The Asian Watch Forum

AWF Sales and Trading Post.. AWF Resources Forum.. Watch Reviews Forum.. Orient Watches Info Page..

Sea-Gull Watches Info Page.. Watch Collection and Picture Forum.. Universal Currency Converter.... The AWF Cafe...

Chinese Watches Info Page... The AWF Flea Market... Watch Deal References Forum...

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the AWF  

I know most everyone here appreciates good craftsmanship...

November 23 2010 at 6:40 PM
No score for this post

(Login Rseiko)
Founding Member
from IP address 216.14.146.61

I had my front door stripped of the paint
layers,and refinished in a more natural look.
The door is almost forty years old and had at
least 5 layers of paint colors on it.

It now has a dark walnut stain and a marine
clear coat protective finish.

I replaced the clear glass with a two-way mirror.

I wanted something that would set the door off. So I
found a blacksmith who turned my design idea into steel.

It's amazing what they can do with steel...

http://www.wmcraft.com/gallery/stair_and_balcony_rails/

My door...

Photobucket

The iron cross that will cover the mirror...

Photobucket

It looks so much better in person, the tool marks are more visible.
The cross was made with one piece of steel. I'll get it installed
over the next couple of days and post a pic of the finished job.

[linked image]

RICK

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login time_watcher)
AWF Approved Poster

Your door looks outstanding however.............

No score for this post
November 23 2010, 6:56 PM 

why on Earth would you put 2-way mirror in it?
Are you aware of the fact that 2 way mirror works just the opposite? By that I mean that during the day you can look out and no-one can see in but at night time it's the opposite.... you CANT see out but everyone else can see in!!
I know this as fact because I worked in the glass business for over 25 years! I'd seriously re-think that aspect and perhaps install a nice piece of colored glass such as Bottle glass or colored Flemish!

(Login Ancre-Steam)
Founding Member

or a nice iron door on the inside that can be swung open to see who is at the door :>) nt

No score for this post
November 23 2010, 6:59 PM 

------------------------------------------

[linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image]

(Login Rseiko)
Founding Member

Not the case...

No score for this post
November 23 2010, 8:27 PM 

When the entry hall is dark, as it always is at night, and our outside lights are on (they come on when it starts getting dark), people can't see in and we can see them. I checked it out before I installed it. I didn't want something I couldn't see out of.

[linked image]

RICK

(Login time_watcher)
AWF Approved Poster

Re: Not the case...

No score for this post
November 23 2010, 8:40 PM 

You are absolutely correct! I was "assuming" that there would be light in the hallway. In which case if there was then you could not see out! Most people dont realize that until it's too late! Same thing applies to those who put shade screens or privacy screens over their windows! At night when its dark outside and more light on the inside people can see in but you cant see out!

(Login Ancre-Steam)
Founding Member

The door looks great!

No score for this post
November 23 2010, 6:57 PM 

And the iron work will definitely add that extra bit of charm to it happy.gif

Looks like the iron worker must have go the piece cherry red then pulled the 'arms' around through the center; judging by the twists. A neat trick!

[linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image]

(Login Rseiko)
Founding Member

Don't let him hear you say "Iron Worker" Peter...

No score for this post
November 23 2010, 8:32 PM 

He's an "Artist Blacksmith". happy.gif

[linked image]

RICK

(Login Ancre-Steam)
Founding Member

Oops! ... Well he certainly is an artist :>) nt

No score for this post
November 23 2010, 8:48 PM 

(Login thianwong)
Founding Member

you make me feel old! haha! The walnut is 40 years old....well,

No score for this post
November 23 2010, 7:29 PM 

back in 1965 in high school woodwork, I made an end table of walnut! Those woods were common then...like mahogany too...the Japanese die for all wood products!

(Login Rseiko)
Founding Member

I was about ten when it was made...

No score for this post
November 23 2010, 8:30 PM 

I'm not sure what kind of wood it is, I used a walnut stain.

[linked image]

RICK

Current Topic - I know most everyone here appreciates good craftsmanship...
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the AWF