BladesReunited - the SUFC forum for grown-ups

Return to Forum  

Wise words??

July 5 2012 at 1:51 PM
No score for this post
Den Haag Blade  (no login)

Taken from an Arsenal fan's anaylsis of the departure of RVP. Maybe I'm getting old and losing my passion for football, but this rang true to me:

Ultimately the point I really want to make is that we all have to stop hero-worshipping footballers. Any footballers. If you can come to see the players as just paid professionals, of whom the most you can really hope is that they like their place of work and do a good job at it, then you’re likely to find the experience of being a fan much less upsetting.

Forget about Roy of the frigging Rovers. Stop having names of millionaires printed on your replica shirts. Glory in the team winning and playing good football. Love the club for its traditions if you like, or just because it’s where you see your pals and, mostly, have a great time. But take the players off pedestals. They don’t deserve it.

Taking this to its logical conclusion, we're fooling ourselves by investing so much emotion in the dream of those signings this summer that're going to become heroes and lead us back to the promised land. Reality is, we should get behind whoever's wearing the red and white stripes come the start of next season - some of them will have good seasons, and others not, but it's about Sheffield United at the end of the day rather than the pampered invididuals wearing the shirts.

UTB - and down with hero-worshipping millionaires !

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

BladesReunited - the SUFC forum for grown-ups