BladesReunited - the SUFC forum for grown-ups

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Matteo Talks..

May 11 2011 at 7:37 PM
No score for this post
DonnyBlade  (no login)

Just seen this on Blades Mad..

It was confirmed this (Wednesday) evening that former West Brom and MK Dons manager Roberto Di Matteo HAS been in contact with chairman Kevin McCabe in regards of the vacant manager's job...

The Blades chairman Kevin McCabe featured on a live phone-in on BBC Radio Sheffield's Football Heaven on Wednesday evening, and did reveal that Roberto Di Matteo is 'one of several managers who has shown their interest in the club's vacant manager's position.

More to follow...

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
alpine blade
(no login)

Re: Matteo Talks..

No score for this post
May 11 2011, 7:44 PM 

Please not Di Matteo. He is not the answer to getting out of that division. Let's get someone with a track record in that division. Pemberton neither. No experience at that level. Managerial experience is not something that comes naturally. We are a club that should attract a considerable amount of interest. We have time (a month or so, I would have thought). Let's do this properly.

Duncan Disorderly
(no login)

No score for this post
May 11 2011, 8:39 PM 

Unfortunately Alpine, you will know as well as me that there will be a 'standout candidate' like O'Driscoll, like De Mateo, which a section of the support will imagine is "the answer". Appointment of anyone else will be met with a fractious intolerance, the making up of derogatory nicknames, and the drip effect of picking on every error or setback better than any 'leader of the opposition'.

Ultimately, all human endeavour is futile, so predicting failure and waiting for its arrival takes little if any brain power...

bladeinthesouth
(no login)

Paul Tisdale

No score for this post
May 11 2011, 9:43 PM 

Having gone away and read elsewhere, I quite like the sound of Paul Tisdale.

He has done a decent job at Exeter moving them from conference to league 1, and I think he got Bath University's football team into the 1st round of the FA cup. I think thats quite a decent and unusual achievment.

That might demonstrate someone who is able to step up and achieve. Would Sheffield United be a similiar sort of challenge for him.

M33Blade
(Login M33Blade)

Disagree

No score for this post
May 11 2011, 9:29 PM 

Di Matteo might not be the most experienced manager but his admittedly short track record is excellent in the top 3 divisions.

Took MK Dons to 3rd in Lg 1, took West Brom up from the Championship, and then performed well with them in the top flight, before being mysteriously sacked, although admittedly his replacement improved the team. Results in the top flight included a win at the Emirates and a draw with Man Utd.

I just think it would be nice to have a manager who genuinely wants to get the ball down and play attractive, progressive, attacking football. I've been watching Utd since 1984 and the only time I remember that style of play over a sustained period was for half a season under Kendall, with an ageing Gordon Cowans pulling the strings.

Kiwi Blade
(no login)

RDM a footballer and thinker.

No score for this post
May 12 2011, 5:01 AM 

Alpine Blade,I remember that the best player by far to play for the Blades, took his footballing principles into maangership with Peterborough, and then into Europe. The players may not have liked it but he was a success as a player and as a manager. I am surprised that you would be against RDM but you probably have forgotten more about football than I will ever know.
J.H. RIP UTB.

Reading Blade
(no login)

No score for this post
May 13 2011, 8:45 AM 

I agree that time needs to be taken to get the appointment right but I agree with the posters that want Di Matteo (at this stage).

So far, I've not seen anyone else I've been that keen on.

He has always come across to me as an excellent thinker and comes across really well. His track record and style of football previously has been excellent.

He also comes across as a decent human being.

Is experience really "all that"?

There are plenty of experienced managers who appear stale and lacking in ideas in the top 3 divisions.

I'm pleased he's interested in the post and I hope he's given proper consideration.

UTB

Reading Blade

granthamblades
(no login)

No score for this post
May 13 2011, 11:42 AM 

With the constant emphasis on our Youth,then experience, by the powers that be, it is clear that Pemberton will have a big role to play in the future developement of our club, and imo that is why he is currently the Bookies favorite.If he is not appointed,the person who is,will have to work closely with him, and in a such like situation the likes od Short and possibly SOD could come into the reckoning.Robins could also be in the frame,if only because of his reported unexpected departure from the Dingles, which came out of the blue, and convieniently at the time when we are in the market for a decent young manager,with a track record of inexpensively doing well locally.

UTB.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  
BladesReunited - the SUFC forum for grown-ups