The Asian Watch Forum function N54_noerror(msg, url, lno) { return true; } //window.onerror = N54_noerror;

AWF Sales and Trading Post.. AWF Resources Forum.. Watch Reviews Forum.. Orient Watches Info Page..

Sea-Gull Watches Info Page.. Watch Collection and Picture Forum.. Universal Currency Converter.... The AWF Cafe...

Chinese Watches Info Page... The AWF Flea Market... Watch Deal References Forum...

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the AWF  

VERY OT (RANT)........... please feel free to delete if needed!

March 3 2011 at 1:05 PM
No score for this post

Rene~  (Login time_watcher)
AWF Approved Poster
from IP address 71.128.198.189

I was reading this morning about a couple in Nevada who were both un-employed and found it quite disturbing! I had NO idea that the un-employment rate was SO high there so I pursued a Google search just to see in comparison what other States un-employment rates were and I almost chocked on my coffee!!
This is what I found:

http://www.bls.gov/web/laus/lauhsthl.htm

"THEY" (whoever the hell "they" are) say that things are getting better and that we are recovering........ with SO many people losing their jobs and their homes who can afford such luxuries as gas, food, rent, clothing, schooling and etc etc?? So just how is it that we are "recovering? Recovering from what??
Gas here in the States is almost at $4.00 a gallon and climbing higher each day...... cost of food is climbing higher as is almost everything else! How can workers earning minimum wage afford to pay for gas to get to work when gas is 1/2 of what they earn per hour!
I am SO freeking sick and tired of this crap it almost makes me..... a grown man want to cry!!
To keep this also somewhat on a "watch" topic I also cant help but notice the asking prices of watches climbing higher then ever before! C/mon folks........ unless you have pockets so deep that you cant reach bottom who in hell is going to pay $1800.00 for a Mint 6105-8100 these days???
The list goes on and I too could also go on more but thats it......... RANT over (for now)
MODS......... if you fell this topic is out of order.... go ahead and delete it!

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

ZillaDeNeilo(AqualandKing)
(Login theneilo1)
AWF Approved Poster

Rene im actually with you on that one regardless..>>>

No score for this post
March 3 2011, 1:53 PM 

Fuel is to the point of Ridiculous here and more than you pay also?

Theneilo uk

[linked image]

poywatch
(Login saykobro)
Founding Member

As Clinton would say, "I feel your pain"! The "mods" here do not like to delete

No score for this post
March 3 2011, 3:17 PM 

except in very rare cases. This post, IMHO does not warrant deletion, editing, or locking.
Boomtown
Explode

This message has been edited by saykobro from IP address 173.168.72.216 on Mar 3, 2011 5:40 PM

Michael n Texas
(Login monbla256)
AWF Approved Poster

To put some things in perspective....

No score for this post
March 3 2011, 5:12 PM 

.... we pay some of the LOWEST prices for gasoline here on the North American continent compared to our friends in Europe. Here's a link to some current fuel cost data :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_and_diesel_usage_and_pricing

As for un-employment, yep it's bad and it is going to get worse as we are seeing the return to the historical economic NORM of Boss/Owner and Worker/Slave. Remember, the US was founded by an elite landed gentry class of folks who set up a REPRESENTATIVE DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC, NOT a DEMOCRACY. It was set up during the Age of Enlightenment as it was called then, with the idea that certain classes of folks knew what was needed for all the rest and THEY would control things. The concept of the MIDDLE CLASS as we have known it here in the US was and still is a Historical Economic ABNORMALITY which came about AFTER the world wide Deppression on the late 20's with the help of a mustacheoed paper hanger from Austria. WITHOUT WWII, we would not have come out of it by normal means till around 1959 or so. The whole nature of WORK is changing and we better get used to it. There is no going back, this is the 21st century like it or not.
Onward thru the Fog happy.gif

GeorgeRado
(Login GeorgeRado)
Founding Member

So Michael, in your opinion, what do you

No score for this post
March 3 2011, 6:44 PM 

think the nature of work is changing to, or back to?
Do you really believe that people will give up the advancements
in the style of life that they have achieved over the last century?
I would like to see people demanding better things from our politicians.
We Canadians tend to be a little too much like sheep and take whatever
is rammed down our throats, but I'm used to seeing Americans raising
a rucus whenever they see injustice.
I'd like to see more people insisting on some manufacturing staying in
North America. I'd like to see Japan, and China opening their markets to our
automobiles, which they never really have. I'm not suggesting protectionism,
but a level playing field.
Also, I really think we should buy more products built in North America and vote with our wallets.
I personally will never again buy an automobile or any other big ticket item not built in North America unless it is something not made here.
If you don't allow our products to be sold in your
country, your companies should be sent packing, and not have our markets available to you.
We should insist our politicians who for the most part are bought and paid for by corporate interests, represent the people which is
what they should be doing in the first place, and ensure that there is a level
playing field in business, and if you're going to close up manufacturing in
North America to go to China or elswhere, then no more corporate tax breaks
for you. There are countless things that could be done to bring back economic
growth, but our politicians do absolutley nothing, allowing the emerging markets to
as the Donald would say..."eat out lunch".
From what I've heard from Donald Trump so far, I really hope he takes a run at the
White House, for all our sakes.

This message has been edited by GeorgeRado from IP address 99.239.136.40 on Mar 3, 2011 7:28 PM

Michael in Texas
(Login monbla256)
AWF Approved Poster

I don't think the US or Canada for that matter are out of the loop so....

No score for this post
March 3 2011, 7:25 PM 

.... to speak as far as their economies go. I don't think the type or level of product manufacturing as we've known it will return here to the US but we still will exercise some economic control of DISTRIBUTION and DEVELOPMENT wise for products and services in the future. The "new" economy we will have will be based on development of technology if we do not "cut our nose off to spite ourselves" concerning EDUCATION. I do think the economics of life will be more spread out among countries in the future and we will not have so few nations where ALL the wealth is based. And our dollar may no longer be the predominant currency in the world.The rest of the world is hungry and we opened Pandora's box and she's NOT going back in happy.gif It's going to be a different world my grandchildren will live in than what I grew up with. Onward thru the Fog happy.gif

Rene~
(Login time_watcher)
AWF Approved Poster

TAXES..............

No score for this post
March 3 2011, 7:39 PM 

I think we are forgetting about the taxes we pay!
EVERY damn thing you buy you pay a tax on it..... yeah yeah......I understand that we must all pay our "fair" share but damnit man........ the high taxes are killing us here!
Do you realize that you pay taxes on taxes? Take for an example...... lets say you are fortunate enough to get a refund on your taxes but lo and behold the very next year you must add your refund from last year into your income so you end up paying taxes on it again!!!
GAS......... do you realize that out of a gallon of gas that over 50% of that price per gallon is TAXES!!!!!!!
WTF Uncle Sam........ give us a break here!

Edited to add: My Wife paid over 17k in taxes last year.... that's more then a lot of people make income wise for an entire year!

This message has been edited by time_watcher from IP address 71.128.198.189 on Mar 3, 2011 7:40 PM

Michael in Texas
(Login monbla256)
AWF Approved Poster

Yes we pay a good amount in taxes....

No score for this post
March 3 2011, 8:41 PM 

.... but you need to take a look at what they pay in Europe tax wise, much, much MORE than we do. We DON'T know what taxes are compared to our European brothers. happy.gif

Onward thru the Fog happy.gif

GeorgeRado
(Login GeorgeRado)
Founding Member

yes, taxes are a pain in the arse, but that is not the

No score for this post
March 3 2011, 9:22 PM 

problem. It's that good paying manufacturing jobs have been shipped
to China and other low wage countries to increase profit margins.
This talk of tech jobs, and info tech, etc. is great, but you can't
rely entirely on these. Manufacturing is needed for a strong economy.

Michael in Texas
(Login monbla256)
AWF Approved Poster

Get used to it, it aint coming back....

No score for this post
March 3 2011, 9:34 PM 

.... the American firms that engage in it need LOW cost labor and will go wherever they need to to find it. The days of the manufacturing based middle class are OVER here in the US. Sorry, but it's the 21st century and we are being dragged into it kicking and screaming. We need to stop "crying in our beer" about all this and take the lead again in new directions as we did back in the 19th century with manufacturing. If we don't, we WILL be left behind.
JMHO

Leslie S
(Login LES2900)
AWF Approved Poster

TAXES .......................... >>>>

No score for this post
March 3 2011, 11:42 PM 

.......>>> Most people are pissed because the high taxes we pay are not being used as they should be. In Ontario we are paying over 30% taxes on gas. All I hear in the radio is how people bitch about it... years ago they also told us that the Government won`t let the gas prices go above $1.00/Liter ... yeah RIGHT! Why would the government do ANYTHING about it? as the gas price go up, their 30% increases as well...

We are complainning for paying $1.21CAD/Liter of regular gas here but if you are planning to visit Europe any time soon, you`ll be in for a jaw dropping surprise. The price varies by country but it looks like most of Central Europe is priced at 1.50 - 1.60 and that`s in Euros! Converted to Canadian Dollars that`s $2.17

I`m not saying this to try to justify the 30% taxes on gas because I can`t. And once the gas price go up, soon after a lot of other thing will follow...exception from that is an increase in pay check... Its been over 3 years when I got a (crapy 2.5%) raise. But, I guess, I should be thankful I still have a job.

I don`t make things. I make things better !

GeorgeRado
(Login GeorgeRado)
Founding Member

This is the problem, we've become complacent....

No score for this post
March 4 2011, 4:35 PM 

some of us are too old to care...they've made their pile, they're pensions are good, they're OK so as long as things are good for a couple of more years who cares.
It's not taxes, or high fuel costs. Yes, these have a bearing on economic growth, but unless they are so high it's not such a huge issue. It's job....good paying, manufacturing jobs that we need.
You can't as a country be successful unless you mnake things. China knows this very well.
These high tech industry jobs people are always referring to...well that's great if you one of the few people it will employ to develop these new products and sytems, but again, the actual manufacture of these things will, if things continue as they are, go to China or some other emerging market. We have almost 400 million people in North America...how many people do you think high tech will employ?
Again it's this complacency that's gonna kill us. Michael's answer even implied that's it a foregone conclusion that we have lost most manufacturing to other countries and we just have to resign ourselves to having lost. We're still number 1 in the world in terms of economy and if people had some conviction and some balls we could turn things around. Problem is people are extremely short sighted. They would rather have the cheap goods right now even if it means that in 20 years there won't be any jobs here and they won't be able to afford any goods. Just one car produced here in N.A. supports countless jobs in all the periferal industries yet we still continue to buy imports in larger and larger numbers every year. The quality of N.A. cars is now at par with Japanese and Germans so really there's no excuse.
The Chinese have thousands of hackers offically sanctioned, that try and hack into our systems daily. They just hacked into the Canadian government systens last week. They have industrial spies working to steal anyting and everything, play with ther currency to give them an unfair advantage for their exports...etc. etc. it goes on and on. The Japamese and other countries flood our markets with their auto\s and goods, yet do not open their markets to our auto's......it makes me crazy to see that other countries (and rightfully so) are playing hardball, playing for keeps to become the top dog, and we who are/were number one are lazy, and have given up, and allowing ourselves a death from a thousand cuts.
I don't belive the can of worms has been opened and that it fait accompli.
We could get tough with our politicians and force them to get tough with other countries, we could buy more locally produced goods even though they may cost a little more.
Lots of things which could turn things around but it seems no one has any uts anymore.
Maybbe we have all become too big and fat and lazy and if we don't even fight for what we had maybbe we deserve to lose it.

This message has been edited by GeorgeRado from IP address 99.239.136.40 on Mar 4, 2011 4:40 PM

Leslie S
(Login LES2900)
AWF Approved Poster

Agree .......................................... >>>>

No score for this post
March 4 2011, 6:50 PM 

........... >>> with a lot a things you said.
The NA car manufacturing has a lot to prove to its own people/customers. The quality of the cars made in North America, for decades, was very low - at best. Looking back only 10-15 years, the N.A cars were bigger, comfortable and cheapper. But where they got beaten up by import cars was in quality and reliability. Yes, it was cheapper to maintain a N.A. car since the parts/labour were cheapper too but they had to be serviced more often than the import. It is true, for the same amout of $$ you got much "more" N.A made car but "more" didn`t come with "better".... And as we all know, ultimately that`s what dragged down the Big 3. They started making changes and that`s good. But by then, they lost a lot a customers. Its been years since the last time I even looked at the GM or Chevy, altho I like them. They didn`t offer anything new, anything competitive. But like I said - that has changed in the past 6-8 months and that`s realy good. They are finaly listening to the people.

As far as groceries goes, my wife refuses to by anything that`s not coming from Ontario farms. She`ll compromise with "Product of US" but she`ll buy notihng "Made in Mexico" or "China". On numerous ocassions she gets fed up while shopping because all labels read "Mexico" or "China". One time she ended up calling the store manager and and giving him a "lecture" about supporting the Ontario farms.

I don`t make things. I make things better !

Ancre-Steam
(Login Ancre-Steam)

Les...that is an excellent start!

No score for this post
March 4 2011, 8:56 PM 

My wife is trying to work to the '100 mile diet' plan.

Basically, it means only buying products that are locally produced or manufactured within 100 miles of where you live.
Obviously this doesn't include cars(where I live) but we can nearly buy everything we eat within the 100 mile limit and there are also many other local products we can take advantage of without resorting to imports or import prices.

All you have to do is look a few km beyond Walmart or the other big box store and you can buy better products as well as support the local economy! happy.gif
I know that you folks in Ontario have many more local resources than I do...we used to take advantage of them all the time when we lived there happy.gif

------------------------------------------

[linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image]

Ancre-Steam
(Login Ancre-Steam)

George...if you're serious; I'm with you!

No score for this post
March 4 2011, 8:48 PM 

Do you have the will and energy to get into politics? I don't know if I do but you've seen how tenacious I can be when an issue gets my attention wink.gif

Maybe you and I and a couple of other Canadian forum folks could form a new party and make a difference!
Just need to find a little funding I guess...we only need someone with good fund raising savoir faire happy.gif

Something to think about...........

------------------------------------------

[linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image]

GeorgeRado
(Login GeorgeRado)
Founding Member

yeah, I've often thought about it, but it's a really dirty business.

No score for this post
March 4 2011, 10:53 PM 

who knows, if I get fed up enough.....

Jeje
(Login Jeje3325)
AWF Approved Poster

rant...

No score for this post
March 3 2011, 8:02 PM 

Yeah, I'm in Canada and we have gas at $1,33 today sad.gif

Do I like paying taxes Of course not.
I still feel very fortunate to live here, there is many many places on this planet where life is.. precarious to say the least. I don't say that things could not be better a lot a lot better but they could also be much worse.

Its still painful be be taxed like we are in Quebec

*Never a waste of time to look at a watch*

Michael in Texas
(Login monbla256)
AWF Approved Poster

Gas here in N.Texas is at ....

No score for this post
March 3 2011, 8:43 PM 

... $3.49.99 US today. That's what I payed at the pump today whenI filled up happy.gif

Rene~
(Login time_watcher)
AWF Approved Poster

Gas today here in California was................

No score for this post
March 3 2011, 9:15 PM 

$3.89 for the reg. cheap stuff! It has been rising at a steady rate of .04 cents per day!

Michael in Texas
(Login monbla256)
AWF Approved Poster

Put your speculative $s in gas and oil futures....

No score for this post
March 3 2011, 9:36 PM 

.... and prescription drugs happy.gif

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the AWF