Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • Hasegawa T-33...your basic T-Bird
    • Bill Retoff (Login Retoff)
      HyperScale Forums
      Posted Jun 5, 2012 4:37 AM

[linked image]
      Here's my 1:72 Hasegawa T-33. The mold is from the 1970s. I built it out of the box, so there's not a lot of details present. The cockpit is rudimentary, with no walls and no control columns. The seats are one-piece; and you can see past the front cockpit floor thru the front landing gear bay. Most external detail is raised.

[linked image]
      ...But I wanted to build something relatively simple, to take contest, for a change, rather than just showing up empty-handed.

[linked image]
      The model went together rather fast. The only real problem is that the starboard wing tip tank hangs kind of off-kilter.

[linked image]
      I was thinking of doing a natural metal T-Bird; but my "hearty" sanding left an un-polishable surface. So I opted for an ADC gray machine. In this case, my ADC paint consisted of a bottle of Testors MM RLM 76 enamel, lightened with 200 drops of flat white.

[linked image]
      The squadron markings came from an old MicroScale F-106 sheet, which has decals for 3 Delta Darts, plus a single T-33 from the 87th FIS. I believe these particular tip tank markings were used during William Tell '72 by the squadron [Red Bulls, whose main aircraft, at that time, was the '106].

[linked image]
      So there it is. I guess recent T-33 releases have eclipsed the old Hasegawa offering in terms of finesse and maybe even availability. But if you have one in your stash, or see one at the vending tables, next contest, give it a try...you might indeed enjoy the results.

--Bill Retoff
    Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Image Services Photobucket.com
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)