<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Staaken R.IV Top Wing On, Interplanes Attached!

August 1 2012 at 10:16 PM

Dan Smith  (Login NinetyThirdLiberator)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 71.212.27.194

All,

I got all the struts in with a bit of niggling. I did need to super glue a very fine length of brass rod to the trailing edge of each strut so they wouldn't bend under the springy top/bottom wings. They are pretty heavy! You can't even see them...especially once they get painted.

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Rigging tomorrow. I can't wait because then the dang thing will be strong and tight as a drum.

Stay tuned...

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login StuartMilliken)
HyperScale Forums

Wow and double wow, Dan!

August 1 2012, 10:22 PM 

I'm more and more impressed with each post. And to think that I get all worked up trying to rig a single-bay biplane.

Got some good strong undercarriage?

Stuart

Respond to this message   

Dan Smith
(Login NinetyThirdLiberator)
HyperScale Forums

No kidding, Stuart!

August 1 2012, 11:03 PM 

This thing weighs a ton so I do think the landing gear will need some brass...although I do want to display it in flight over either London or the White Cliffs. We'll see what I come up with!

Thanks for the kind words and taking a look...

Respond to this message   

(Login StuartMilliken)
HyperScale Forums

Oooo, neat!

August 2 2012, 1:31 AM 

How are you going to do the propellers then? (Or is that a secret?)

Stuart

Respond to this message   

Dan Smith
HyperScale Forums

I think clear discs...

August 2 2012, 8:30 AM 

I did this on a Camel a while ago and they were pretty convincing...I'll try cutting off the props from the center hubs of the kit's and we'll see!

Part of it is that the pushers are 4-bladed affairs and I fear them...

Respond to this message   
Adrian
(Login AdrianMF)
HyperScale Forums

...and it's BIG, too!

August 2 2012, 8:39 AM 

If I was an upper gunner I'd be worried about where my legs dangled! This is a fantastic build...

Regards,
Adrian

Respond to this message   

(Login ManusNigra)
HyperScale Forums

Dan, you have a serious problem

August 2 2012, 2:05 PM 

with your attitude toward these supposedly difficult kits. You not only approach them as they were a piece of cake but you also decide to complicate matters further by converting them into strange and difficult versions. happy.gif

You are doing a splendid job on this one - I really love those figures as they add so much life to the model. Although the guy in the nacelle looks a bit like he is considering a jump to commit suicide. But I suppose he is getting up to go to the ladder for the upper gun position?

It's a pretty novel idea to decide to display such a large model in flight - I'm really looking forward to see how you work with that. I think it's a great idea!

The pusher props are not fourbladers, as I'm sure you know (you did get the Haddow/Grosz volume, right?): They are two twobladers on each engine. So you'll need two clear discs on each engine to represent that. I have never seen anyone do that, but I'm sure it'll work.

Please finish this one quickly as the R.IV is also my favorite R-plane and I would really like to build one. And as we all know, Roden is bound to announce one as soon as yours is finished... happy.gif

This message has been edited by ManusNigra from IP address 89.150.102.51 on Aug 2, 2012 2:31 PM

Respond to this message   

Dan Smith
HyperScale Forums

Howzit going, Claus??

August 2 2012, 3:04 PM 

I never even thought of the prop idea. I did know they were two superimposed...but I never thought you'd need to show two clear spinning discs...not sure how that would look, actually. Maybe just a blur in one disc will suffice??

Any suggestions would be great.

P.S. I thought about you last night watching the Olympics...a young lady from Denmark was swimming like crazy!

Respond to this message   

(Login mixont)
HyperScale Forums

Dan this is marvelous work!

August 3 2012, 3:36 PM 

Sorry I have not posted on this before but I have been following. I am amazed at the detail you have achieved with the nancelles and fusilage moulding. The lozenge looks very nice as well.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Staaken R.IV Top Wing On, Interplanes Attached!
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

HyperScale's Group Build Guidelines

The objective of this Group Build is to encourage as many modellers as possible to build their kits and share their progress via words and photos on this Forum.

You are welcome to post general construction tips or relevant reference information and photos to this Forum too.

This Group Build will feature WWI Aircraft Kits.

1. This Group Build will run until 31 December, 2011.

2. Build as many kits as you like.

3. Conversions, aftermarket and scratchbuilding are all permitted.

4. Any markings are acceptable.

5. Document your progress and do a write-up on your build - where did you have trouble, what improvements did you make, what markings did you choose and why? It would be GREAT if everyone would do a writeup and submit it to HyperScale as a Feature Article.

Posting or replying to messages on The Group Build Forum requires visitors to register. If you have not already registered on one of HyperScale's other Forums, you will need to:

1. First register with Network 54, the Forum provider.Click here to register with Network 54.

2. Then, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

free counters