Return to Index  

Night Lightning 1

August 9 2011 at 4:42 AM

Stuart Milliken  (Login StuartMilliken)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 209.237.253.48

When I was last seen here I was starting on the Kopro MiG 15 UTI. Several sheets of sandpaper later my interest began to wane--with the various warped and poorly molded parts, the effort just didn't feel rewarding. Maybe I'll get back to it some day, but I always reserve the right to be fickle in my modeling endeavors.

Since then I've been working on a nice 1/48 kit, but to keep it company on the workbench I've also started this:

[linked image]

Although it never saw service in the war, but to me it nevertheless rates a solid 10 on the Cool-O-Meter.

The kit has some issues. Among them, separate propeller blades that are not perfectly shaped and have some flash:

[linked image]

The plastic is also a tad hard and brittle, and the surfaces have a sort of frosted texture. Surface detail is pretty nice with petite panel lines, although the lines are a bit sloppy in places. Anyway, I'm determined not to obsess over this, and hope to enjoy a relatively quick build and put most of my effort into the particular challenges of the all-black paint job.

I've done a quick and simple job on the cockpit, only adding very basic tape seat belts:

[linked image]

I've also stuffed in all the lead weight I can. I can never judge how much is enough, but I figure more is better than insufficient, so I'll also put some in the engine nacelles.

The fit of this kit leaves much to be desired. Careful work with Extra Thin Liquid Cement and clamps is necessary, although there are still some gaps to deal with:

[linked image]

The engineering of the major parts also fills me with trepidation; lots of room for wonky alignment:

[linked image]

Looks like care and patience is called for--tough for yours truly, Mr. Sloppy and Impatient, but we'll see how it goes.

Stuart

Respond to this message   
Responses

HyperScale's Group Build Guidelines

The objective of this Group Build is to encourage as many modellers as possible to build their kits and share their progress via words and photos on this Forum.

You are welcome to post general construction tips or relevant reference information and photos to this Forum too.

This Group Build will feature WWI Aircraft Kits.

1. This Group Build will run until 31 December, 2011.

2. Build as many kits as you like.

3. Conversions, aftermarket and scratchbuilding are all permitted.

4. Any markings are acceptable.

5. Document your progress and do a write-up on your build - where did you have trouble, what improvements did you make, what markings did you choose and why? It would be GREAT if everyone would do a writeup and submit it to HyperScale as a Feature Article.

Posting or replying to messages on The Group Build Forum requires visitors to register. If you have not already registered on one of HyperScale's other Forums, you will need to:

1. First register with Network 54, the Forum provider.Click here to register with Network 54.

2. Then, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

free counters