Return to Index  

Mad About Migs Pt.6

November 16 2011 at 11:54 AM

Ted Preston  (Login TeddieP)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 64.4.69.110

Hiya Fellas - apologies for the tardy posts. Here's a quicky update to let you know the Migs are still in the game! Now that the vac canopy on the Mig17 has been cut apart, some detail is needed under there. My Squadron/Signal reference books are full of great exterior and cockpit shots, but a little thin on photos of the area behind the canopy. I traced out an outline of the canopy on some ten-thou sheet, and whittled away from there:
[linked image]
[linked image]
Now on to the Mig17 drop tanks. I couldn't find the original Hasagawa tanks. These are from a KP Mig15, with some bits of sheet carefully fitted for the little stabilizer fins on the tanks:
[linked image]
And the KP Mig19 wing tanks received the same treatment:
[linked image]
Okay, back to the Mig17 and its missiles. The kit missiles are a little different from the Alkali missiles shown in the Squadron book, so they'll need some work:
[linked image]
[linked image]
Turning to the Hasagawa kit missile rails, I cleaned 'em up and test-fitted, only to discover they were not a good fit:
[linked image]
I checked the Squadron book and - Carumba! The kit rails are shorter and smaller than what's shown in the book:
[linked image]
Krapinski! The Factory Commissar was not pleased at this latest delay in production and suspected sabotage! Only when the Workers Committee pointed out it was due to the Commissar's own faulty research and project management did he finally calm down. After an extra ration of Revolutionary Spirit (vodka) for the work crew (and a healthy dose for himself), the Commissar inspired the team to extra efforts to produce a new set of missile rails:
[linked image]
They still need some finishing work, but they're better than the originals. The production line is rolling again!
Best...Ted...

Current Build:
Mad About Migs Pt. 1; Mad About Migs Pt. 2; Mad About Migs Pt. 3; Mad About Migs Pt. 4; Mad About Migs Pt. 5

Tall Tales:
Kanal Kampf: A Spitfire Story
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
Matilda Makeover Pt.1; Matilda Makeover Pt.2; Matilda Makeover Pt.3; Matilda Makeover Finish;

The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11; The Big Spit Finish;

Me109 Pt.1; Me109 Pt.2; Me109 Pt.3; Me109 Finish;

Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;

Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

Respond to this message   
Responses

HyperScale's Group Build Guidelines

The objective of this Group Build is to encourage as many modellers as possible to build their kits and share their progress via words and photos on this Forum.

You are welcome to post general construction tips or relevant reference information and photos to this Forum too.

This Group Build will feature WWI Aircraft Kits.

1. This Group Build will run until 31 December, 2011.

2. Build as many kits as you like.

3. Conversions, aftermarket and scratchbuilding are all permitted.

4. Any markings are acceptable.

5. Document your progress and do a write-up on your build - where did you have trouble, what improvements did you make, what markings did you choose and why? It would be GREAT if everyone would do a writeup and submit it to HyperScale as a Feature Article.

Posting or replying to messages on The Group Build Forum requires visitors to register. If you have not already registered on one of HyperScale's other Forums, you will need to:

1. First register with Network 54, the Forum provider.Click here to register with Network 54.

2. Then, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

free counters