<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Full of sound and fury (without the sound), pt. 1

April 5 2012 at 4:37 AM

(Login StuartMilliken)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 209.237.253.48

When last heard from here, I had big plans to start on the Super Model Fiat CR-32. Well, I took it out of the box, looked at the sprues, put it back in the box, repeat about 5 times, and finally decided that I'm not up to it yet. All those butt-joined struts and unclear placement issues scared me off for now.

So, I've whipped out this instead:

[linked image]

This is the Revell reboxing of the 1972 vintage Matchbox kit. It's really quite nice, the only real shortcomings being the overdone wing ribs and the prickly rivets on the forward fuselage.

The demarcations of the ailerons are also a bit weak:

[linked image]

So I scribed these out a bit:

[linked image]

The interior is also quite simple, so I spruced it up just a bit by adding a control stick, seat belts, some (probably fictitious) stringers, and also a (perhaps fictitious) blanking piece behind the pilot's seat:

[linked image]

The parts in general tend to have small amounts of flash, so I spent a lot of time cleaning everything up and also drilling holes for the rigging. I then airbrushed on Mr. Surfacer 1200 followed by Gunze gloss black enamel in preparation for a treatment of Alclad aluminum:

[linked image]

Note that I've also painted the vertical tail yellow, as called for in the kit decal scheme. This kit lends itself to painting sub-assemblies.

And then just as I started spraying on my 'tire' color mixture, one of the fittings on my air compressor burst, putting it out of commission:

[linked image]

Sigh. I hope I can get the thing fixed tomorrow.

Thanks for looking!

Stuart

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login ManusNigra)
HyperScale Forums

Ouch

April 5 2012, 6:14 AM 

...hope you can get those fittings locally.

Nice start on this old classic. Matchbox biplanes always were among the best in their range - Fury, P-12, Seafox, Siskin, Helldiver, Gladiator, Walrus, Swordfish, Stranraer, Heyford.

Love the vivid squadron markings they carried. Which sq. are you going for?

Respond to this message   

(Login StuartMilliken)
HyperScale Forums

Hi Claus!

April 5 2012, 6:28 AM 

I stopped in this evening where I originally bought the compressor and the guy there says he can fix it. Should be in business again tomorrow.

I'm doing the markings shown on the box. I tell ya, I feel like I could do a dozen of these if I could find a good selection of decals. Lots of neat schemes for Furies.

Stuart

Respond to this message   

(Login ManusNigra)
HyperScale Forums

Fury markings

April 5 2012, 7:34 AM 

I have one built in the mid-eighties or so in all over yellow (exept for the metal panels). I think I found it in the old profile publication. But most of the different squadrons' markings are pretty straight and should not be to difficult to mask. But I do agree that the Revell box top version looks very attractive!

I still have the original 43rd Sq. checkered markings from the Matchbox kit, and they appear to be in good shape. Yours if you decide to stray from the box options.

Respond to this message   

(Login StuartMilliken)
HyperScale Forums

Thanks for the offer, but...

April 5 2012, 7:37 AM 

I'm already committed to the kit markings, which I quite like.

But thanks anyway!

Stuart

Respond to this message   

(Login mixont)
HyperScale Forums

Sleek looking Bipe!

April 5 2012, 9:33 AM 

I always liked the looks of this plane. Looking forward to your build. Great work so far!

Respond to this message   

(Login Luno13)
HyperScale Forums

I love Furies!

April 5 2012, 6:08 PM 

I think I'm going to love your build too!

Keep us posted happy.gif

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Full of sound and fury (without the sound), pt. 1
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

HyperScale's Group Build Guidelines

The objective of this Group Build is to encourage as many modellers as possible to build their kits and share their progress via words and photos on this Forum.

You are welcome to post general construction tips or relevant reference information and photos to this Forum too.

This Group Build will feature WWI Aircraft Kits.

1. This Group Build will run until 31 December, 2011.

2. Build as many kits as you like.

3. Conversions, aftermarket and scratchbuilding are all permitted.

4. Any markings are acceptable.

5. Document your progress and do a write-up on your build - where did you have trouble, what improvements did you make, what markings did you choose and why? It would be GREAT if everyone would do a writeup and submit it to HyperScale as a Feature Article.

Posting or replying to messages on The Group Build Forum requires visitors to register. If you have not already registered on one of HyperScale's other Forums, you will need to:

1. First register with Network 54, the Forum provider.Click here to register with Network 54.

2. Then, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

free counters