Read More Postings!  

Crash Site Revisited...

March 31 2010 at 3:02 PM
No score for this post
  (no login)

Response to Simple, really

For the past two years, I've grown more and more curious as to the whereabouts of the crash, and I THINK I've narrowed the location down within a hundred feet. I work in New Orleans and live in Slidell, and often Hwy 90 to go home. On many occasions, I've slowed down, stopped, looked at mile posts, got out of the car, whatever. Here are my findings (please pardon the longevity):

I used Bob Walker's page as my primary source of reference, since it appears to be much more accurate and believable than other sites out there.

Bob says to look for mile post 292. Coming from New Orleans and driving east on Hwy 90, the mile markers are few and far between, probably due to Hurricane Katrina. I found markers 283 and 284 and then drove exactly eight miles from marker 284. The eight-mile point took me to the corner of Hwy 90 and Brazellier Island Rd. The Brazellier Island street sign is no longer there, but you can still see the road. It's blocked off with a big yellow gate.

From that point, I turned around and, using my calculator, figured out that Bob's quote of 2118 feet west of the site was right about four-tenths of a mile. I drove that distance, then stopped. There's a sign on the side of the road that reads 'Zone 2.' This location is where I believe the crash happened.

If I'm not mistaken, the Rigolets is the line that divides Orleans and St. Tammany parishes. The spot I found is about 6.3 miles before you get to the foot of the Rigolets bridge (coming from New Orleans). Bob said the crash occurred 23 miles from downtown New Orleans. This makes sense, since the site I found is about 26 miles from Lee Circle. And yes, that part of the highway is very curvy. The other side of the bridge is straight highway, without a curve for many miles. The reason people think the accident occurred in Slidell is probably because it happened close to the Slidell city line and miles from the heart of New Orleans. But technically, the crash was just a few miles within the New Orleans city limits.

By the way, the car was never driven on Old Spanish Trail, as some sites have reported. There was no need to do so, unless Jayne and her party detoured off Hwy 90 and drove into Slidell. Every indication shows that they stayed on Hwy 90, from the gulf coast all the way to the crash site. Yes, they may have stopped at the old White Kitchen restaurant, but even it was located on 90, on the edge of Slidell.

Bob Walker says he won't answer any emails asking about the location of the crash, but I did drop a line anyway, and asked him if my findings were correct. No reply. The only other possible sources of info that I can think of are the downtown library's newspaper archives, or even NOPD's archives, if you can find someone willing to help you look. If you find out more info before I do, please post it here or send me an email at uptowndave@aol.com.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

Your Ad Here