The Asian Watch Forum

AWF Sales and Trading Post.. AWF Resources Forum.. Watch Reviews Forum.. Orient Watches Info Page..

Sea-Gull Watches Info Page.. Watch Collection and Picture Forum.. Universal Currency Converter.... The AWF Cafe...

Chinese Watches Info Page... The AWF Flea Market... Watch Deal References Forum...

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the AWF  

OT buggered up the laptop, Poy/SteamAncre?help? ;)

November 12 2010 at 3:11 PM
No score for this post

(Login sharkfinDave)
AWF Approved Poster
from IP address 67.230.153.176

Ok guys, I buggered it up. sad.gif ... LOL.
I decided to load up with peppermint OS, loaded all good. (took a long time to install)
But its totally unstable. Super slow, locks up, need to hard reboot, still missing the bottom taskbar, so trying to click the peppermint logo on bottom left for menu's is a not go. sad.gif

Had high hope for this one. But my crappy little system not liking it. So now I'd like to revert, but thinks it's now beyond that. Its all partitiioned, I have not found any solutions to remove or uninstall this peppermint. I searched net, forums, nothing on how to uninstall.

You just can't , or I haven't found it yet. I guess a reformat and a reinstall of XP is in order then? I can't use peppermint at all. All kinds of weird stuff happens on screen with graphics, and just locks up. sad.gif

I noticed,it looks like a Dell, but realize its not. Generic laptop. I don't have the original disks/drivers, so this will be a challenge to get all sorted. I feel like chucking this to the bin, but have made it a challenge to get it going again. (I somehow like to torture myself, lol)

I have it loaded up along with XP pro/sp3, generic laptop, AMD sempron 2600,1.6ghz, 240mb RAM.

I couldn't load by USB key, and my cd rom wouldn't work with CD's, but got it to install by DVD iso. Partitioned and fully installed with peppermint OS.

But, now I just want to remove/uninstall peppermint but have not found any solutions anywhere on the net. sad.gif
This seems to be a permanent install, leaving me to think a reformat is the only solutions here. sad.gif

I did try puppy first but it had problems too, so thought I'd try Peppermint. Its actually worse. I seem to have gotten into a pickle here. lol.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Dave.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login thianwong)
Founding Member

Ouch!...will be interesting to hear from the Linx gurus here....

No score for this post
November 12 2010, 3:23 PM 

I decided not to try installing Ubuntu netbook edition onto my netbook, after Peter thought windows7 would not have enough power to run both....
So far, Ubuntu inside XP dual core 2 gig of Ram, 500gig HHD works fine. The only glitch happening was using a defrag software on my system...the computer froze half way done ...and had to unplug the AC cord...then everything reset back to normal...I wonder if Ubuntu was the cause...

I hope your laptop was not your main user! Otherwise, seems you might have to do a total reinstall.
With only 240mb of ram, seems not enough to run XP....and the 1.6 ghz processor not enough power...
My old Eee has that similar config ...and loaded with XP pro...so slow!

(Login sharkfinDave)
AWF Approved Poster

haha, no its not

No score for this post
November 12 2010, 3:33 PM 

its my bro's old laptop. hehe. I've been bugging him to get a new one. Too cheap to get a new one.
I've done him a service perhaps by my blunder. LOL.
Not a big deal, just a pain in the butt to do all this.
I take it on as a challenge now to salvage the poor thing. I hate to see pc's go to the landfills.
I figured the system couldn't handle it, but Gabe and Time thought it may work.
I knew it would be a mistake when as it installs/partitions my drive. Oh well, chance taken.
This is why I didn't want to venture into the land of linux to become a casualty of frustration. hehe. Ah the things we do.
Spent all night going crazy. sad.gif

(Login thianwong)
Founding Member

know what you mean! I used to try new software all the time way back

No score for this post
November 12 2010, 4:03 PM 

in the 90s and buggered up my IBM laptop! Knowing dick about fixing the prob, I spent loads on a guy trying to mend my errors! Seems a bad trait of mine! hehe! NOW, I know not to screw around (too much) with new stuff/OSs which I know nothing about.
But with Ubuntu loaded into my latest desktop, it is working for me now and will not bugger it up haha!

Jeje
(Login Jeje3325)
AWF Approved Poster

I know how you feel...

No score for this post
November 12 2010, 5:00 PM 

Monday I went to my big one as I call it , my desktop. Anyway, wanted to make a copy of The big Lebowsy for a friend at work. This is one of the best movie ever IMHO. Anyway...
Starts then reboots, then stall. I just reformatted 2 weeks ago and hehehe made an image once I was finished tweeking and after SP3. Anyway I figure "no problem, I'll just reinstall the image" I start the process and go start the supper. Come back 15 or 20 min later and shazam... No its not finished, I got a nice message with a BIG X from Acronis image saying......... Image corrupted.., annot complete task So now the damn thin reformatted half, cannot find the second partition and wont boot at all because of the corrupted image and half done job sad.gif
So basically I'm f*ck*d and gotta do it all over this week end. I also suspect a problem with memory so I will first start with a diagnostic with a tool I found on Windows.
Yep this is gonna take a while...

Hang in there Dave! I'll think of ya while redoing mine hahaha

*Never a waste of time to look at a watch*

(Login sharkfinDave)
AWF Approved Poster

lol, been there a few times.

No score for this post
November 12 2010, 5:10 PM 

Acronis, and Ghost, had that corruption thing. sad.gif
Its a PITA. Backup, backup, backup. Thats all we can do.
But my Mac is going good. wink.gif
Its always MS problems. I'm down for the new Linux world, just I have a clue to what I'm doing. haha. But yet I try. lol.
Good luck this weekend.

(Login Jeje3325)
AWF Approved Poster

Step one ok...

No score for this post
November 12 2010, 7:18 PM 

Windows memory diagnostic 6/6 A OK.
Now the format will go again.
I suspect Kaspersky doing monkey business. I will install without and protect with something else. too bad, I've been a customer of them for years... sad.gif

*Never a waste of time to look at a watch*

poywatch
(Login saykobro)
Founding Member

Dave, on OS and Linux, Pete is the pro. I am the Browser-Bowser. I had trouble with

No score for this post
November 12 2010, 3:36 PM 

Linux also until I did Ubuntu through the wubi method. I had problems with Mint and Puppy and backed out and cancelled 2 disc intalls that were not installing properly. A computer repair tech can remove the OS for you, but I don't have a clue since it is an OS. My computer guru in Florida can work miracles. If you don't mind paying out some $, I'm sure a tech can fix her up.

Boomtown
Explode
Boomtown007.jpg

(Login sharkfinDave)
AWF Approved Poster

Ok, thx. I'm still researching nt

No score for this post
November 12 2010, 3:45 PM 

(Login Ancre-Steam)
Founding Member

Your system really is too low on RAM for anything but Win 95 :<(

No score for this post
November 12 2010, 4:21 PM 

Linux is just a file system. Unlike Windows with all it's bailing wire, registries and so forth, Linux can be completely uninstalled just by deleting it. That only leaves the hard drive partitions which you use a disk partition tool to get rid of.

If Windows was left on the hard drive before the Linux install, it often won't install correctly as the new partitions are often not large enough. In those cases, it is not a good idea to use the auto install. Using the custom install lets you decide how big the partitions and swap file are going to be.

I would clean the hard drive and do a basic format then reinstall Linux...it will run fine and definitely faster than any Windows version you might try putting on it.

Perhaps the reason you couldn't do it from a CD is the drive is not compatible with CDs; only DVDs. One other issue is that if you use unbranded CDs they often won't work with operating systems...I found this out when I tried making recovery disks for my old XP.

------------------------------------------

[linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image]

(Login sharkfinDave)
AWF Approved Poster

Ok thx

No score for this post
November 12 2010, 4:51 PM 

that all makes sense.
I'll have to do as you suggested. Gotta squeeze some lemonade out of this lemon. haha.
I agree, system too small and weak. I'll try a full linux in this and see if it'll improve and make it useful once again.
If I do that, a full linux only package, should I use Ubuntu or others? Can Puppy be made full only OS?
Also if I do go this route, I guess I'll have to find all the drivers necessary for my pc during the new install, or how would I go about that?
Thanks again, sorry for buggin ya. wink.gif

(Login Ancre-Steam)
Founding Member

You're not buggin me but...

No score for this post
November 12 2010, 7:32 PM 

my roids are wink.gif

With the resources on your brother's computer, I would opt for Puppy or, at the most, Mint.
Both of these will load only the smallest foot print on the computer and not overpower it's limited resources.

Most of the current Linux distributions will automatically find and install the appropriate drivers for your machine, so it's not like the 'old days' where you had to find and install all your drivers.

You can add as many features to your installed version of Linux as you like but the more you add the greater the resource usage.
I would build a computer like your brothers with the intent of it being nothing more than an Internet surfer; ie no gaming or heavy graphics apps.

If you really like Ubuntu then there is a version called Xubuntu that is designed for older computers like yours happy.gif

------------------------------------------

[linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image]

(Login sharkfinDave)
AWF Approved Poster

cool, just what I wanted to hear.

No score for this post
November 12 2010, 10:15 PM 

I worried about the whole driver issues like the old days of painful reinstalling each driver.
Good to know we've advanced. haha.
Thanks again. wink.gif

(Login theneilo1)
AWF Approved Poster

Dave i build computers......Ram is far too low...>>>>

No score for this post
November 12 2010, 6:16 PM 

You need to open the back of the laptop and get at least a Gig in there,2 x matched 512mb should do the trick,Sempron processor speed is ok at 2600mhz but the ram lets it down.Its too low for the processor to do what you want.
I would format the drive,reinstall XP sp3 do all the updates for Windows and microsoft there should be around 80 of them.Backup to disc what you need before hand and reinstall from scratch.Bummer i know but your starting on a level playing field then.
You must make sure the RAM is the correct speed to go with the processor and its usually written on the RAM you take out.Get a matched pair of 512mb from kingston or Crucial memeory and you will be flying.

Theneilo uk

[linked image]

(Login sharkfinDave)
AWF Approved Poster

cool, good advice.

No score for this post
November 12 2010, 7:15 PM 

thats what I figured, system is not enough. well, ram is always ultra important.
Thanks Neilo. wink.gif
Have a good one.

(Login sharkfinDave)
AWF Approved Poster

update

No score for this post
November 13 2010, 2:33 PM 

Ok another update after playing around all night, lol.

So I figured out how to size the oversized virtual desktop issue.
I played around with pre-sizes/resolution by "ctrl+alt+[- +]". This let me scroll off the screen into the other quadrants of multi grid desktop set up that was defaulted.
I am now able to get my taskbar, better yet the peppermint logo and menus. Yay! From the menu, I changed my monitor settings to normal, and all fits on the screen as it should. Happy about this.
Well, peppermint does look/feel good, but my system clearly can't handle it. So i'll try source more memory to see if that helps, and then I'll remove it and de-partition drive if possible.
Puppy ran a little better IMO, but still has the lag/lock ups too, just not as bad as what peppermint is causing.
So, another question, would I really benefit a huge difference with 512mb RAM or 1gb RAM? I'm not even sure if I could max out my one slot of memory with 1gb.
I don't know what motherboard is to research capacity loads. sad.gif

Thanks for all your help.
Dave.

Current Topic - OT buggered up the laptop, Poy/SteamAncre?help? ;)
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the AWF