The Asian Watch Forum function N54_noerror(msg, url, lno) { return true; } //window.onerror = N54_noerror;

AWF Sales and Trading Post.. AWF Resources Forum.. Watch Reviews Forum.. Orient Watches Info Page..

Sea-Gull Watches Info Page.. Watch Collection and Picture Forum.. Universal Currency Converter.... The AWF Cafe...

Chinese Watches Info Page... The AWF Flea Market... Watch Deal References Forum...

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the AWF  

Seagull 55Anniversary model incoming! couldn't resist the price nor

May 22 2011 at 9:09 PM
No score for this post
  (Login thianwong)
Founding Member
from IP address 121.84.169.199

AlbertaTime's photos haha! should be interesting....41mm and rose gold!  (photo stolen from the WUS poster..)

"[linked image]

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login Ancre-Steam)
Founding Member

You lucky dog :>)

No score for this post
May 22 2011, 9:42 PM 

That watch is almost like it was made to your tastes!

I know you're going to love it...I know I sure would happy.gif

Looking forward to it's arrival and the introductory montage happy.gif

------------------------------------------

[linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image]

Thian
(Login thianwong)
Founding Member

Can you tell me anything about the ST6103 movement? tried

No score for this post
May 22 2011, 10:05 PM 

finding out but NADA..just that it is handwinding? auto?

(Login Ancre-Steam)
Founding Member

I'm not aware of any 61xx series movements from Sea Gull...

No score for this post
May 22 2011, 10:12 PM 

could it be a typo and actually be ST1603? That is a real caliber and is actually a skeleton version according to the engineering drawings I have...
[linked image]

[linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image]

Chascomm
(Login Chascomm_)
Chinese Watch Guru

It's a variant of the old ST6...

No score for this post
May 22 2011, 10:31 PM 

see my comments in the other post.

There are dozens of variants of the ST6 (small plate, large plate, form plate, auto, hand-winding, open-heart, skeleton, solid, dozens of calendar options). Not sure if this one is on the 19mm or 26mm main plate because I can't tell if the rotor weight extends beyond the window.

sharkfin Dave
(Login sharkfinDave)
AWF Approved Poster

love the freedom 55 piece. ;)

No score for this post
May 22 2011, 10:07 PM 

Congrats T-man! Nice piece.

I didn't realize its at such a great price.
Looks so expensive, and just assumed it was, but very good price.

Look forward to your review.
I'm tempted once again.

cheers.

Tblingster
(Login thianwong)
Founding Member

yeah me too..thought it about $450usd but $108???? plus $35 to Japan...

No score for this post
May 22 2011, 10:21 PM 

still a deal.....last rose gold was the Semdu one! which Poyman still has ....

Chascomm
(Login Chascomm_)
Chinese Watch Guru

Flavour of the month watches were being discussed...

No score for this post
May 22 2011, 10:22 PM 

on this forum last week. the Sea-Gull 55 seems to be fitting that category right now. The difference is that being a commemorative model (55 years of Tianjin Sea-Gull last year), it will always remain a marker for a particular moment in time quite apart from its popularity. And it's a damn fine looking watch.

Actually this watch interests me for a few reasons apart from it's good looks. This is the kind of Sea-Gull watch that a year or two ago one would expert to house an ST16 movement. However we have recently heard that Sea-Gull have dropped the ST16 range from their own brand. This happening at the same time as the supply of ST16s to other companies has steadily increased. Or to put it in a grosely simplistic way, in comparing the Sea-Gull Group to Swatch Group, Sea-Gull brand may be regarded as Sea-Gull Group's 'Omega' while ST16 (possibly made in a different factory?) is Sea-Gull Group's 'ETA'. So now that the ST16 has asumed the mantle of Sea-Gull's universal OEM generic movement, it is particularly interesting that the 55 is powered by an ST6, the ST16's generic predecessor. This tells us that the future of the ST6 range is probably assured for the foreseeable future, not just the open-heart versions, and will retain a place in Sea-Gull brand's entry-level models, below the ST17. This suggests to me that in spite of recent price hikes, affordable Sea-Gull watches will remain available. And also, considering a new case needed to be developed for the 55 (at least I'm not aware of an ST6 auto in this size before the 55), it is likely that we will see the 55 case used in an unlimited edition maybe this year. That's my prediction. Of course it will never be quite as special as the 55.

(Login Ancre-Steam)
Founding Member

I only have one example of the ST6 and it's in a ...

No score for this post
May 22 2011, 10:42 PM 

replica watch.

But, I feel it is definitely a better movement than the ST16s that I have seen and handled.
The level of finish is about average but there is just something a little better about the ST6; it seems to be a smoother running caliber and timekeeping appears to be a little more consistent than the ST16; which is already excellent happy.gif

I know a sample of one doesn't mean much in the grand scale of things but I really like the one I've got...too bad it's in a notorious case wink.gif

(Login AlbertaTime)
Curator: AMCH

Sometimes I think te ST6 only looks "second-rate" because it...

No score for this post
May 22 2011, 11:28 PM 

...gets compared to the ST5.

My ST6 watches all run very, very well.

AMCH/PR - Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

(Login Ancre-Steam)
Founding Member

Also, there is the erroneous stigma of ladies calibers...

No score for this post
May 22 2011, 11:41 PM 

which is unfortunate. If we look at Seiko ladies calibers, many of them are of the high quality, high beat kind.

Just as in case size; smaller does not mean inferior happy.gif

Thian
(Login thianwong)
Founding Member

thanks, all for your input....I just read the ST6 is auto and handwinding , 21,600bph...

No score for this post
May 23 2011, 12:37 AM 

good enough for me...happy.gif

(Login Ancre-Steam)
Founding Member

Thian, it hacks too :>) nt

No score for this post
May 23 2011, 10:56 AM 

Current Topic - Seagull 55Anniversary model incoming! couldn't resist the price nor
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the AWF