<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Heller Morane-Saulnier 230, Part I

January 31 2012 at 9:46 PM

(Login Luno13)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 169.229.84.107

Hi folks,

Here is another project I've been working on recently.

[linked image]

It's a small French 2-seater trainer from the interwar period. Many are still flying and one even represented a top-secret German monoplane for the WWI film, "The Blue Max".

I began with the cockpit, and after looking at photos online, it seemed possible that at least some were somewhat unpainted inside. Anyways, I wouldn't worry about it. The prominent "Heller" trademark was sanded off, and some detail scratched.

[linked image]

[linked image]

The kit engine is fairly detailed, but needs some clean-up. After taking this photo, I saw I didn't do a very good job of it.

[linked image]

I primed the airframe with some grey color to check the seams. I sanded down the raised rivets and panel lines. Handles and stirrups were constructed from stretched sprue.

[linked image]

The elevators were re-scribed after filling in the incorrect lines, and then painted.

[linked image]

I started work on the wing, but a few more coats will be required. The ailerons on the bottom half were missing, and so were scribed.

[linked image]

As always, I don't mind hearing your ideas and critiques. Until next time!

This message has been edited by Luno13 from IP address 169.229.84.107 on Jan 31, 2012 9:47 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login eazyprinz)
HyperScale Forums

Currently one of my favorite Heller kits

February 1 2012, 1:30 PM 

I build one in my teens, for my Belgian Air Force collection and I didn't like it so much back then - it didn't have enough guns I think - but now I really like it, it's one of the better kits produced by Heller, and I wish I had time to build one again... but the next best thing is seeing one getting build here - and Luno, you are really doing it justice, I love the scratch build steps on the side - and that interior - very nice work

Looking forward to your choice of scheme

William De Coster / Belgium be.png / previous builds on HS : Plastic Stories

1/72 - AZ Model - Kawasaki Ki-78 : Part I
1/72 - AGA - Polikarpov I-3 : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V - Part VI /End new.gif

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

Respond to this message   

(Login ManusNigra)
HyperScale Forums

Nice start, Luno

February 1 2012, 1:48 PM 

I built this 20+ years ago but still remember the build. It was problem free - even fitting that parasol wing was easy. Also remember Heller forgot the ailerons on the lower wings. I didn't notice until after the model was finished!

Plenty of interesting colour schemes for this one, so I'm looking forward to see which you choose.

Respond to this message   

(Login Luno13)
HyperScale Forums

Thanks, and...

February 1 2012, 2:47 PM 

I was thinking about doing an "OOB" build in terms of the markings. There is such a wide variety of marking options, but since I've gone with the square elevators as presented in the kit, that limits my options a bit.

But nothing is set in stone. I'll see if I can find some aftermarket decals, just because you both asked, but if not, I'll just stick with what's in the box.

Thanks again for your comments,

Cheers

- PS: I really love building these older kits. They're way before my time, but they're esoteric, simple, cheap, and most of all, fun!

happy.gif

Respond to this message   

(Login mixont)
HyperScale Forums

Love this plane!

February 2 2012, 5:46 AM 

Great work so far

Respond to this message   

(Login StuartMilliken)
HyperScale Forums

Nice work on the details!

February 2 2012, 6:29 PM 

I've never seen this kit; I eagerly follow your progress!

Stuart

Respond to this message   

(Login Luno13)
HyperScale Forums

Thanks everyone!! :) n/t

February 4 2012, 11:26 PM 

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Heller Morane-Saulnier 230, Part I
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

HyperScale's Group Build Guidelines

The objective of this Group Build is to encourage as many modellers as possible to build their kits and share their progress via words and photos on this Forum.

You are welcome to post general construction tips or relevant reference information and photos to this Forum too.

This Group Build will feature WWI Aircraft Kits.

1. This Group Build will run until 31 December, 2011.

2. Build as many kits as you like.

3. Conversions, aftermarket and scratchbuilding are all permitted.

4. Any markings are acceptable.

5. Document your progress and do a write-up on your build - where did you have trouble, what improvements did you make, what markings did you choose and why? It would be GREAT if everyone would do a writeup and submit it to HyperScale as a Feature Article.

Posting or replying to messages on The Group Build Forum requires visitors to register. If you have not already registered on one of HyperScale's other Forums, you will need to:

1. First register with Network 54, the Forum provider.Click here to register with Network 54.

2. Then, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

free counters