented in 1946 by Albert Pellaton for IWC and the calibre 85 was produced from 1950.

IWC 85 (1950) -  Cam on rotor hub, ruby cam followers, spring-tensioned pawl fingers both acting on same side of pawl wheel.

Orient Super Auto (1961) – Identical to Pellaton system.  Cal 670 from 1963 and variants (e.g. 676) also used a Pellaton system.

Shanghai SS2 (1965) -  Same as Pellaton but maybe more compact.  Slow development, limited production, superseded by SS4 with similar winding system, made until mid 1970s

Timex M31 (1957) -  Almost identical system to Pellaton, but unjewelled and with circular cam.  Very cheap.  Produced until 1980.

Longines 19A (1952) - Single pawl finger so only winds when cam apex is advancing towards cam follower.

Cyma 470 (1953) -  Split system with two cam followers each driving a single pawl.  Looks complicated.

AHS 154 (1962) -  Stamped sheet-metal version of Cyma system.

Citizen 3KS (1958) -  Similar to Pellaton, but with lever pivot opposite the pawl wheel, with pawls reaching around the rotor axis, engaging opposite sides of the wheel.  Pawls are tensioned against each other.  Massively over-engineered module and only made for a few months.

Revue 87 (late 1950s) -  Geometrically similar to Citizen, but with simple stamped lever encircling the cam.

Otero 77 (late 1960s) -  Two pawls driven directly from a crank pin on the rotor hub, engaging opposite sides of the pawl wheel, tensioned by leaf springs outside of each pawl.

Seiko (1959) -  Similar to Otero, but pawls cut from a single piece of metal and therefore self-tensioning.  Late 1960s 7009 variant dispenses with auto module bridge by placing crank on an offset wheel driven by the rotor.

Orient, Hamazawa, Hangzhou, Golden Time, Sea-Gull, Fujita, Liaocheng -  Same as either version of Seiko system.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on WatchesCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement