Schools are 99% hoop jumping...

by Pete (Login The-Universe)
Admin

They have to be, by design. If you had 30 students all doing creative projects, most instructors wouldn't be able to keep up with the work load and the grading would not be on a level playing field. So we jump through hoops as we go.

I can't tell you how much crap I was tested on that had absolutely nothing to do with being a competent doctor. It is just required to see if you can climb above others to graduate the program or not.

In many situations, the real learning comes during internships, etc.

I agree this stuff is boring. I don't even like to help that much on these ass-ingments, and I like programming.

You may have noted Solitaire provided a much better menu method, but it isn't part of this student's assignment. If a student gets this kind of help, but is too pressed for time, he will be stuck learning a less efficient method of programming, just to get the assignment done.

I don't know about those of you in other parts of the world, but the educational system in the USA is not nearly as good as it was when I went to school. Too much homework, not enough discipline in the school, which leads to not enough learning. I also think too much emphasis is placed on preparing for one damn state test after another instead of reinforcing and building upon what was learned at an earlier time. It's almost like they are teaching trivia these days in elementary schools, just to get state funding.

My son would get a bit of a lower score than expected on math tests, because he could not write the answers fast enough on a timed test. It turned out that when he was in first grade, his teachers did not notice he had a peculiar way of writing, like a left hander, but he is right handed. Anyway, they concentrated on his poor printing and made him do more printing, which only reinforced the improper writing biomechanics.

My wife and I decided the school just wasn’t providing the type of education we wanted our son to have, so we tried an experiment. We cut our son's homework in half. We told him we would look at the assignments and cross out what we believed was weak and unimportant. We also tell him to read books he is interested in instead of assigned texts in some cases. His test scores improved every since we adopted this philosophy.

Pete

Posted on Dec 10, 2009, 7:43 PM

Respond to this message   

Return to Index

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement