The Asian Watch Forum

AWF Sales and Trading Post.. AWF Resources Forum.. Watch Reviews Forum.. Orient Watches Info Page..

Sea-Gull Watches Info Page.. Watch Collection and Picture Forum.. Universal Currency Converter.... The AWF Cafe...

Chinese Watches Info Page... The AWF Flea Market... Watch Deal References Forum...

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the AWF  

a question for G Shock owners...

August 7 2010 at 10:43 PM
No score for this post
  (Login GeorgeRado)
Founding Member
from IP address 99.239.136.40

I was just admiring my new Gulfman, and I wondered about the WR rating of 200m.
We all cater to our mechanical's and send them off for serviceing and gasket changes
etc and then I wondered if anyone ever changes the gaskets on a G.
I'm thinking that other than battery changes,most people would wear them 'till they stop
working, and with the newer solar models, that isn't even required.
I know I've just worn my timex and casio digitals 'till the battery stopped working and
bought a new one. They usually run for close to 10 yrs anyway.
The WR will diminish after time due to gaskets, and I'm wondering if anyone has ever
sent one away for gasket replacement? With most of the models, (under $150.00)it might
just be wear it for 5-7 years, it gets banged up, wear it 'till you kill it, or
just buyy a new one. The newer frogman models that are $700.+ well this might start
being an issue.
Anyway, just thinking out loud, and if anyone has any experiennce changing out a gasket,
let us know
[linked image]

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

nhoJ
(Login nhoJR)
AWF Approved Poster

Re: a question for G Shock owners...

No score for this post
August 7 2010, 11:36 PM 

I've put silicone on a few of the gaskets, but never had to replace one. It probably didn't need the silicone, but I was in there snooping around so I figured, why not.

If you ever decide to take the back off, be careful with the little screws. It is easy to strip the threads in the case because it is just plastic. Also I've seen people strip the head off the screw by over tightening. I think the watch maker's lesson of never forcing something is still appropriate for G Shocks.

(Login thianwong)
Founding Member

I cannot remember anyone changing gaskets on a G unless it was

No score for this post
August 8 2010, 12:05 AM 

used for actual swimming or often off road rallying, usually using the newer Mudmans.
Don't forget, the Frogman series is the only ISO rated G, and then again I have never read posts of the gaskets being replaced, because 99% of owners never swim with them for actual usage.
I have read that owners of the usual Gs (DW 6600, DW 6900 etc) have swam and dove with them with no water ingress. Remember too, that all the Gs other than the Frogman series are IN HOUSE tested and rated, allowing them to add 200m resist.
Battery changers usually do not swim with their Gs, so tis never an issue of replacing gaskets, unless one is an avid collector of the very first DW5xxx series and wants to find and replace them with new gaskets.
If you were to still own your G after 3 years or more and changed your own battery, you might want to re-silicone the gasket if it is still in reasonable shape and not torn etc.

(Login GeorgeRado)
Founding Member

thanks...

No score for this post
August 8 2010, 12:16 AM 

I've actually swam, snorkelled, showered, and hot tubbed with casio's and
timex ironman's etc. and these were usually only rated for 50 or 100M.
Used them for years and never had a problem.
I will be doing the same with this gulfman, and I won't be worried about it.
I only paid $100. for the thing so I won't be spending time/money hunting down
gaskets.
The only reason I wondered is that I see the price for some of these newer models
nearing the $1000.00 mark and then I would be concerned about gaskets 'cause
if I owned a frogman, and I'd love one, I would want to be able to use it for swimming
or diving.
Have a great weekend everyone!
George

(Login thianwong)
Founding Member

well, the guys who want to fork out such high prices for the new

No score for this post
August 8 2010, 12:38 AM 

Froggies likely will NOT swim much with them....
I could buy a very nice Froggie Men In Rust Black used for $179.00usd now...but not really a good buy for me at this time...(too big lengthwise...
I hope to get the old DW Stargate DW 8300 but will never swim or shower with it on...haha!

(Login sharkfinDave)
AWF Approved Poster

there are more than a few who do

No score for this post
August 8 2010, 11:01 AM 

use their frogmans on dives. I've read quite good handful of guys who dive with their frogmans, especially the new GWF-1000. Not sure if I recall any of the GW-200 series but I'm sure there have been some over the years.

So IMO, Froggies do get wet. However, I've never read of anybody changing gaskets or having leaks.
I did read on WUS dive forum, one dude's Gulfman , did crack from decompression but was doing a saturation dive of some sort. That particular watch had already logged about 3-4 sat dives before it was breached. And its still works.
Read it here:
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f74/not-all-g-socks-live-through-sat-427601.html

Most divers use their dive computers, the watches are just backups or just to get them wet. wink.gif
I plan to use mine in depths, when I get the chance again. Been itching to dive again.

Cheers,
Dave.

(Login thianwong)
Founding Member

good to be updated on that fact.....haha....seems a

No score for this post
August 8 2010, 2:58 PM 

whole new niche sector of Froggie owners are actually diving with the watches!

(Login pete2611)
AWF Approved Poster

G's are to be used

No score for this post
August 14 2010, 7:39 PM 

In my opinion, one reason I like them is the lack of maintenence required, call me lazy.

My MIRB Frogman that i got for a bargain price.

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Thian
(Login thianwong)
Founding Member

Nice one, Peter.....I was just about to buy that model used

No score for this post
August 14 2010, 8:04 PM 

but hesitated....could still get it though...the size issue is my consideration on my smallish wrist...I have had Froggies in the past and the end strap always stuck out haha!

(Login pete2611)
AWF Approved Poster

Hi Thian, it's a large watch

No score for this post
August 14 2010, 8:13 PM 

but a classic sexy looking watch, with the ti case and back for added crispy goodness happy.gif

Cheers

Peter

Thian
(Login thianwong)
Founding Member

Peter, partial concern was the time legibility for my older eyes haha...

No score for this post
August 14 2010, 8:48 PM 

the Men in Rust Black is a special model and I found it in the back section of a trendy used store where they used this watch as a prop but with sales sticker of $170.00usd on it! Darn good price!..happy.gif

(Login bladedoggg)
AWF Approved Poster

Love those Froggys

No score for this post
August 15 2010, 6:46 AM 

I gotta own one, ONE day...sigh....

Thian
(Login thianwong)
Founding Member

Hey Deandogg....memories of our G Shock days huh!!!! haha nt

No score for this post
August 18 2010, 4:05 PM 

nt

doggg pound
(Login bladedoggg)
AWF Approved Poster

mos definately!

No score for this post
August 20 2010, 4:24 AM 

(Login pete2611)
AWF Approved Poster

I was very lucky

No score for this post
August 17 2010, 7:55 AM 

I bought mine brand new for $179AUD. They have put the the price up on the site I bought it from to $579AUD. Bargain of the year happy.gif

Thian
(Login thianwong)
Founding Member

Heck of find and price, Peter! Well done! nt

No score for this post
August 18 2010, 4:04 PM 

nt

sharkfin Dave
(Login sharkfinDave)
AWF Approved Poster

Love the froggys ;)

No score for this post
August 14 2010, 9:35 PM 

But I never really understood the red display. It didn't appeal to me. sad.gif
But they're all good.
Yeah they're big, but felt the Gw-200 series were wearable. Unlike the GWF-1000 monster. lol.

Dave.

here's my former frogman's. Miss them. sad.gif
[IMG][linked image][/IMG]
GWF-1000 was too huge to bear.
[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Thian
(Login thianwong)
Founding Member

haha...you don't know Japanese color palette! they kill ya

No score for this post
August 15 2010, 3:13 AM 

with color variations in most of their retail items...so MIRB pink dial version is just another variation...

Current Topic - a question for G Shock owners...
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the AWF