The Asian Watch Forum function N54_noerror(msg, url, lno) { return true; } //window.onerror = N54_noerror;

AWF Sales and Trading Post.. AWF Resources Forum.. Watch Reviews Forum.. Orient Watches Info Page..

Sea-Gull Watches Info Page.. Watch Collection and Picture Forum.. Universal Currency Converter.... The AWF Cafe...

Chinese Watches Info Page... The AWF Flea Market... Watch Deal References Forum...

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the AWF  

Decisions ................................. >>>>

May 8 2011 at 9:10 AM
No score for this post

(Login LES2900)
AWF Approved Poster
from IP address 24.141.131.230

........... >>> when you decide to sell off watches out of your collection, what criteria you use? How do you select those watches: not worn in a long time, crapy looking, emotinal value, dollar value, brand, etc....

I know I will have to sell off some of the watches I have and I`m just trying to make my selection... but I can`t! I know there is that saying: "you know it when you are ready" but I can`t wait that long. And what if I`m never ready? So, there is got to be something else... because the problem is that I only kept the watches I wanted to have and keep. So.... I`m stuck!

I don`t make things. I make things better !

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login Zoodles95)
Forum Owner

In the past it was extras or the ones I wore the least in a particular type...

No score for this post
May 8 2011, 10:10 AM 

Lately it has been the ones that will raise the most funds or are easier to move. A lot of more "painful" sales have happened in the last 6 months. Outside of the 62MAS though I knew that I would be able to replace most of them relatively easily...

Take a good look at your watches and see which ones you like or wear the most. Put those off to the side and see what's left. You might find a few left that are very sellable that you will not "miss" quite as much.

Also, you might be planning on buying a watch that will "usurp" another watches position in your rotation thus making that watch "expendable". That is how I justified moving the Doxa 5000T even though I really liked it. I still kind of miss this watch but moving the 5000T raised funds which went to the Planet Ocean.

Same for the Doxa 750T. Some of the funds of that watch went towards the SD 600.

The SD 600? Nope... Did not want to sell that one. The funds got me through a couple of months expense wise. Believe me I miss that one but I know that one day when things are better I will either snag another of those beauties or one of these amazing watches...
[linked image]

(Login LES2900)
AWF Approved Poster

I suppose .................................. >>>

No score for this post
May 8 2011, 11:40 AM 

.......... >>> I would be able to find a couple (2- 3) of "expendables". Unfortunately they won`t bring in a significant amount.... almost like it wouldn`t be worth selling them. The rest, is the where the $$ sits but those are also the ones that get into the more regular rotation.
Well, I guess I will have to cut into those...
I think I have to change the way I look at those watches... Instead of asking myself "why do I wanna sell it" I should ask myself "why do I wanna keep it" and if I can`t answer that, off it goes.

(Login thianwong)
Founding Member

yup, very hard to decide...like the oft asked question what watch

No score for this post
May 8 2011, 5:11 PM 

would you pick to have with you on a deserted island haha! When push comes to shove, I could wear any watch so long as it is reliable. Otherwise, like Zoodles, situational ethics comes into play....what can I sacrifice now to pay bills etc???....watches are only things.....in the final analysis....people and our loved ones come first, not our toys.....IMO.

(Login Ancre-Steam)
Founding Member

Les...I would let everything but my current favourite go...

No score for this post
May 8 2011, 9:00 PM 

sure you'll end up having seller's remorse but that will happen no matter what you sell.

So just move along the ones you aren't currently really in love with and wearing often happy.gif

------------------------------------------

[linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image]

(Login LES2900)
AWF Approved Poster

Yeah .......................................... >>>>

No score for this post
May 8 2011, 9:35 PM 

......... >>> I suppose I have to bite the bullet. But it would be so much easier if I would have 2 of each. But noooo... I only have one... one I like!
How can I get rid of the one Sawtooth? Or a 12 jewel quartz Citizen Alarm Chrono? Or the Orange Monster? Or the vintage 7548? And the list goes on .... but I will get down to the bottom of it. Just need some time to think about them...

(Login Zoodles95)
Forum Owner

Sell the easiest to replace ones first...

No score for this post
May 8 2011, 9:47 PM 

The Orange Monster is very easy to find so start there. Sawtooths are getting harder to find but they are out there. The 7548 will be harder to replace so that goes third and so on...

Check current and past ads to see what fair market value is and see if your watch is similar/better/worse condition than the ones you are price comparing with and go from there...

I like to combine items with a discount to save on shipping and headaches for myself but that is just me...

As for your watches that are not worth enough to make it worth shipping... Put them together in a lot for a decent price and put it out there for consideration. Again, give yourself some wiggle room to account for shipping and Paypal fees but price them well enough that someone might bite. A little money and shipping watches you do not like anymore is better than keeping 10-30 watches you will never wear anyways.

I have done this before with mixed success. Worth a shot though...

(Login LES2900)
AWF Approved Poster

I was thinking ................................. >>>>

No score for this post
May 8 2011, 10:06 PM 

.........>> the same thing about mixing them up and sell them like that. I will eventualy get around it - the more I chew on the idea, the more I`m getting used to the fact that I will have to sell the ones I never wanted to sell. I will deal with the remorse later...

(Login Zoodles95)
Forum Owner

Promise yourself that you will reward yourself later...

No score for this post
May 8 2011, 10:11 PM 

I am preparing to sell a watch I really like and it is hard to find as well. It will help pay for my trucking school and at the end of the day the reward of a new career more than offsets losing a watch I really, really like. happy.gif

(Login Jeje3325)
AWF Approved Poster

It is hard for me as well...

No score for this post
May 8 2011, 10:52 PM 

I've been looking at all my pieces and its very hard to let go...

Some I don't wear anymore but are getting harder to replace.

I'm with you Leslie, I guess I put too much emotions into it

*Never a waste of time to look at a watch*

(Login time_watcher)
AWF Approved Poster

I have several I am debating on selling but.......

No score for this post
May 8 2011, 10:56 PM 

it took me a long time in some instances to find them.
The Mid-Sized Zodiac GMT for example is one of them.
They are SOooooooo scarce that if I ever decided to sell and buy another down the road it might be next to impossible!
The thing is....... As much as I love that watch I rarely wear it due to it's size! sad.gif

(Login sharkfinDave)
AWF Approved Poster

Sell, sell, sell...buy, buy, buy...its a perpetual cycle. nt

No score for this post
May 8 2011, 11:21 PM 

(Login AJCanada)
Archer Watches

Going through the same thought process right now....

No score for this post
May 9 2011, 8:45 AM 

I will most certainly be selling my Blancpain Leman, as soon as it returns from the spa in Switzerland. That one is already decided....but I expect it will be a couple of months back at the factory, so that one will be sold later this summer I expect.

[linked image]

[linked image]

I am now toying with selling the JLC Master Moon....this one is a much more difficult decision. I don't think there is a better looking complete calendar watch out there. This one is discontinued, and sort of getting a cult following. The Master Calendar that replaced it is not nearly as nice looking as this watch is....

[linked image]

I haven't worn the Blancpain in several months, so this one is a fairly easy one to let go of. The JLC is much more difficult, and I'm actually wearing it today wondering about the sale. I rarely sell watches, because I am very careful to buy them after a lot of thought - at least that was the case in the past. I have done more spontaneous buying lately, but not at the same price level as these were.

I tend to wear the PAM 104 and the vintage stuff more often than some of my other modern pieces.

Definitely tough decisions. I hate making them!

Cheers, Al

Current Topic - Decisions ................................. >>>>
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the AWF  
Find more forums on WatchesCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement