<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

On Display At My Local Hobby Shop, My Friends

May 14 2012 at 3:58 PM
Old Man  (Login vieuxhomme)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 24.148.88.242

I have a bit of space in a case at my local shop, and rotate models through it. This is a recent build that I have there now. It was the first kit I bought there, bought long before I took up building models again. I was there with my daughter for school project supplies, saw this, and thought I would have loved it when I was young. Then when I got it home and looked inside, figured if I piled right into it I would botch it, and put it aside. It survived a couple of moves, and I finally dug it out early this year....

[linked image]

For some reason, this first shot came out with a real winter feel.

Here are a few more:

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

This is a Polikarpov I-15bis, operating on ground attack duty on the Leningrad front during the first winter of the Siege. It is an old-tool ICM, in the Encore boxing from Squadron. Not a bad kit, actually....

It is 1/72, of course.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Claus Dam
(Login ManusNigra)
HyperScale Forums

Nice model - and very nice winter camo

May 14 2012, 6:00 PM 

You've managed to capture the look of a recently applied temporary winter whitewash very well indeed - all over white but not totally uniform. How was the build? This is one I have considered building (SCW) but never got around to buying.

One question as to how you display your models: You make excellent terrain but you limit it to a very small area of the wooden base? I don't find the wood of the base very interesting, so why not expand the terrain to cover most of it? Not meant as a criticism, just curious.

Respond to this message   
Old Man
(Login vieuxhomme)
HyperScale Forums

Thank You, Sir

May 23 2012, 1:01 PM 

This is the 'old tool' kit; ICM has a newly tooled kit of this machine out. The old one is most likely to be found in the 'Encore' boxing that I got many years ago. There are differences between the kits, and I have not done one of the new ones yet, though I have several.

The old one built up pretty well. The interior is not accurate but not much can be seen in any case, so it is no great loss. It is best to score off the one-piece rudder, and add it back later. Getting the exhaust and the intake in properly (the big one on starboard is an intake) is a little tricky.

There is an issue with strut lengths, and I suspect it persists in the new version. Most say the cabanes are too long, but I think the interplanes are too short. I fitted the upper wing on the interplanes first, then went for the cabanes. They were indeed too long, and in trimming them I got one too short and so scratched my own replacement struts, fitting them to the model as it was. When I was done, the center section was noticeably low relative to the windscreen and head-rest. I filed down the headrest a bit, and popped the windscreen off and sanded it down a bit at the base, with the result that things look right enough. But the gap at the center is about a millimeter too short, which is about a 20% error. The lengths of interplane struts in the new kit is the same as in the old. When I do one of these again (and I will), I will add a half millimeter to each end of the interplanes and see how it goes....

Regarding the base, I like the terrain a bit truncated, and got used to some fairly small round plaques they sold at my shop. Only larger ones are available now, so that is what I have on hand. Since I use styrene sheet as the base for the terrain, coated thickly with epoxy, made as a separate unit from the wood, there is an element of materials conservation at work, too. It does not show in snow bases, but the powders I use for dirt drift off in the air, and if I worked directly om the wood base would stain it in an ugly manner.

Respond to this message   
James Ebert ''Randy''
(Login geoffrye35)
HyperScale Forums

really interesting work

May 14 2012, 7:54 PM 

Respond to this message   
Old Man
(Login vieuxhomme)
HyperScale Forums

Thank You, Sir

May 23 2012, 1:04 PM 

It is the first time I tried doing substantial plants on a base.

Respond to this message   

Ted Preston
(Login TeddieP)
HyperScale Forums

Nicely Done, Old Man!

May 15 2012, 11:07 AM 

Respond to this message   
Old Man
(Login vieuxhomme)
HyperScale Forums

Glad You Like It, Sir

May 23 2012, 1:10 PM 

I am very fond of the old Polikarpovs. You may have heard the joke that the design originated with a group of designers and some vodka and the incautious question whether a 55 gallon oil drum could be made to fly....

I am afraid I have simplified the ski rigging a good deal. There is actually a unit with three bungees at both ends of each, but it just was not practical to replicate.

Respond to this message   

William De Coster
(Login eazyprinz)
HyperScale Forums

Your snow camo worked very well

May 16 2012, 1:46 PM 

That looks great in our small scale happy.gif

Love the slightly weathered look - I think you nailed that pretty good

William De Coster / Belgium be.png / Plastic Stories

1/72 - Special Hobby - TT-1 Pinto : Part I (incl Panthers Cup 2012 show report)
1/72 - Airfix/Jo-Han - Mitsubishi Zero/Rufe conversion: Part I
1/72 - Airfix - Hawker Hurricane Mk.I : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV /end (incl. Model Force 2012 show report) new.gif

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

Respond to this message   
Old Man
(Login vieuxhomme)
HyperScale Forums

Thank You, Sir

May 23 2012, 1:16 PM 

And kudos on your I-3....

I did the camouflage in multiple thin coats. I work with PollyScale cut heavily with Future. The first was an irregular coat of dark green. Then there were whites, tinted with tans or greys. I stopped before I had completely covered over the darkest portions of the green coats, and gave it a heavy matting.

The decals were a bit too bright red, so I went over them a bit with a rust-brown wash.

Respond to this message   
José Teixidó A.K.A. SGT Braille
(Login Blitz72.com)
HyperScale Forums

I love it... friend of mine just bought the Hasegawa 2 x 1 kit with resin skis...

May 23 2012, 10:01 AM 

And I'm so wanting one now!

SGT Braille SGT Braille

Respond to this message   
Old Man
(Login vieuxhomme)
HyperScale Forums

Thank You, Sir. You Will Like Having a Model Of One Of These

May 23 2012, 1:19 PM 

Polikarpov's fighters are real classics, and deserve a prominent p[lace in aviation history.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

HyperScale's Group Build Guidelines

The objective of this Group Build is to encourage as many modellers as possible to build their kits and share their progress via words and photos on this Forum.

You are welcome to post general construction tips or relevant reference information and photos to this Forum too.

This Group Build will feature WWI Aircraft Kits.

1. This Group Build will run until 31 December, 2011.

2. Build as many kits as you like.

3. Conversions, aftermarket and scratchbuilding are all permitted.

4. Any markings are acceptable.

5. Document your progress and do a write-up on your build - where did you have trouble, what improvements did you make, what markings did you choose and why? It would be GREAT if everyone would do a writeup and submit it to HyperScale as a Feature Article.

Posting or replying to messages on The Group Build Forum requires visitors to register. If you have not already registered on one of HyperScale's other Forums, you will need to:

1. First register with Network 54, the Forum provider.Click here to register with Network 54.

2. Then, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

free counters