Return to Index  

Me109 Fini!

June 1 2011 at 9:42 PM

Ted Preston  (Login TeddieP)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 24.79.232.253

Dang it all, I can't get over the cool builds going on here. What fun! I'm calling the little Me109 done, such as she is:
[linked image]
Following William De Coster's advice on this Hobby Boss kit, I shortened the landing gear, but it still looked a wee bit too long in the end:
[linked image]
[linked image]
And those kinked landing gear doors - what the? They're supposed to line up straight along the landing gear struts, but were obviously molded to lay down flush with the wing if you chose the 'gear up' configuration, and I caught it only after I had super glued the whole works together:
[linked image]
My camera makes that RLM 65 look like a sky green colour, but trust me - that's Hellblau 65 alright:
[linked image]
I've only ever built one other 109. A Hasegawa Me109E kit that I converted to a Bf109D model (my first ever conversion project), back in the mid 80's. It's the oldest surviving kit I own and it's a battered, war-weary model that has survived four moves of 8,000 miles plus and a hell of a lot of damage along the way, but I just can't part with it or rebuild it, because I like it just the way it is:
[linked image]
So what do I know from Luftwaffe colours? Nada. Is this an accurate representation of a Battle Of Britain era Me 109? Nope. The unit emblem I used for this build came from the same aftermarket decal sheet as the Hasegawa 109. The unit wasn't identified on the sheet. Turns out it's for NG77 - a night fighter unit flying D models in Norway in May 1940. Oops! Ah well, I liked the look of it so I slapped it on:
[linked image]
It also turns out the topside camouflage I picked for this bird may not be correct either. Sheesh! After some quick and dirty Internet research, I based the scheme on this information:
[linked image]
The caption is too small to read, but it says this scheme was used from the Spring of 1940 onward. Good enough for me!:
[linked image]
Flaws and all, this kit was a real pleasure to build - it changed my jaded mind about Hobby Boss 'quick build' kits. And it sure looks good on the shelf with my other late 30's, early 40's kits:
[linked image]
Many thanks to everyone who offered their compliments, criticisms and advice on this Me109 and Luftwaffe WW2 builds in general! And..oh..here are a couple of teaser shots of an up and coming Tall Tale:
[linked image]
[linked image]
Wait for it!
Best...Ted...

WIP Builds:
Me109 Pt.1; Me109 Pt.2; Me109 Pt.3;

The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11;

Previous WIP Builds:
Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;
Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Respond to this message   
Responses

HyperScale's Group Build Guidelines

The objective of this Group Build is to encourage as many modellers as possible to build their kits and share their progress via words and photos on this Forum.

You are welcome to post general construction tips or relevant reference information and photos to this Forum too.

This Group Build will feature WWI Aircraft Kits.

1. This Group Build will run until 31 December, 2011.

2. Build as many kits as you like.

3. Conversions, aftermarket and scratchbuilding are all permitted.

4. Any markings are acceptable.

5. Document your progress and do a write-up on your build - where did you have trouble, what improvements did you make, what markings did you choose and why? It would be GREAT if everyone would do a writeup and submit it to HyperScale as a Feature Article.

Posting or replying to messages on The Group Build Forum requires visitors to register. If you have not already registered on one of HyperScale's other Forums, you will need to:

1. First register with Network 54, the Forum provider.Click here to register with Network 54.

2. Then, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

free counters