<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Scratch Vacform 1/72nd Fe-2b Some Booms Mk. I

February 5 2012 at 9:25 PM

Dan Smith  (Login NinetyThirdLiberator)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 71.212.2.137

All,

I got some test booms started. They are made of stretched sprue this time just to see how they look. As I've started rigging them, they do get stronger, though keeping them straight and square isn't easy.

[linked image]
[linked image]

You can see them just mock placed on the wings/nacelle/stab and they certainly make it look more like a Fee. I'll see how far this takes me and might switch to brass and solder depending on how these turn out.

Kind of cool, though!

Cheers and thanks for looking.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Adrian
(Login AdrianMF)
HyperScale Forums

This is looking good

February 5 2012, 9:42 PM 

I've been following your build with interest and I've really liked it. You nailed the roundels - they look really good!

I would hazard, however, that I don't think stretched sprue will be strong enough, but YMMV. I guess you will just have to be careful when zooming it around your modelling room...

Regards,
Adrian

Respond to this message   

Dan Smith
(Login NinetyThirdLiberator)
HyperScale Forums

You are right...

February 6 2012, 7:43 AM 

...I fear! I will play with brass next. Although, if I really did just play with it in my room, there wouldn't be any stress!!

Thanks for looking. I can't wait to see how difficult it is to solder tiny bits of brass...

Cheers.

Respond to this message   

Kevin
(Login Kevin60)
HyperScale Forums

It'll look great!

February 5 2012, 11:00 PM 

Dan, once again you've shown your skill.
Enjoy the weather this week and keep
up the great work.

Kevin in Brown's Point, Washington

Respond to this message   

Dan Smith
HyperScale Forums

Hi Kevin

February 6 2012, 7:44 AM 

It sure was nice around here, wasn't it? I wish I was off today as well.

I think the booms at least are starting to take shape...I do think brass is in my future.

Thanks for looking.

Respond to this message   

Claus Dam
(Login ManusNigra)
HyperScale Forums

Booms sure turned out nice

February 6 2012, 3:46 AM 

but I wouldn't trust them in the long run. I would go for brass and stability.

Looks more and more like a Fe now! Have you considered the next vac project? Vickers 161 COW gun fighter? happy.gif

Respond to this message   

Dan Smith
HyperScale Forums

Solder!!!!

February 6 2012, 7:46 AM 

Hi Claus,

You guys are all correct. It looks ok as a mock up, but I think it will at least sag in a while and it is terribly delicate even with the rigging especially at the wing joints.

Brass will be an adventure! Wish me luck and thanks for looking.

Respond to this message   

William De Coster
(Login eazyprinz)
HyperScale Forums

Totally cool !!!

February 6 2012, 2:07 PM 

It looks great - I'm happy to see the aircraft taking a bigger shape now, because that is really a special shape

It must 've already been quite a job to make all the stretched sprue - keeping the same thickness on all the parts, but I think it can act as a nice template for the brass - you are not only pushing bounderies here, but exceeding them : brass & solder are completely unknown to me - and so far I don't have a desire to start with it - buy hey, surprise me happy.gif

Great work Dan !

William De Coster / Belgium be.png / previous builds on HS : Plastic Stories

1/72 - AZ Model - Kawasaki Ki-78 : Part I
1/72 - AGA - Polikarpov I-3 : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V�- Part VI /End new.gif

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

Respond to this message   

Stuart Milliken
(Login StuartMilliken)
HyperScale Forums

Wow, Dan, you go from strength to strength in your builds!

February 6 2012, 3:26 PM 

The front half of this thing is already worthy of being called a whole model and then some! I am in awe!

I'm following the boom work with great interest--if you decide to go with brass, please give details on the soldering.

Stuart

Respond to this message   

Joe Youngerman
(Login JY-man)
HyperScale Forums

Looks excellent!

February 7 2012, 5:17 PM 

All that rigging and strut work would scare the hell out of me!!
happy.gif

Joe

Respond to this message   

Ted Preston
(Login TeddieP)
HyperScale Forums

Boom de booms!

February 8 2012, 12:05 PM 

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

HyperScale's Group Build Guidelines

The objective of this Group Build is to encourage as many modellers as possible to build their kits and share their progress via words and photos on this Forum.

You are welcome to post general construction tips or relevant reference information and photos to this Forum too.

This Group Build will feature WWI Aircraft Kits.

1. This Group Build will run until 31 December, 2011.

2. Build as many kits as you like.

3. Conversions, aftermarket and scratchbuilding are all permitted.

4. Any markings are acceptable.

5. Document your progress and do a write-up on your build - where did you have trouble, what improvements did you make, what markings did you choose and why? It would be GREAT if everyone would do a writeup and submit it to HyperScale as a Feature Article.

Posting or replying to messages on The Group Build Forum requires visitors to register. If you have not already registered on one of HyperScale's other Forums, you will need to:

1. First register with Network 54, the Forum provider.Click here to register with Network 54.

2. Then, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

free counters