<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

GAGB- Cuatro Vientos part 2

December 10 2016 at 7:26 AM

Dan Hayward  (Login danh4)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 172.76.237.106

I didn't want to get too far into this before figuring out how to do the cockpit enclosure. My original thought was to cut out all the windows leaving just the framework which I would fill with carefully cut and glued clear panels. The thickness of the kit plastic put an end to that idea which is a good thing because I think it would have been a real nightmare.

Then I decided I'd try to vacuform the entire enclosure, using the kit parts to make the form. I carefully cut the enclosure area from the fuselage halves, glued those pieces together and added more plastic to deepen and lengthen the form. I wanted the eventual vacformed canopy to fit down inside the sides of the cockpit opening so it needed to be taller. The extra length gives me room to add flanges to the front and rear of the opening in the fuselage that the canopy can sit on. I also made the form a bit narrower to account for the thickness of the clear plastic.

[linked image]

Success! I think this is going to work, so now I can start on the interior.

-Dan

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Dan Smith
(Login myxococcus)
HyperScale Forums

Incredible and clean

December 10 2016, 9:41 AM 

Well done, ECDan. That's some nice work.

WCDan

Respond to this message   
Graham Carter
(Login gcarter17)
HyperScale Forums

I agree with West Coast Dan - that looks like a brilliant solution EC Dan, beautifully

December 10 2016, 12:06 PM 

executed and so clean when done. I will file that idea away in the brain cells!!

Respond to this message   

Mark J Davies
(Login kiwikitbasher)
HyperScale Forums

Very nicely done, and something the kit manufacturer should have done in the first place!

December 10 2016, 1:53 PM 

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

Stuart Milliken
(Login StuartMilliken)
HyperScale Forums

Skillful bit of work there

December 10 2016, 4:51 PM 

This is going to be very nice indeed!

Stuart

Respond to this message   

William De Coster
(Login eazyprinz)
HyperScale Forums

That is.... I'm without words

December 11 2016, 1:42 PM 

But magic comes close I think happy.gif

This really should work - it looks like the bees knees - excellent work Dan - how you overcame this problem is really A++++++ style !

William De Coster / Belgium be.png / Plastic Stories / Plastic Gatherings

1/72 - Choroszy Modelbud - LWS 4 Zubr : Part I - Part II - Part III (incl. Scale World 2016 show report)
1/72 - Matchbox - Alpha Jet : Part I - Part II (incl. PilsenKIT 2016 show report) - Part III /End
1/72 - Matchbox - Gloster Gladiator : Part I (incl Eday 2016 show report) - Part II (incl Belgian Nationals 2016 show report)
1/72 - Matchbox - F4U-4 Corsair : Prelude - Part I - Part II (incl Euro Scale Modelling 2016 show report) new.gif
1/72 - Azur - Vultee V-11 : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V /End
1/144 - Trumpeter - F-16A/C Fighting Falcon Block 15/30/32 : Part I
1/144 - OzMods - F-86D Sabre : Part I new.gif

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

This message has been edited by eazyprinz from IP address 195.144.82.81 on Dec 13, 2016 2:05 PM

Respond to this message   
Victor Scheuerman
(Login ffirefighter13)
HyperScale Forums

Impressive Dan...

December 13 2016, 4:55 AM 

You nailed that part! This is going to turn out so well.......

Cheers, Vic

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

HyperScale's Group Build Guidelines

The objective of this Group Build is to encourage as many modellers as possible to build their kits and share their progress via words and photos on this Forum.

You are welcome to post general construction tips or relevant reference information and photos to this Forum too.

This Group Build will feature WWI Aircraft Kits.

1. This Group Build will run until 31 December, 2011.

2. Build as many kits as you like.

3. Conversions, aftermarket and scratchbuilding are all permitted.

4. Any markings are acceptable.

5. Document your progress and do a write-up on your build - where did you have trouble, what improvements did you make, what markings did you choose and why? It would be GREAT if everyone would do a writeup and submit it to HyperScale as a Feature Article.

Posting or replying to messages on The Group Build Forum requires visitors to register. If you have not already registered on one of HyperScale's other Forums, you will need to:

1. First register with Network 54, the Forum provider.Click here to register with Network 54.

2. Then, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

free counters