Return to Index  

Mad About Migs Pt.5

October 20 2011 at 7:51 PM

Ted Preston  (Login TeddieP)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 50.72.34.53

Okay, I went to a clinic the other day and said "Look, Doc, I got this serious case of modelus interruptus, what can you do for me?" He gave me a shot. (Ouch - Dang!) I'm better now. Time for an update on the painfully slow Mig builds, starting with the Kopro Mig19. Got some paint on the landing gear, and did some 'heavy lifting' on the fuselage sanding and filling:
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
There was something that bothered me about that fuselage hump behind the canopy on the MiG19, when I compared it to my reference photos. I finally figured out it was too big forward, and cut a piece of it away to scale it back a bit:
[linked image]
The wing cannon ports were poorly molded and thin, especially after I sanded them to shape. I tried beefing them up with some scraps of sprue:
[linked image]
Hmmm. Not such a great idea, as it turned out - they still required a lot of puttying and sanding to get them right - then I'd still have to drill holes into the mess to fit the cannon barrels. I decided to hack them off and replace them with bits of 1/8 inch plastic rod:
[linked image]
[linked image]
After much sanding and scraping, they actually didn't look too bad after the wings were attached:
[linked image]
I had a heck of a time fairing in the Pavla resin cockpit piece, which includes the upper part of the instrument panel. There were gaping holes that needed to be filled with putty, but it was managed in the end. Seen here with a scratchbuilt head-up display and smothered with some black paint:
[linked image]
A coat of Tamiya rattle can Grey Primer brings us to our journey's rest so far on the Mig19:
[linked image]
Some bits of plastic were added to the Mig19 and Mig17 landing gears doors to aid in fitting later:
[linked image]
Okay, Minsk factory crew, where's that Mig17 hiding?" Ah - there she is, at the back of the factory floor! Our Fresco E has also had some landing gear paint work done:
[linked image]
Turning our attention to the canopy, the excellent vac form replacement provided by Ross MacArthur has been cut apart and the front piece fitted - a good fit it is, too!:
[linked image]
[linked image]
The Central Committee of Aircraft Production wishes to thank the mighty workers of the Minsk Mig Factory in their herculean efforts to complete these two aircraft for the glory of the Motherland and for the satisfaction of Comrade Commissar Prestonski!
Best...Ted...

Current Build:
Mad About Migs Pt. 1; Mad About Migs Pt. 2; Mad About Migs Pt. 3; Mad About Migs Pt. 4

Tall Tales:
Kanal Kampf: A Spitfire Story
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
Matilda Makeover Pt.1; Matilda Makeover Pt.2; Matilda Makeover Pt.3; Matilda Makeover Finish;

The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11; The Big Spit Finish;

Me109 Pt.1; Me109 Pt.2; Me109 Pt.3; Me109 Finish;

Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;

Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

Respond to this message   
Responses

HyperScale's Group Build Guidelines

The objective of this Group Build is to encourage as many modellers as possible to build their kits and share their progress via words and photos on this Forum.

You are welcome to post general construction tips or relevant reference information and photos to this Forum too.

This Group Build will feature WWI Aircraft Kits.

1. This Group Build will run until 31 December, 2011.

2. Build as many kits as you like.

3. Conversions, aftermarket and scratchbuilding are all permitted.

4. Any markings are acceptable.

5. Document your progress and do a write-up on your build - where did you have trouble, what improvements did you make, what markings did you choose and why? It would be GREAT if everyone would do a writeup and submit it to HyperScale as a Feature Article.

Posting or replying to messages on The Group Build Forum requires visitors to register. If you have not already registered on one of HyperScale's other Forums, you will need to:

1. First register with Network 54, the Forum provider.Click here to register with Network 54.

2. Then, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

free counters