Flying sharks - part II : Fun with a PE and resin interior

October 11 2011 at 1:47 PM

(Login eazyprinz)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 82.146.98.179

Greetings

Last week I started the new Airfix P-40 on the Airfix forum

H81A000.JPG

I had decided to built it together with the Trumpeter and one of the AML P-40 kits

H81A006.JPG

Pretty soon I realized I had to spend a lot more time on the AML kit

I had never worked with a PE and resin interior before

H81A018.JPG

I decided to try it - and post it here since it's low on Airfix content

First : figuring out what to do with the PE instrument panel and pedals

H81A022.JPG

It takes some ingenuity to bend the pieces into shape

H81A023.JPG

After a few minutes :

H81A024.JPG

Cutting the seat from the casting block

H81A025.JPG

It sure is the most detailed interior of the three kits

H81A026.JPG

Painting with interior green was easy

H81A027.JPG

I had read many horror stories about resin side panels being too thick

So I dremeled down the interior fuselage sides

H81A028.JPG

A test run with Maskol - offering me an easy way out when things go legs up

H81A029.JPG

It was not a good fit - and I learned I could cut off some of the "out of view" resin corners for a better fit

H81A030.JPG

Much better

H81A031.JPG

Well... what did we expect ?

The PE instrument panel was too wide - and didn't fit

H81A032.JPG

I decided to drill "slots" in the resin side panel parts - these locations were mainly out of view anyway

H81A033.JPG

Fit was better

Time for the instruments - first time I got to play with such a pre printed "film"

H81A034.JPG

WOW !

I need to play more with instrument films !

H81A035.JPG

The tail wheel "well" (also!) needed to be thinned down for a good fit

H81A036.JPG

I added some evergreen rods along the fuselage joins - for easier fit

H81A037.JPG

I first glued the rear fuselage together

H81A038.JPG

Then I trapped the instrument panel between the fuselages in the slots I had made in the resin side panels

H81A039.JPG

Then I glued the front ends together

H81A040.JPG

Almost straight and good enough

H81A041.JPG

I still had to add the gun handles (parts PUR,11)

They were too long (intended to go past the instrument panel)

H81A048.JPG

I cut the rear parts off - since there was no room for it - and it was out of view anyway

H81A042.JPG

And glued these in place

I also had to narrow down the pedal PE piece by cutting of the tiny side parts

H81A043.JPG

Pedals ready

H81A044.JPG

Then I glued the cockpit tub in place with Maskol - good stuff to keep things in place

H81A045.JPG

All this work took me 3 evening - to get to this point

It sure looks nice - though next time I will thin down the resin side panels as well

And heck, I still have to paint the gun handles

H81A046.JPG

All 3 kits are now ready for wings

Left to right, Airfix, Trumpeter and AML

H81A047.JPG

I realize PE and resin parts are a bit "frowned upon" - but these parts were included in the kit, so I wanted to try them

They do add to a more detailled look, though it demands some work - but I'm pleased with it though I wish I had sanded down the resin side panels too... ah well, next time

Thank you for your attention for one of my most boring posts so far

William De Coster / Belgium be.png / past builds on HS : Plastic Stories

1/72 - Airfix - Spitfre PR.XIX : Part I (incl Flying Legends 2011 show report) - Part II - Part III - Part IV (incl. Pilsenkit 2011 show report pt.1/2)
1/72 - Airfix - Me-262 : Part I - Part II - Part III - Post scriptum / end (incl. eDay 2011 show report pt.1/2) new.gif
1/72 - Airfix, Trumpeter and AML - Curtiss Hawk 81 : Part Inew.gif
1/72 - AGA - Polikarpov I-3 : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V
1/72 - KP - MiG-15 UTI : Part I - Part II (incl. Pilsenkit 2011 show report pt.2/2) - Part III - Part IV - Part V /end (incl. eDay 2011 show report pt. 2/2) new.gif

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Dan Smith
(Login NinetyThirdLiberator)
HyperScale Forums

Keep Frowning, William...

October 11 2011, 4:36 PM 

That looks just fine. It's an amazing amount of work but looking really nice.

Great post too, as usual. It's fun to see them built together.

Can't wait to get my Airfix example!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,

Dan From Tacoma, Washington USA

Respond to this message   

(Login eazyprinz)
HyperScale Forums

Indeed a lot of work

October 12 2011, 11:49 AM 

I spend 3 evenings over this - I could have made a nice progress with my new Airfix P-40 in the same time

And now it's all buttoned up - and you almost don't see anything of it anymore. If I build any of the other AML kits, I'm considering of just using the cockpit floor and seat with belts... much quicker and just as adequate

Thanks for the support Dan

1/72 - Airfix - Spitfre PR.XIX : Part I (incl Flying Legends 2011 show report) - Part II - Part III - Part IV (incl. Pilsenkit 2011 show report pt.1/2)
1/72 - Airfix - Me-262 : Part I - Part II - Part III - Post scriptum / end (incl. eDay 2011 show report pt.1/2)
1/72 - Airfix, Trumpeter and AML - Curtiss Hawk 81 : Part I - Part II new.gif
1/72 - KP - MiG-15 UTI : Part I - Part II (incl. Pilsenkit 2011 show report pt.2/2) - Part III - Part IV - Part V /end (incl. eDay 2011 show report pt. 2/2)

Respond to this message   

(Login ManusNigra)
HyperScale Forums

"Boring post"

October 11 2011, 4:42 PM 

- you can't be serious?

Your descripion of your work illustrates a problem frequently encountered with a lot of the short run kits with PE and resin bits. I'm sure the instrument panel and the pedal assembly are true to scale. But of course the fuselage thickness is not and with those resin sidewalls it gets even worse. But it is a classic problem: Do you want parts true to scale or do you want parts that fit?

You have done a fine job with the AML kit. Will follow your progress with great interest!

PE and resin parts are not frowned upon, in my opinion. And nothing beats a good film for the instruments. Eduard should have received a modeller's Nobel prize for inventing that!

Respond to this message   

(Login eazyprinz)
HyperScale Forums

True to scale or a good fit

October 12 2011, 11:52 AM 

You couldn't have said it any better Claus

I thought I was clever by thinning the fuselage sides well in advance, while I forgot to bring the resin side wall parts into the equation

Ah well, next time...

I agree on the noble prize for Eduard for those instrument films happy.gif !

1/72 - Airfix - Me-262 : Part I - Part II - Part III - Post scriptum / end (incl. eDay 2011 show report pt.1/2)
1/72 - KP - MiG-15 UTI : Part I - Part II (incl. Pilsenkit 2011 show report pt.2/2) - Part III - Part IV - Part V /end (incl. eDay 2011 show report pt. 2/2)

Respond to this message   

(Login StuartMilliken)
HyperScale Forums

Great work with those microscopic little parts!

October 11 2011, 5:36 PM 

I've tried a bit of PE and was the worse for wear over it. But, Wow, that instrument panel alone would be worth a lot of hassle! I'm really enjoying your P-40 trilogy.

Stuart

Respond to this message   

(Login eazyprinz)
HyperScale Forums

It crossed my mind to build a little stand

October 12 2011, 11:55 AM 

And put the instrument panel on it - next to the model - it's almost a shame to put it inside were you can only see it at a certain difficult to find angle

Mind you, I used a bit too much clearfix in the middle, and the centre dials look a bit frosty - next time I will try to be less royal with the glue

Thanks for hopping in Stuart, appreciated

Respond to this message   

(Login TeddieP)
HyperScale Forums

Excellent Work, William

October 11 2011, 7:04 PM 

Resin and photo-etch parts are nothing to be afraid of. You're adapting well to their eccentric nature! You're on the right track - fit problems with these parts are par for the course. Careful with that resin sanding dust though; I understand it's highly toxic. I keep my distance from it and carefully vacuum my workbench and floor afterwrds. Careful with that too - I've vacuumed away a few photo etch parts in my day! Very cool little production line you've got going there!
Best...Ted...
PS - love that little Mig15 UTI!!!!

Current Build:
Mad About Migs Pt. 1; Mad About Migs Pt. 2; Mad About Migs Pt. 3; Mad About Migs Pt. 4

Tall Tales:
Kanal Kampf: A Spitfire Story
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
Matilda Makeover Pt.1; Matilda Makeover Pt.2; Matilda Makeover Pt.3; Matilda Makeover Finish;

The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11; The Big Spit Finish;

Me109 Pt.1; Me109 Pt.2; Me109 Pt.3; Me109 Finish;

Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;

Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

Respond to this message   

(Login eazyprinz)
HyperScale Forums

Now I have to get myself a vacuum cleaner...

October 12 2011, 12:01 PM 

The things you need as a modeller - it never ceases to amaze me

You are dead right about the resin - while working on complete resin kits I either cut the parts outside on the veranda, or use a mask - though for the smaller parts on this kit I didn't bother... and of course I got sick - a nasty cold - not sure if there is a relation, but next time I wear a mask again - better save then sorry

Thanks for the tips Ted, appreciated

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Flying sharks - part II : Fun with a PE and resin interior
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

HyperScale's Group Build Guidelines

The objective of this Group Build is to encourage as many modellers as possible to build their kits and share their progress via words and photos on this Forum.

You are welcome to post general construction tips or relevant reference information and photos to this Forum too.

This Group Build will feature WWI Aircraft Kits.

1. This Group Build will run until 31 December, 2011.

2. Build as many kits as you like.

3. Conversions, aftermarket and scratchbuilding are all permitted.

4. Any markings are acceptable.

5. Document your progress and do a write-up on your build - where did you have trouble, what improvements did you make, what markings did you choose and why? It would be GREAT if everyone would do a writeup and submit it to HyperScale as a Feature Article.

Posting or replying to messages on The Group Build Forum requires visitors to register. If you have not already registered on one of HyperScale's other Forums, you will need to:

1. First register with Network 54, the Forum provider.Click here to register with Network 54.

2. Then, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

free counters