Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • Tupolev I-4 WIP 4
    • (Login StuartMilliken)
      HyperScale Forums
      Posted May 25, 2011 6:32 AM

I finally got a little more time in on the I-4. I don't know if this kit technically counts as "short run", but there certainly wasn't much effort put into its design to make sure that parts actually fit. I left off last time with the horizontal and vertical stabilizers--three pieces with no obvious way of putting them together and making them stick on the back of the plane somewhere. I ended up cutting the tabs on the horizontal stabs almost all the way off and butt-joining the pieces together. Then with some judicious filing I got the vertical stabilizer to fit over this:

[linked image]

I next drilled a small hole in the base of the vertical stabilizer and inserted some thin brass rod, and after drilling a corresponding hole in an appropriate position on the top of the fuselage, voila:

[linked image]

In this picture can also be seen the cylinder heads of the engine. These were also a trial, each being supplied as a separate cover piece plus little tiny exhaust pipes, all needing quite a bit of clean-up:

[linked image]

After much fumbling, filing, fiddling and picking up pieces off the floor, I ended up with a bunch of these:

[linked image]

Despite there being locating holes on the fuselage, they still required a steady hand to get more-or-less straight:

[linked image]

It turns out that the locating holes aren't quite evenly spaced around the circumference of the fuselage, but for me, just getting them on there was a triumph.

To show what this rather interesting design is going to look like, here it is with the top wing laid in place:

[linked image]

The next challenge, which must wait for another day, is a bunch of fiddly struts of ambiguous placement for undercarriage and top wing. I need to meditate and introspect for several days before deciding whether to install them before or after painting the major components.

Thanks for looking!

Stuart
    Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Your Email
    (Optional)
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Image Services Photobucket.com
    Options Enable formatted text (Huh?)
    Also send responses to my email address

HyperScale's Group Build Guidelines

The objective of this Group Build is to encourage as many modellers as possible to build their kits and share their progress via words and photos on this Forum.

You are welcome to post general construction tips or relevant reference information and photos to this Forum too.

This Group Build will feature WWI Aircraft Kits.

1. This Group Build will run until 31 December, 2011.

2. Build as many kits as you like.

3. Conversions, aftermarket and scratchbuilding are all permitted.

4. Any markings are acceptable.

5. Document your progress and do a write-up on your build - where did you have trouble, what improvements did you make, what markings did you choose and why? It would be GREAT if everyone would do a writeup and submit it to HyperScale as a Feature Article.

Posting or replying to messages on The Group Build Forum requires visitors to register. If you have not already registered on one of HyperScale's other Forums, you will need to:

1. First register with Network 54, the Forum provider.Click here to register with Network 54.

2. Then, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

free counters