Return to Index  

Mad About Migs - Done!

February 2 2012 at 7:40 PM

Ted Preston  (Login TeddieP)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 50.72.11.176

Hey Ho Hyperscalers - I can't believe it's been a whole MONTH since my last post. I've never been away from this site for this long. I blame it on...well...lots of things, not the least of which my PC crashed two weeks ago - again (!) and I'm just back online. Okay, 'nuff said! Last episode, the Minsk factory paint shop was well into the masking and painting process on the Mig-17 and the Mig-19:
[linked image]
The first layer of paint was Floquil Old Silver cut three to one with Testors gloss black. After masking, the second layer was Old Silver cut three to one with Testors gloss white (on both ships). As mentioned in a previous post, I sprayed some of the darker mixture through a Verlinden scribing template onto a clear decal sheet, to create some home-made access panels:
[linked image]
The two-tone silver paint job turned out great, and the little access panel decals went on like a dream:
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
After a layer of gloss coat dried thoroughly for a day, the decals (a mix of Superscale sets and bits from the spares box) went on. The Mig-17 first:
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
Standing back a bit, that scratch-built cockpit and instrument panel looks darn good me thinks - those Minsk factory workers did a bang up job, I daresay! And many thanks to Ross McArthur for the home-made vacuform canopies:
[linked image]
That rakish look of the Mig is just too cool - that's why I like these birds!
[linked image]
Now for the Mig-19. The Kopro kit is a fair bit of work, but by gum, she looks great when finished. My only quibble is that the landing gear make her sit a wee bit too high, but it's barely noticeable really:
[linked image]
[linked image]
The kit's nose boom is a little too thick, so it was replaced with plastic rod. A note about the decals I used on this kit - they were the only Czech decals I had, and they're actually for a Mig-21. But I liked the way they looked, so on they went. Funny thing is, the checks on the rudder went on perfectly with no trimming. Maybe the Mig-19 and Mig-21 had the same rudder assembly? I also like the goofy look on the wolfhound crest on the nose, with his tongue hanging out - been there, done that! Hee hee:
[linked image]
There's a decal flaw on the Mig-19 that I know you sharp-eyed dudes are going to spot. The Czech roundel on the fin has the white side down, but the red portion should be facing downwards - this decal should be on the other side of the fin and vice-versa - Doh!
[linked image]
Okay, here's another reason this build took so long, other than the recent holiday season. I've been trying to find a new gal in my life and recently dated a real sweetheart. After a few dates I invited her over for dinner and cooked her up a fine meal. During the nickel-tour of the house I brought her downstairs to the man-cave. Dang - she was impressed with the model collection and declared: "I like a man with hobbies." Yee ha! I thought I hit pay dirt. Alas, a few weeks later I received the "Dear John I just wanna be friends" email. Rats! There was some darn good modelling time a-wasted on that there a-wooing! Dames! Go figure!
Next modelling project: not sure. Probably something Airfix - those guys are having WAY too much fun over there!
Best! Ted!

Current Build:
Mad About Migs Pt. 1; Mad About Migs Pt. 2; Mad About Migs Pt. 3; Mad About Migs Pt. 4; Mad About Migs Pt. 5; Mad About Migs Pt. 6; Mad About Migs Pt. 7

Tall Tales:
Kanal Kampf: A Spitfire Story
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
Matilda Makeover Pt.1; Matilda Makeover Pt.2; Matilda Makeover Pt.3; Matilda Makeover Finish;

The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11; The Big Spit Finish;

Me109 Pt.1; Me109 Pt.2; Me109 Pt.3; Me109 Finish;

Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;

Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

Respond to this message   
Responses

HyperScale's Group Build Guidelines

The objective of this Group Build is to encourage as many modellers as possible to build their kits and share their progress via words and photos on this Forum.

You are welcome to post general construction tips or relevant reference information and photos to this Forum too.

This Group Build will feature WWI Aircraft Kits.

1. This Group Build will run until 31 December, 2011.

2. Build as many kits as you like.

3. Conversions, aftermarket and scratchbuilding are all permitted.

4. Any markings are acceptable.

5. Document your progress and do a write-up on your build - where did you have trouble, what improvements did you make, what markings did you choose and why? It would be GREAT if everyone would do a writeup and submit it to HyperScale as a Feature Article.

Posting or replying to messages on The Group Build Forum requires visitors to register. If you have not already registered on one of HyperScale's other Forums, you will need to:

1. First register with Network 54, the Forum provider.Click here to register with Network 54.

2. Then, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

free counters