The Asian Watch Forum function N54_noerror(msg, url, lno) { return true; } //window.onerror = N54_noerror;

AWF Sales and Trading Post.. AWF Resources Forum.. Watch Reviews Forum.. Orient Watches Info Page..

Sea-Gull Watches Info Page.. Watch Collection and Picture Forum.. Universal Currency Converter.... The AWF Cafe...

Chinese Watches Info Page... The AWF Flea Market... Watch Deal References Forum...

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the AWF  

Hey Peter.............

July 23 2011 at 6:14 PM
No score for this post

(Login time_watcher)
AWF Approved Poster
from IP address 71.128.196.173

well......... at least I'm not the only one having probs in removing the Arnie bezel!
I took it earlier this morning in to my watch maker and after fiddling with it for about 5 minutes he couldnt remove it either!
He said he had no idea at the moment what the problem might be but told me to leave it and he would look at it on Monday to see what, if anything he could do!
Worst comes to worse I'll leave as is if he cant remove it and order a new insert from Noah and it will then be almost as good as new!

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login Ancre-Steam)
Founding Member

Perhaps someone glued it on :<( nt

No score for this post
July 23 2011, 6:25 PM 

------------------------------------------

[linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image]

Thian
(Login thianwong)
Founding Member

or, if you would be willing, send the watch to Jake and have him try

No score for this post
July 23 2011, 6:58 PM 

since he fixed a Seiko bezel for me. It would not rotate...he found that it was bent!, removed and replaced it with one of his spares....

I would keep trying the soap method and after repeated tries, and using the blade, then see if you can loosen it up. The shroud is the hard to replace item on this watch and yours is good......so persistence might pay off.....

(Login AJCanada)
Archer Watches

They get bent because....

No score for this post
July 24 2011, 3:59 PM 

people remove them without having the right tools. Jamming one case knife under the bezel isn't the best way to do this job....

I just repaired an Omega Seamaster Chronograph that someone had pried the bezel off. Distorted the bezel to the point the insert popped out, and in the process hacked up the surefaces on the case where the bezel rides, and also the lugs of the watch. Complete butcher job...

(Login time_watcher)
AWF Approved Poster

Re: They get bent because....

No score for this post
July 24 2011, 4:08 PM 

I dont think (I hope not anyway) it's bent I just think its FULL and I mean FULL of gunk thats preventing it from coming off!
I sure hope bent is not the case as IF it is bent..... it's going to be impossible to find another one!

THIS is just some of the crud I found after removing the shroud....... can you imagine what lies under the bezel??? I cant even imagine! sad.gif

[linked image]

Leslie S
(Login LES2900)
AWF Approved Poster

That gunk ............................. >>>>

No score for this post
July 24 2011, 5:27 PM 

.............. >>> can also be glue that was overflowing. But like you said: lets hope its not.

I don`t make things. I make things better !

(Login AJCanada)
Archer Watches

Have you tried cleaning it?

No score for this post
July 24 2011, 7:16 PM 

Run it under warm water, use a little soap and a toothbrush, and scrub around the bezel. I freed one of Mark's up recently by doing the same. It wasn't completely jammed, but it only took a few minutes to get it moving very nicely. I didn't even remove the shroud.

To be honest this is not a great design, and the shroud around the bezel is pretty bad for trapping stuff. I just replaced a bezel on a Seiko quartz chronograph, and it was completely jammed with debris underneath. It was changed because it was all marked up, but regardless these areas need regular cleaning to keep them moving freely.

Of course, if you suspect the water resistance of the watch, you need to get that checked first.

Cheers, Al

(Login Ancre-Steam)
Founding Member

You're right Al...

No score for this post
July 24 2011, 7:34 PM 

short of the bezel being glued on, it should respond to patient soaking.

I have a Timex sub homage watch that literally has the bezel glued on. It was a gift so I'm not about to destroy it by forcing the issue. Fortunately, the 12 o'clock 'pip' is perfectly lined up happy.gif

Patience is the key here...after all, it probably took 20 years to cement this thing in place; a couple of hours or even days is a small matter of time to undo what time has done happy.gif

[linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image]

(Login time_watcher)
AWF Approved Poster

Re: Have you tried cleaning it?

No score for this post
July 24 2011, 8:59 PM 

Actually no...... I did not try to clean it!
On the other Forum about 1/2 the people who replied said to try soap and water to clean it and the other 1/2 warned me against doing so! I opted to let my watch maker do what he does best and try to remove it!

(Login Ancre-Steam)
Founding Member

You have to realize that half the peopl in this hobby are...

No score for this post
July 24 2011, 9:16 PM 

suffering from OCD and will never take a stand on anything; instead favouring no action at all wink.gif

Your watch guy will probably boil the heck out of the watch(movement removed, hopefully) and have you back in perfect working order before he even calls you happy.gif

Current Topic - Hey Peter.............
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the AWF