<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Special Hobby French P-40 started...

March 30 2012 at 4:32 PM
  (no login)
from IP address 76.200.148.146

Still taken from film footage of the handover ceremony to the FAF.
[linked image]
Trial fit of the parts looks good!
[linked image]
Separate injection-molded cockpit side detail provided with the kit is a nice touch, but I elected to use and modify the True Details resin items for a more scale thickness. Also pictured are the kit-provided PE (including a reasonably accurate instrument panel, True Details wheels with the correct diamond tread, and an early 90's vintage Eduard PE sheet which is yielding its gear bay inserts (one already installed) and seat, which will need to be trimmed to depict the curved-style back. I will be receiving in the mail also some Quickboost exhaust stacks for the P-40B; which will represent the early-style ones found on this aircraft. These will be angled down to duplicate the look on the P-40E and early F's (I hope!)
[linked image]
I will try to post regular updates! So far this is the best kit from this company that I have worked on.

Best
Chuck

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login JY-man)
HyperScale Forums

Good stuff Chuck...

March 31 2012, 7:35 PM 

I've got one of these too and it looks very good in the box. I've got the Sky Decals sheet which gives you markings for two of the birds pictured. I've got a great color close up of one of these birds at Casablanca the same day that photo was taken. It looks like traditional desert camo with the old markings painted out in a darker brown...perhaps French paint? Chocolate? Or just fresh new British color? Hard to tell but most profiles don't get it right. Even in the B&W photo the color looks different/fresh in these areas.

I'm looking forward to your work on this one Chuck!!

Joe

Respond to this message   

(Login char1es)
HyperScale Forums

Re: Good stuff Chuck...

March 31 2012, 8:37 PM 

I agree about the brown overspray; it may not be fresh DE. I plan to do Kostia Rozanoff's plane, which calls for a red-painted spinner. But all of the aircraft at the handover ceremony appear to have camouflage colors on the spinners.

http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675020496_P-40-aircraft_Lafayette-Escadrille-squadron-insignia_French-Air-Service-insignia
http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675020492_Curtiss-P-40-Warhawks_James-Doolittle_Carl-Spaatz_French-Moroccan-horsemen
http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675020495_Carl-Spaatz_James-Doolittle_Curtiss-P-40-Warhawks_Colonel-Willis
http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675020494_Curtiss-P-40-Warhawks_French-Moroccan-horsemen_sword-salute_dog-near-troops

I have only 2 quibbles with the accuracy of the kit so far; the blue in the cockades and rudder flashes should be closer to "insignia blue"-- not French blue. Also the exhaust stacks are the round-type, not the fishtail type provided with the kit. Perhaps an e-mail to Sebastien might help clear things up a little.

Anyway, it is great having you at the Kickoff. One of these days I'll have to try to get to the Nats again.

Respond to this message   

(Login JY-man)
HyperScale Forums

Great info Chuck...

March 31 2012, 9:13 PM 

...and thanks, it was really good to see the Santa Clara gang again. I hope you will make it to Nats again soon too, maybe next year in Denver?

I agree with your accuracy comments btw, the Sky Decals sheet seem to get it right though they don't give you the rudder flashes. The sheet gives you markings for a/c #7 "Cricket" and for Commandant Rozanoff's "Le Voutour".

It's interesting to note that two of these aircraft were flown to German held France by defectors soon after their delivery to the French! The remaining pilots went on to fight "with distinction".

Joe

Respond to this message   

(Login eazyprinz)
HyperScale Forums

Mighty interesting

April 1 2012, 2:35 PM 

That sure are a lot of extra's - and a great tip about the exhaust - I have to keep that in mind once I get around building mine, one of them will be in Kits World decals... but so many plans, so little time

William De Coster / Belgium be.png / Plastic Stories

1/72 - Special Hobby - Bolton Paul Balliol T.2 : Part I - Part II
1/72 - Airfix - Hellcat : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV/End
1/72 - Airfix/Jo-Han - Mitsubishi Zero/Rufe conversion: Part I new.gif

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

Respond to this message   

(Login char1es)
HyperScale Forums

Thanks, William

April 1 2012, 2:52 PM 

Great job on the Balliol, by the way. Kits World decals; are they any good?

Best
Chuck

Respond to this message   

(Login eazyprinz)
HyperScale Forums

I haven't tried them yet

April 2 2012, 12:26 PM 

But I've heard good things about them

They mostly do pin up decal sheets - and I always liked these 85th FS P-40s with tail art - done by Corporal Joe Pumphrey

d1-25.jpg

d1-19.jpg

So finally there are now two decal sheets - still have to order them though

kitsworld-172060-deco-guide.jpg

kitsworld-172061-deco-guide.jpg

Check out the website : http://www.kitsworld.co.uk/

And this might also be interesting, in case you hadn't seen these pages - there are several pics of your French P-40s

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t14319.html

William De Coster / Belgium be.png / Plastic Stories

1/72 - Special Hobby - Bolton Paul Balliol T.2 : Part I - Part II
1/72 - Airfix - Hellcat : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV/End
1/72 - Airfix/Jo-Han - Mitsubishi Zero/Rufe conversion: Part I new.gif

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Wow, those are terrific!

April 2 2012, 11:42 PM 

Thanks also for the link. A number of the P-40F's are shown with the radiator flaps open, which is just the reference I have been looking for!

Best
Chuck

Respond to this message   

(Login mixont)
HyperScale Forums

That looks like a nice kit!

April 1 2012, 3:57 PM 

Im sure you will make a masterpiece of it! Looking with interest.

Respond to this message   

(Login ManusNigra)
HyperScale Forums

French P-40?

April 1 2012, 8:03 PM 

Had no idea such beasts existed! Looking forward to your build!

Ah, that ancient eduard P-40 fret... I have that also. Mine is turning slightly blueish, but it is thinner than the stuff they produce now, and I must admit to liking their old photo etch stuff better than their newer issues.

Respond to this message   

(Login char1es)
HyperScale Forums

Hi Claus

April 1 2012, 8:29 PM 

It turns out that P-40's had a canvas-lined wheel recess, no I guess I needn't have bothered to use the PE to detail that area. It looks cool, so I will probably paint them interior (Curtiss) green like the cockpit. You can see the blue tint creeping onto my sheet as well!

There were two French pilots who were secretly still loyal to the Vichy and, after the handover, flew their P-40's to German-occupied France. The rest served with distinction in N. Africa.

Best
Chuck

Respond to this message   

(Login ManusNigra)
HyperScale Forums

Interesting!

April 2 2012, 9:28 AM 

Do you by any chance know the fate of those two airframes? I can't recall ever seeing a pic of a P-40 wearing German crosses.

Respond to this message   

(Login char1es)
HyperScale Forums

Well, maybe not German crosses...

April 2 2012, 9:07 PM 

But here is one the mechanics in N. Africa mistakenly painted in Vichy markings; someone didn't get the memo....

[linked image]

The P-40's, whose pilots defected to Occupied France, were probably painted similarly.

Respond to this message   

Dan Smith
(Login NinetyThirdLiberator)
HyperScale Forums

That...

April 1 2012, 8:54 PM 

...is going to be really pretty, Chuck. It'll be nice to see the different color scheme as well!

Keep posting.

Respond to this message   

(Login TeddieP)
HyperScale Forums

Off To A Flying Start

April 2 2012, 10:10 AM 

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Special Hobby French P-40 started...
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

HyperScale's Group Build Guidelines

The objective of this Group Build is to encourage as many modellers as possible to build their kits and share their progress via words and photos on this Forum.

You are welcome to post general construction tips or relevant reference information and photos to this Forum too.

This Group Build will feature WWI Aircraft Kits.

1. This Group Build will run until 31 December, 2011.

2. Build as many kits as you like.

3. Conversions, aftermarket and scratchbuilding are all permitted.

4. Any markings are acceptable.

5. Document your progress and do a write-up on your build - where did you have trouble, what improvements did you make, what markings did you choose and why? It would be GREAT if everyone would do a writeup and submit it to HyperScale as a Feature Article.

Posting or replying to messages on The Group Build Forum requires visitors to register. If you have not already registered on one of HyperScale's other Forums, you will need to:

1. First register with Network 54, the Forum provider.Click here to register with Network 54.

2. Then, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

free counters