from IP address 195.144.82.65

Greetings all

While building the new Airfix P-40, I decided to throw in one of the AML Hawks

The AML kit is/was considered to be the most accurate Hawk in 1/72 scale

H81A006.JPG

A lot of PE and resin goodies do not make it not a very straight forward build

It took me some time to the finish the cockpit - so far it was still worth it

H81A046.JPG

On the Airfix forum I already posted a picture of all the kits involved during the wing attachment

H81A067.JPG

How did this go with the AML kit ?

Well... these are the parts involved

H81A084.JPG

Don't be mistaken, these are no alignment pins !

H81A085.JPG

Because the upper wing doesn't cover the whole wheel bay (see left wheel bay), AML have provided thoughtfully a new (very thin) resin wheel bay "ceiling"

H81A086.JPG

Which covers the whole wheel bay

I glued them in place with maskol - I'm really starting to like this stuff as glue happy.gif

H81A087.JPG

It worked pretty good

... but would the top wing still fit ?

H81A088.JPG

It did

Kudos to AML

H81A089.JPG

Ah let's wait with those kudos

H81A090.JPG

Should I have used spacers in the fuselage ?

Well, the trailing edge is touching the fuselage already... I don't think spacers would've helped much here

... and what is wrong with that fuselage ???

H81A091.JPG

Aaaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhhh !!!!

H81A092.JPG

Was this the most accurate Hawk for the last few years ???

H81A093.JPG

Measuring the damage

H81A049.JPG

Everything still looked very much honky dory some days ago...

H81A038.JPG

Maybe it was my fault, when thinning down the fuselage insides for the resin cockpit interior

Could this have caused the bending ?

H81A040.JPG

Many questions...

But the biggest question : are there really people who have build this kit - especially when they named it the best early P-40 out there ?

Thank you for your time

I'm off to look for my favourite axe

William De Coster / Belgium be.png / past builds on HS : Plastic Stories

1/72 - Airfix - Spitfre PR.XIX : Part I (incl Flying Legends 2011 show report) - Part II - Part III - Part IV (incl. Pilsenkit 2011 show report pt.1/2) - Part V (incl. Dutch Nationals 2011 show report) new.gif
1/72 - Airfix, Trumpeter and AML - Curtiss Hawk 81 : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV
1/72 - AGA - Polikarpov I-3 : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Adrian
(Login AdrianMF)
HyperScale Forums

Ouch!

October 27 2011, 3:32 PM 

I feel your pain (though obviously not as much as you do...). I presume a spacer would mess up the cockpit?

Of course, you could just add filler and carry on - we wouldn't tell!

Regards,
Adrian

Respond to this message   

William De Coster
(Login eazyprinz)
HyperScale Forums

I'm not sure if a spacer would've helped much

October 28 2011, 9:59 AM 

There was not much of a gap at the trailing edges of the wings, where they touch the fuselage - and to close the gap at its widest point, I would have needed a very big spacer... and as you said, it probably would've messed up the cockpit interior too

And I'm not sure if I have enough filler in the house to fill these gaps happy.gif

Maybe I still have some concrete somewhere....

1/72 - Airfix - Spitfre PR.XIX : Part I (incl Flying Legends 2011 show report) - Part II - Part III - Part IV (incl. Pilsenkit 2011 show report pt.1/2) - Part V (incl. Dutch Nationals 2011 show report) new.gif
1/72 - Airfix, Trumpeter and AML - Curtiss Hawk 81 : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV

Respond to this message   
Victor Scheuerman
(Login ffirefighter13)
HyperScale Forums

Yikes.....

October 27 2011, 5:52 PM 

I think I would be using some of the cockpit and decals on a second Airfix kit..... you kill me William happy.gif

Cheers, Vic

Respond to this message   

William De Coster
(Login eazyprinz)
HyperScale Forums

The worst thing is...

October 28 2011, 10:05 AM 

I have 3 of these AML kits - and I always regretted not having the 4th (Soviet) release... well I'm over that now happy.gif

Maybe I will build another one - to see if I am the problem - or the kit

But the 3rd one will be used to upgrade another Airfix kit - as you suggested - I think this will be an interesting exercise too

Good idea Vic !

Respond to this message   

Ted Preston
(Login TeddieP)
HyperScale Forums

Don't Reach For The Axe Just Yet!

October 27 2011, 7:23 PM 

Maybe try a modelling saw instead, William. From the photo you have with the red alignment lines, it looks like the wings and rear fuselage line up okay. - it's the nose section that is skewed to one side. I would saw off the nose and square off the forward section ahead of the windscreen. Then I would add some plastic shims and reglue the nose on straight. Fill in the resulting gaps with gobs of putty - and sand it all to shape.
I have an Academy P-40 on the shelf that was badly crushed in a house move. And I mean CRUSHED: fuselage shattered, wings snapped into multiple fractures, etc. It wasn't a collection of parts - it was a pile of debris. BUT! I painstakingly reassembled all the bits, using gallons of putty and stacks of sand paper, and finally came up with this:
[linked image]
[linked image]
It ain't pretty and it ain't perfect. It has many a flaw and is in serious need of a makeover. But at least it looks like a P40 and not a pile of rubble. If I can restore this wreck, you can fix that nose - I know this!! This pack of sharks needs a new squadron mate!
Best! Ted!

Current Build:
Mad About Migs Pt. 1; Mad About Migs Pt. 2; Mad About Migs Pt. 3; Mad About Migs Pt. 4; Mad About Migs Pt. 5

Tall Tales:
Kanal Kampf: A Spitfire Story
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
Matilda Makeover Pt.1; Matilda Makeover Pt.2; Matilda Makeover Pt.3; Matilda Makeover Finish;

The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11; The Big Spit Finish;

Me109 Pt.1; Me109 Pt.2; Me109 Pt.3; Me109 Finish;

Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;

Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

Respond to this message   

Claus Dam
(Login ManusNigra)
HyperScale Forums

I'm with Ted

October 27 2011, 10:22 PM 

...I'm sure it can be fixed and I believe his suggestion is the best approach. Knowing you are not afraid of putty (a Beau springs to mind... happy.gif), I'm sure you can fix this one. Binning it would be a shame - you've already put a lot of work into it. Besides, a lot of us have been looking forward to a finished TRIO. How's that for motivation? happy.gif

Respond to this message   

William De Coster
(Login eazyprinz)
HyperScale Forums

I'm worried about the time

October 28 2011, 10:17 AM 

I'm worried about the time it will eat away from my modelling time budget - maybe I can build a nice Lancaster and Sunderland in the same time ? I don't want to loose too much speed in this project, because then it might turn into a long term drag

But it's a long weekend now here in Belgium... so who knows...

Thanks for the sympathy Claus

Respond to this message   

William De Coster
(Login eazyprinz)
HyperScale Forums

But it IS pretty !

October 28 2011, 10:12 AM 

That's a lovely build - and it looks pretty to me, maybe not perfect accurate wise, but perfect nostalgia and fun and pleasure wise

Even more so since it needed a big rescue effort, what I appreciate very much of you

Nice markings too Ted, I think you painted most of them, except the claw insignia - and the stars probably ?

Turns out my girlfriend has my favorite axe - all I have is my little saw happy.gif

Respond to this message   
Jim Bates
(Login JimBates)
HyperScale Forums

Honestly...

October 27 2011, 9:01 PM 

I bought this keep years ago as well because I heard good things about it. It looked nice in the box, but also looked like a difficult build. I was scared. So I put it away. Then the Hobby Boss and Trumpeter kits came out and I started to realized there is no way I would ever build the AML kit. (Not to mention my canopies had started to turn a nice shade of yellow.) Then with the Airfix kit being released, I came to terms that what I really bought was a nice decal sheet, and some PE and resin, and the rest of the kit went in the trash.

Jim
ascalecanadian.blogspot.com

Respond to this message   

William De Coster
(Login eazyprinz)
HyperScale Forums

A nice shade of yellow

October 28 2011, 10:23 AM 

My kit has the same problem - the vac canopies are yellowed also

I think you are right Jim - since the nice Airfix release appeared, this kit has lost most of it's appeal, but it has some nice resin and PE, and I'm very happy with the decals... but maybe I should write this after I have actually tried them - and I suppose several decal sheets will appear soon, so this advantage will disappear too

Respond to this message   

laurent
(Login loren37)
HyperScale Forums

I feel your consternation William....

October 27 2011, 11:52 PM 

I will not be dishonest and tell "come on, nothing there you can't fix".
The better you have to do is put this kit back in his box and dig it for the next ten years. I'm sure that when you'll find it back you'll laugh at and finish it in the twinkling of a eye...happy.gif

Respond to this message   

William De Coster
(Login eazyprinz)
HyperScale Forums

I was thinking about this

October 28 2011, 10:27 AM 

But Ted kinda pushed me into trying to salvage this thing, maybe it's not so bad...

But I think also if more troubles show up - it will end up in the lost projects box, where it can accompany an old Aoshima Ki-100

Thanks Laurent

Respond to this message   

Stuart Milliken
(Login StuartMilliken)
HyperScale Forums

Man, it's plain bizarre how the fuselage warped after assembly

October 28 2011, 3:49 AM 

I wonder what would happen if you put the whole thing in hot water and worked it straight. (And I've got some heavy-duty pipe wrenches that might help!)

As for the wing root gap, the P-40 had a good bit of dihedral; in your pictures the wings look quite flat. Would inducing some dihedral help close the gaps?

In any case, admirable work!

Stuart

Respond to this message   

William De Coster
(Login eazyprinz)
HyperScale Forums

I have to check the dihedral !

October 28 2011, 10:31 AM 

Good tip Stuart - hadn't thought of this yet... though I think I will need lots of dihedral here

Hot water ? That sounds much more dangerous then an axe and a saw to me happy.gif And with the acrylic painted interior, I don't know what the effect will be

Funny thing is I only noticed the banana shape when taking pictures, it's only obvious from certain angles... maybe I can just finish it and put it in a corner on a shelf only showing it's good side

Naah - it will not make me sleep at night I think

Respond to this message   

Dan Smith
(Login NinetyThirdLiberator)
HyperScale Forums

Steady progress, Willliam...

October 28 2011, 7:39 AM 

You are sure working these kits to the limit. And things are getting even better! We've seen your work.

Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead! (:=

Respond to this message   

William De Coster
(Login eazyprinz)
HyperScale Forums

... it's more like 'steady and slow' Dan

October 28 2011, 10:36 AM 

As opposed to you : steady and quick happy.gif !

And I think the steady will disappear soon too...

Why do I always end up with problems ? I never had a kit that went bananas as much as this one

Ah well, if it doesn't kill you, it only makes you stronger

Thanks for hopping in Dan

Respond to this message   
Robert Rensch
(Login renscho)
HyperScale Forums

I built the AML, and it's everything you're finding...

October 28 2011, 9:58 AM 

A pot of water furiously steaming was helpful. I did a bit of a build article for Internet Modeler, but it seems to have scared off more prospective builders than it encouraged.

http://www.internetmodeler.com/2008/july/aviation/aml_p40.php

The kit will be as accurate as you make it. No guarantees from what's in the box.

Respond to this message   

William De Coster
(Login eazyprinz)
HyperScale Forums

Robert, nice to see you here !

October 28 2011, 10:46 AM 

I had scanned the internet for other builds, and yours was the only one I found

Your build looks VERY nice - I was wondering many times how you did this - but you proove what can be done with it, and it looks like an early P-40 EVERY inch

I'm glad to hear it's (probably) not me, but more the kits fault

Thanks for several good tips in your article - I will need it happy.gif !

Respond to this message   
Robert Rensch
(no login)

A curious effect of the article...

October 28 2011, 10:55 AM 

People started sending me AML P-40 kits. "If you can build it, it's all yours..."

I'm not sure I want to go through all that again, though. The Airfix looks pretty good all things considered.

Seen my crazy little discussion board? I might have mentioned it before...happy.gif

http://z15.invisionfree.com/72nd_Aircraft/index.php?

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

HyperScale's Group Build Guidelines

The objective of this Group Build is to encourage as many modellers as possible to build their kits and share their progress via words and photos on this Forum.

You are welcome to post general construction tips or relevant reference information and photos to this Forum too.

This Group Build will feature WWI Aircraft Kits.

1. This Group Build will run until 31 December, 2011.

2. Build as many kits as you like.

3. Conversions, aftermarket and scratchbuilding are all permitted.

4. Any markings are acceptable.

5. Document your progress and do a write-up on your build - where did you have trouble, what improvements did you make, what markings did you choose and why? It would be GREAT if everyone would do a writeup and submit it to HyperScale as a Feature Article.

Posting or replying to messages on The Group Build Forum requires visitors to register. If you have not already registered on one of HyperScale's other Forums, you will need to:

1. First register with Network 54, the Forum provider.Click here to register with Network 54.

2. Then, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

free counters