Return to Index  

CR 32: opening the box

February 18 2012 at 8:00 AM

(Login StuartMilliken)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 209.237.253.45

Trusting that the 1/72 Scale Group Build will last a while longer, I've decided to delve into the Super Model Fiat CR 32 kit:

[linked image]

I picked this up on a whim in a hobby shop on a recent trip to Hong Kong. I've never owned a Super Model kit before and didn't know what to expect, but it's one of my favorite airplanes, the price was the equivalent of about $9 US, and it looked lonely tucked away on a low dark shelf at the back of the shop. How could I resist?

It comes in a side-opening box with two sprues of gray plastic:

[linked image]

There's also a clear sprue holding the small windshield and a display stand.

The decals look okay, though not of extremely high resolution for the small emblems. There are, however, some interesting scheme choices:

[linked image]

I'm planning on doing the SCW scheme.

There are two aspects to this kit that give me pause. One is the hideously oversized engraved panel lines:

[linked image]

Sheesh, and to think I've been complaining about the recent Airfix kits! I'm scratching my head thinking how best to reduce these. Note too the somewhat heavy fabric representation. Perhaps some heavy primer will help tone that down.

The other challenge will be the warren truss wing struts and somewhat complex undercarriage struts, all butt joints with single struts:

[linked image]

I see some work with brass pinning in my future.

Otherwise the molding and surface features are reasonably okay, although there's a bit of flash here and there. This is what the nose piece looks like, which is so distinctive on the CR 32:

[linked image]

And of course the Italian mottle camouflage will seriously challenge my airbrushing skills. But for 9 bucks I figure I can relax a bit, learn and have fun.

Stay tuned…

Stuart

Respond to this message   
Responses

HyperScale's Group Build Guidelines

The objective of this Group Build is to encourage as many modellers as possible to build their kits and share their progress via words and photos on this Forum.

You are welcome to post general construction tips or relevant reference information and photos to this Forum too.

This Group Build will feature WWI Aircraft Kits.

1. This Group Build will run until 31 December, 2011.

2. Build as many kits as you like.

3. Conversions, aftermarket and scratchbuilding are all permitted.

4. Any markings are acceptable.

5. Document your progress and do a write-up on your build - where did you have trouble, what improvements did you make, what markings did you choose and why? It would be GREAT if everyone would do a writeup and submit it to HyperScale as a Feature Article.

Posting or replying to messages on The Group Build Forum requires visitors to register. If you have not already registered on one of HyperScale's other Forums, you will need to:

1. First register with Network 54, the Forum provider.Click here to register with Network 54.

2. Then, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

free counters