The Asian Watch Forum

AWF Sales and Trading Post.. AWF Resources Forum.. Watch Reviews Forum.. Orient Watches Info Page..

Sea-Gull Watches Info Page.. Watch Collection and Picture Forum.. Universal Currency Converter.... The AWF Cafe...

Chinese Watches Info Page... The AWF Flea Market... Watch Deal References Forum...

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the AWF  

Big and small watches...

June 25 2012 at 9:40 PM
No score for this post

Chascomm  (Login Chascomm_)
Chinese Watch Guru
from IP address 151.130.37.17

Yesterday I wore my 1954 Zvezda:

[linked image]

Today I'm wearing my Shanghai 2L open-heart:

[linked image]

The Shanghai is maybe slightly more than twice the size of the Zvezda.  These two watches represent the current extremes of size in my wristwatch collection.

What are the biggest and smallest watches that you wear on your wrist?

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login Ancre-Steam)
Founding Member

Woah! If the wind catches the lugs on the Shanghai...

No score for this post
June 25 2012, 10:51 PM 

you better be tethered to the ground wink.gif

That is an excellent comparison in watch size vs wrist size.
It demonstrates just how much of a range there is that still look ok on the wrist happy.gif

Of the ones that I actually wear; they all range between 38mm and 43mm. Anything larger is usually also too heavy to be comfortable and anything smaller would have to be one of my older dress watches that I generally don't wear.

------------------------------------------

[linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image]

(Login anzac1957)
Orient Enabler

Could easily be these two for me..

No score for this post
June 26 2012, 12:24 AM 

[linked image]
[linked image]

37mm for the Royal Calendar Orient from 1961 and 43mm for the new Orient Classic Re-edition..

Cheers

http://anzacsorientwatchspot.blogspot.com/

[linked image]
Tony Lewis
New Zealand

This message has been edited by anzac1957 from IP address 203.97.104.27 on Jun 26, 2012 2:41 AM

Ninja010
(Login Ninja010)
AWF Approved Poster

Nice vintage Royal there!

No score for this post
June 26 2012, 8:02 PM 

Specifically, the calendar version!!

You probably know that "Royal" was Orient's highest quality movement @ time of it's introduction (1958) & it served as the base for both this calendar version & for the 1st Generation automatic wind watch from Orient...

my Super Auto "Perfect Self Winding" is written up here in an earlier post/thread so you can get a look (in & out).

Really quite nice watches from Orient that were designed to compete w/ such things as Seiko Cronos and Citizen Deluxe (also intro'd 1958). I had a chance recently to try for a Citizen Hi-Line Date [Hi-Line was successor to Citizen Deluxe] @ auction here [Philippines] but let it 'pass' due to questions over condition (movement was not shown also)... see auction report:

http://seikoholics.yuku.com/sreply/4463/HI-LINE-Date-HLD15801

And, thanks to Sweephand's Citizen movement table AND his Orient movement table for that info!! You can find the Citizen table both on his blog & @ Dr. Seiko Database [Citizen section]. The Orient table is referenced out of Dr. Seiko [Orient database section], but I'm not sure if it's also found @ his Citizen blog.

===========
Now, for me ... I'd have to say I go anywhere from a "standard" '40s/'50s era dress watch of about 34mm ... all the way to a Seiko 6138 Bullhead [Kuro Uma or Cha Uma] or 'Big/Small Eye' [Yachtman, UFO] 6138-001x. I can barely get away with the 6138s on my wrist happy.gif

===============================================
[linked image]

Seiko Matsuda
The Patron Saint of Seiko Collectors

(Login anzac1957)
Orient Enabler

Thanks.. scored it from Sweephand....

No score for this post
June 28 2012, 12:15 AM 

and the re-edition came care of Wayne Lee..

http://anzacsorientwatchspot.blogspot.com/

[linked image]
Tony Lewis
New Zealand

This message has been edited by anzac1957 from IP address 118.149.106.86 on Jun 28, 2012 12:16 AM

(Login LES2900)
AWF Approved Poster

Those are prety cool ......................... >>>

No score for this post
June 26 2012, 6:47 AM 

.......... >>> I don`t have a lot of small watches. The only small one I can think of is this Citizen...

[linked image]

....and the biggest one would be this Timex

[linked image]

However, none of the above are the heaviest. But that would be a whole different category..

I don`t make things. I make things better !

Chascomm
(Login Chascomm_)
Chinese Watch Guru

I like that Citizen....

No score for this post
June 26 2012, 10:22 PM 

It's amazing what they could pack into a watch of that size back then. Imagine how many features they could pack into a modern large size watch if each part of the interface was scaled the same as that Citizen. It would be like mission control on your wrist!

Current Topic - Big and small watches...
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to the AWF