<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

a 2fer- NMF & 1/72 WIP- Valom P-75A Eagle- WIP and completed

May 8 2011 at 9:25 AM
John Mac  (no login)
from IP address 72.88.150.162

Valom's efforts get better over time. Their P-75A Eagle has an injected canopy, and excellent recessed detail. 3 layer instrument panel. Fit overall was good- wing to fuselage mating required only minor tweaking. Accuracy looked very good w/ the sole exception of the belly radiator which needed a fix as shown in the WIP shots. That there are pre restored and restored shots of the AFM's P-75A on the net really helped.

Mods included the radiator mod, wing gunport fairings added, MLG wells lined w/ bare metal foil to eliminate the open holes, and the many machine gun (10!) and intake/exhaust ports drilled out.

Radiator- If done OOB,the housing/opening would hang at a 25 degree downangle. Should be even w/ the thrust centerline.
[linked image]

I shaved off the fairing where the radiator would mount, closed off the gaping hole that is left w/ really thin sheet plastic, and sanded it wafer thin. The little gap that is left wil be covered by the radiator.
[linked image]
[linked image]

Here is the real deal as a reference
[linked image]

Next, I had to make a rear shutter, much as what the P-51B and later Mustangs have. I cut open the top rear of the radiator and inserted a thin sheet rectangle of sheet stock. To make it curve up I backed it w/ a thicker rib from behind.
[linked image]
[linked image]

There was much test fitting/trimming to get the shutter to meet nicely w/ the fuselage belly. Once this was done I glued the radiator housing onto the belly.
[linked image]

Then the sidewalls had to be boxed out. This was done w/ thin sheet stock carefully trimmed to meet the fuselage belly.
[linked image]

The small gaps were closed w/ Milliput, some putty, and gap filling CA. This photo was before final sanding.
[linked image]

The MLG wells were open holes. I was looking at the AFM's bird pre resto and noted the wells looked to be lined w/ a sort of canvas material.
[linked image]

A light bulb moment led me to line the holes w/ BMF. This took several trys to get it smooth w/ clean edges. I carefully pressed in the BFM w/ my pinky finger while the slow set CA glue was still wet, to get a nice rounded bowl shape.
[linked image]

The excess BFM was carefully trimmed w/ a brand new #11 blade.
[linked image]

Lots of holes were drilled out. This sucker had TEN 50 cals.
[linked image]
[linked image]

I used brass rods to support attachment of the tail surfaces to the fuselage, to support the OOB butt joints.

A lot of time was spent creating wing MG fairings. OOB would have you simply drill holes into the wing leading edge. The fairings were created w/ plastistrut rods that were carefilly fitted to the curve of the leading edge, then sanded to shape, and drilled out. Lots of re-dos on this as these were small and differences from gun to gun really stood out- they had to be uniform to look OK. These mods got some Tamiya ultra fine white primer to check for flaws.
[linked image]
[linked image]

While I'm in my photos, I thought I'd post these restored AFM shots of the tub, as these were a bit hard to find on the net. Note the bronze green sidewalls and yellow stick. The seat is covered up but another photo I have (post resto) shows the headrest is brown leather colored.
[linked image]
[linked image]

On to Tamiya black rattle can for the NMF basecoat. The radiator mod lookig OK here!
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

I lost a MLG actuator stut and created one from brass rod.
[linked image]

Now, as being a convert to Alclad two years ago, I was spoiled by the bulletproof finishes in my prior builds. As the P-75As has exeptionally brilliant finishes, I used Alclad's polished aluminum. Jaw droppingly great looking stuff. Except it wears off like baby power if you handle it. Also does not like masking, even w/ post-it notes. Users be forewarned. I don't think I'll use this shade again. Once I was into it, I was committed. Final results below.

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - a 2fer- NMF & 1/72 WIP- Valom P-75A Eagle- WIP and completed
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

HyperScale's Group Build Guidelines

The objective of this Group Build is to encourage as many modellers as possible to build their kits and share their progress via words and photos on this Forum.

You are welcome to post general construction tips or relevant reference information and photos to this Forum too.

This Group Build will feature WWI Aircraft Kits.

1. This Group Build will run until 31 December, 2011.

2. Build as many kits as you like.

3. Conversions, aftermarket and scratchbuilding are all permitted.

4. Any markings are acceptable.

5. Document your progress and do a write-up on your build - where did you have trouble, what improvements did you make, what markings did you choose and why? It would be GREAT if everyone would do a writeup and submit it to HyperScale as a Feature Article.

Posting or replying to messages on The Group Build Forum requires visitors to register. If you have not already registered on one of HyperScale's other Forums, you will need to:

1. First register with Network 54, the Forum provider.Click here to register with Network 54.

2. Then, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

free counters