<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

A tale of two trainers pt. I

July 14 2012 at 12:18 PM

(Login ManusNigra)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 89.150.102.51

Have you ever experienced this: A kit which is way outside of your normal range of interest and one you would never consider buying comes into your hands, and it turns out to be a little jewel and just too tempting to resist?

That happened to me recently when William De Coster of Belgium paid me a visit. He brought a Special Hobby 1/72 Temco TT-1 Pinto as a gift. This one:

[linked image]

William knew the kit quite well as he had already made a start on one. Check out part one of his build report here (we are eagerly awaiting part two, William happy.gifhttp://www.network54.com/Forum/644810/message/1334522136/The+wrong+kit+-+Part+I+%28incl-+Panthers+Cup+2012+show+report%29. All the options in this boxing are civilian registered examples.

Since William has done a terrific job on sprue shots and describing initial assembly I'll skip that. His experiences with the build proved invaluable to my build. The dihedral problem is due to the lower wings being too long. Trimming a little less than a mm from the tips of the lower wings made sure that they slotted into the upper wings correctly and enabled a correct dihedral.

I added a bit of nose weight to make sure it would not be a tail sitter. William had a problem with the rear headrest - mounting it in its natural position prevented the canopy from fitting correctly. So I glued the rear headrest low enough to ensure the canopy would fit. Headrests (not shown in pics below) were scratchbuilt as I lost the kit supplied ones along with the tail pipe and front u/c door - I managed to throw away a sprue that was not empty. Aaaargh! Thankfully those parts were easy enough to replace.

Cockpit is well equipped so all I added was seatbelts.

[linked image]

[linked image]

I spent a lot of time dryfitting and sanding the major parts and ended up using no putty at all. I have a few minor gaps but I hope those will be covered by a primer coat or two.

[linked image]

Canopy masked and ready for priming!

[linked image]

White primer is Vallejo 28010 spray can. I only meant this as a primer, but as the aircraft is going to be all white anyway, I think I just saved myself the trouble of a paint coat. The gaps I had were more or less filled by th eprimer coat - good!

[linked image]

Those headrests... at this stage I found some video footage of this very plane, and it appears to have different seats. I guess bang seats are not allowed on civilian a/c. But the cockpit has the lid on, so I can't change that now. I think I'll just leave off the civil registration (very small lettering on the tail, see boxtop) and pretend it is a military bird. I strongly suspect this scheme is bogus as I can not recall seeing Pintos in service being any other colour than yellow, but what the heck...

Masking removed. It's beginning to look like the boxtop artwork! Headrests visible in this shot:

[linked image]

As to the other trainer in the message title, I thought the Pinto looked a bit like the PZL TS-11 Iskra. So I ordered the Mastercraft kit to build alongside. It was a bit late in arriving, so I haven't started on it yet.

[linked image]

I don't know if Mastercraft produce their own kits or just rebox kits from other manufacturers. But the quality of their kits varies quite a bit. I have a Mastercraft PZL P.7 which is a terrific little kit. And then there is this Iskra, which is a bit on the crude side. The box was undamaged when I received it, but never the less one fuselage half was on the sprue broken into three parts. Breaks thankfully were clean and easily glued, so you probably can't tell from the pic below which half is the repaired one.

[linked image]

The kit offers four decal options according to the instruction sheet painting guide, but strangely only one of those (the one on the box top) appears on the decal sheet. The three other - and not on the painting guide - options on the decal sheet are two other Polish a/c and an Indian one. While that bird of prey nose art looks striking, I don't think I am up to the challenge of trying to get those decals to conform to the nose shape. I think I'll go for an Indian exanple.

This message has been edited by ManusNigra from IP address 89.150.102.51 on Jul 14, 2012 4:40 PM
This message has been edited by ManusNigra from IP address 89.150.102.51 on Jul 14, 2012 3:11 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login Retoff)
HyperScale Forums

a Pinto AND an Iskra--how cool can you get!...

July 14 2012, 4:02 PM 

...wonderfully obscure subjects. Great start on the Pinto.
A classy, discerning gift from William De Coster.
--Bill

Respond to this message   

(Login ManusNigra)
HyperScale Forums

Obscure indeed

July 17 2012, 1:50 PM 

...at least to me as I don't normally build jets!

Respond to this message   

(Login eazyprinz)
HyperScale Forums

Darn that looks nice with wing tip tanks

July 15 2012, 12:56 PM 

I'm glad you are enjoying this little kit Claus happy.gif

Mine is finished, but due to the big yearly summer lazy attack I struggle to finish the build report, maybe over the next few days - since I'm grounded now, being sick

How did your canopy fit, you don't seem to have had any problems with it ? The fogging on mine ruins my build, but otherwise it was a pleasant build, with an unpleasant colourscheme. About the dihedral... well I just watched a video of "your" Pinto (I was curious about the bang seats) and I couldn't help noticing those wings seem to have a lot of dihedral... and it even looks nice ! Darn, for me it is too late...

http://www.minijets.org/index.php?id=189

I'm also happy to see the Iskra, I have seen this kit occasionally, but never knew it intimately. It may look a bit rough but the decals sure look great, and I think I also would go for the Indian example - just to fill the Indian gap in my collection. Make sure to not forget to keep us informed about this little beastie either.

William De Coster / Belgium be.png / Plastic Stories

1/72 - Special Hobby - TT-1 Pinto : Part I (incl Panthers Cup 2012 show report)
1/72 - Airfix/Jo-Han - Mitsubishi Zero/Rufe conversion: Part I
1/72 - Airfix - Douglas Devastator : Part I

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

Respond to this message   

(Login ManusNigra)
HyperScale Forums

Looking forward to your final build report!

July 17 2012, 2:06 PM 

I forgot to mention it in my post, but my canopy was not a perfect fit either. I trimmed both clear part and fuselage to get a decent fit and in the end I only had fill to with a little white glue at the sides of the windscreen, where the clear part was a bit too wide.

Like you I think I didn't get enough dihedral. Ah well...

The Iskra is progressing well - I expect A Tale of two Trainers to appear Sunday. Fit is not state of the art, but at 2.40 Euro I don't mind a little filling and sanding... happy.gif

Get well soon!

Respond to this message   

(Login mixont)
HyperScale Forums

Two trainers

July 15 2012, 3:51 PM 

Claus, those will look very nice next to each other! Will you use the bird scheme on the TS-II?

Respond to this message   

(Login ManusNigra)
HyperScale Forums

Thanks, Tim

July 17 2012, 2:14 PM 

I am actually considering getting an Aero L-29 and a Magister as well to expand the early jet trainers collection. The bird scheme is very attractive, but I have decided to do a yellow/aluminium Indian version instead.

BTW, I got the Bleriot. Thanks for pointing it out to me!

Respond to this message   
Chad Veich
(no login)

Re: A tale of two trainers pt. I

July 16 2012, 9:43 PM 

A few years back I worked in the Scottsdale Airpark, where this particular bird is hangared, and had opportunity to see it on several occasions. It is a really clean and neat little jet with pretty spectacular performance thanks to the engine upgrade. Just FYI, the airplane is actually light grey rather than white. Good luck with the build!

Respond to this message   

(Login ManusNigra)
HyperScale Forums

Thanks for the colour info

July 17 2012, 2:23 PM 

... but it is too late now: I have the decals on. I have seen lots of pics and video footage of this bird on the web - and I do agree it is very obvious that it is a veryy light grey - but somehow I didn't make a mental note of that and went for the white colour called for in the instructions. Oh well...

I read about the engine upgrade - it must have been very different to fly compared to the original version.

Thanks for dropping by!

Respond to this message   

(Login StuartMilliken)
HyperScale Forums

Looking very good so far

July 18 2012, 4:43 AM 

Am following with interest; should look pretty nifty with decals on.

Stuart

Respond to this message   

(Login ManusNigra)
HyperScale Forums

Hi Stuart

July 19 2012, 9:43 AM 

It does look nifty with decals on! - they are on now (although not without problems). Watch this space! happy.gif

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - A tale of two trainers pt. I
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

HyperScale's Group Build Guidelines

The objective of this Group Build is to encourage as many modellers as possible to build their kits and share their progress via words and photos on this Forum.

You are welcome to post general construction tips or relevant reference information and photos to this Forum too.

This Group Build will feature WWI Aircraft Kits.

1. This Group Build will run until 31 December, 2011.

2. Build as many kits as you like.

3. Conversions, aftermarket and scratchbuilding are all permitted.

4. Any markings are acceptable.

5. Document your progress and do a write-up on your build - where did you have trouble, what improvements did you make, what markings did you choose and why? It would be GREAT if everyone would do a writeup and submit it to HyperScale as a Feature Article.

Posting or replying to messages on The Group Build Forum requires visitors to register. If you have not already registered on one of HyperScale's other Forums, you will need to:

1. First register with Network 54, the Forum provider.Click here to register with Network 54.

2. Then, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

free counters