BladesReunited - the SUFC forum for grown-ups

Return to Forum  

A few thoughts on yesterday

March 29 2010 at 1:40 PM
No score for this post
Saneblade  (Login saneblade)

A poor game between two pretty poor sides. The main difference was that one of the sides had a bit of determination and purpose, whilst the other looked like it didn't really know what it stood for.

Funnily enough, I can't say I didn't enjoy it yesterday. It was a pleasant enough chat amongst friend, a bit of fresh air, a spot of sunshine, and some cathartic anger at the end. The football played wasn't pitiful - we tried to play, and created some chances all right, but not at any stage did I feel like I was watching a side playing at home, in a pivotal game, with a shout for the playoffs. they seemed to be trying hard enough, but it all felt like they were going through the motions (much like swimming in the sea at Southport, my mum used to say). And in the last five minutes, we besieged their goal in a way that suggested we didn't really believe we would score. In fact, at the end, we missed so many chances that you wondered for a second if the team did not want to score.

It was a very sad end to a truly terrible campaign. As another poster has said, how have we gone from what we were in 2006/2007 to this?

ratings:

Simonsen 8. Too good for us. He would be mad to come here.

Taylor 3. I feel sorry for him. Tries very hard, looks like he ought to be playing at least 2 leagues lower, but doesnt believe in himself any more than we believe in him. Not his fault.

Nosworthy 5. Did OK, made things overcomplicated, but didnt seem to dominate anyone.

Bartley 6. At least he is mobile and tried to get forward - I think he looks at what is in front of him and thinks he is a better attacker than any of ours. Made several howlers, but I would persevere.

Connolly 6. I quite like the way he plays - solid, combative right back. We need to forget how the Kyles played at RB - we wont see the likes of them again.

Quinn 6. Played well - busy, created several chances.

Harper 4. Flapped his wings more than last week's pigeon, but to less effect. Is carrying the scapegoat baton.

Monty 6. Played like Monty. Seemed very upset at the end. I f I was him, I'd go elsewhere.

Yeats 5.5. Busyish, but seems to have less pace and quality than Cotts, and is no better defensively.

Creswell 4. His worst game for us. Maybe he cant play with Henderson

Henderson 3. Terrible. What is he?

Subs:

Camara 4. Looked like he didn't want to come on.

Little 6. What is the opposite of scapegoat? OK he did some nice stuff, but he isn't the messiah.

Williamson . No Comment.

Scunny: A poor side, but well organised and fought for each other.

My highlight - midway through second half I shouted to our manager 'Are you happy with this Blackwell?'. He turned round and said 'shut up'. You cant say he doesn't have a rapport with the fans can you?

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

BladesReunited - the SUFC forum for grown-ups