Return to Index  

Mad About Migs Pt.3

September 12 2011 at 5:24 PM

Ted Preston  (Login TeddieP)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 50.72.34.53

Ha! The modelling gods have smiled upon me of late and granted me respite from the demands of work, family and friends. (Lousy weather and the line: "I'm tied up with an important project" works wonders with buying me much-needed modelling time.) So - back to the MiGs! Last post, we were moving on to the task of scratching together a cockpit for the Hack-cough-wheez-agawa MiG-17. I used a photo I found on the net as a 'scratch guide':
[linked image]
Well-armed with said guide, I hacked, slashed, bent and glued various and sundry bits and bobs of plastic sheet and sprue into a reasonable representation of one Soviet-style, Made-In-Minsk-On-A-Monday jet cockpit:
[linked image]
The factory workers did me proud, actually. On the far left is the original cockpit, and on the right the Pavla MiG-19 resin tub:
[linked image]
Eager to begin painting, I dashed off to the local hobby shop to buy some of that blueish-grey Russian cockpit paint. No dice - they didn't have the animal. Looking through the paint stash, I found a one-third full bottle of MM Duck Egg Blue. I grabbed a bottle of MM Schwarzgrau and started adding drops:
[linked image]
At 100 drops, I stopped. The paint was shaken (not stirred) happy.gif and applied with gusto. It came out looking pretty good to this Mark 1 eyeball, and detail painting began:
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
Test-fitting the cockpit bits shows the factory crew is on the right track, and that repaired inner wing fence to starboard looks the part:
[linked image]
Uh oh - here's a possible problem with the construction blueprints. For the nose it says "Put in a weight or something." Or something? Bwaaa Haaa! How about a refrigerator, boys?! Sheesh.
[linked image]
Okay, on to the KP MiG-19. The exhaust burners were thinned down, and a semblance of a turbofan-thingy cobbled together out of plastic card and painted. Gotta have something to look at up that..er..rear-end:
[linked image]
[linked image]
The MiG-19 cockpit tub and seat received the same home-made Russian cockpit colouring:
[linked image]
A start has been made on parts cleanup, with the nose gear featuring the humble beginnings of some added detail, including a clear bit for the landing light:
[linked image]
Ah yes - the Minsk factory floor is quiet now. The production day is done, the workers have trickled home to their wives, children, supper and an evening's entertainment watching ballet on State Television:
[linked image]
More later, Comrade-ski's. May your modelling knives stay sharp and your glue stay sticky!
Best...Ted...

Current Build:
Mad About Migs Pt. 1; Mad About Migs Pt. 2

Tall Tales:
Kanal Kampf: A Spitfire Story
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
Matilda Makeover Pt.1; Matilda Makeover Pt.2; Matilda Makeover Pt.3; Matilda Makeover Finish;

The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11; The Big Spit Finish;

Me109 Pt.1; Me109 Pt.2; Me109 Pt.3; Me109 Finish;

Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;

Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

Respond to this message   
Responses

HyperScale's Group Build Guidelines

The objective of this Group Build is to encourage as many modellers as possible to build their kits and share their progress via words and photos on this Forum.

You are welcome to post general construction tips or relevant reference information and photos to this Forum too.

This Group Build will feature WWI Aircraft Kits.

1. This Group Build will run until 31 December, 2011.

2. Build as many kits as you like.

3. Conversions, aftermarket and scratchbuilding are all permitted.

4. Any markings are acceptable.

5. Document your progress and do a write-up on your build - where did you have trouble, what improvements did you make, what markings did you choose and why? It would be GREAT if everyone would do a writeup and submit it to HyperScale as a Feature Article.

Posting or replying to messages on The Group Build Forum requires visitors to register. If you have not already registered on one of HyperScale's other Forums, you will need to:

1. First register with Network 54, the Forum provider.Click here to register with Network 54.

2. Then, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

free counters