<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Read More Postings!  

The Actual Crash Site

November 13 2009 at 9:42 AM
No score for this post

(Premier Login spindaddydad)
Forum Owner

We've had a little trouble pinpointing on a map the actual crash site. One report denotes the crash happened on Hwy 90 just SW of the intersection of Old Spanish Trail and Hwy 90 (see red dot in first pic below). This would have meant their car had not yet passed over The Rigolets and the large steel bridge.

According to the Coroner's autopsy report (second pic below, courtesy of findadeath.com) the accident occurred about 1 mile west of The Rigolets (pronounces Rig-a-leez, French for "ditch") or the red "X" in the third photo below... but the coroner's report is not accurate. It is actually about 6 miles west of the Rigolets bridge. How does such an egregious error happen on an official report. The fourth photo below marks the actual crash site on a map.

If any of you Mansfield experts out there have any knowledge of the exact whereabouts the crash took place, we'd greatly appreciate it if you'd let us know.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

The below photograph has been updated with what we believe to be the exact location of Jayne Mansfield's crash site. See the video elsewhere in this thread that shows the Jayne Mansfield roadside memorial erected by a fan:
[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

This message has been edited by spindaddydad on Apr 13, 2011 8:43 AM
This message has been edited by spindaddydad on Apr 13, 2011 8:41 AM
This message has been edited by spindaddydad on Apr 1, 2010 9:22 AM
This message has been edited by spindaddydad on Nov 13, 2009 9:43 AM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login nolachick)

Simple, really

No score for this post
December 15 2009, 10:38 PM 

The death certificate shows that the accident happened in Orleans Parish. If it had occurred in the location shown on the first map, it would have been St. Tammany Parish. Once you crossed the Rigolets and the old bridge, you're in Orleans Parish. That's a strong indication that the second location is correct. Also, all of the news reports mention rounding a curve in the road and coming up on the truck unexpectedly. East of the bridge is a long, straight stretch of road. To the west it's a series of curves. That makes the case for the second location even stronger. Third, the kids were taken to Charity Hospital, in Orleans Parish (and then on to Ochsner, also in New Orleans)rather than to Slidell Memorial which was closer, but in St. Tammany Parish. As a side note, Orleans Parish was (and still is) covered by LSP Troop B, while St. Tammany is Troop L. The children would have been taken to a hospital within the same district as the responding officers. walkerpub.com gives specific directions to the site, from a radio reporter who was at the scene: "TO VISIT WHERE THE CRASH OCCURED: Proceed on U.S. Highway 90 to milepost 292. Go westbound from there 2118 feet and you will be within 20 feet of where the crash occured. There are no phone or electric poles nearby to use as a reference." - according to this, it would be almost exactly where your red X is.

Forum Owner

Re: Simple, really

No score for this post
December 18 2009, 9:14 AM 

Thanks Nola,

Your deduction seems accurate. Your knowledge of the area and references make a very strong case that the second map marks the correct location of the crash.

(no login)

Crash Site Revisited...

No score for this post
March 31 2010, 3:02 PM 

For the past two years, I've grown more and more curious as to the whereabouts of the crash, and I THINK I've narrowed the location down within a hundred feet. I work in New Orleans and live in Slidell, and often Hwy 90 to go home. On many occasions, I've slowed down, stopped, looked at mile posts, got out of the car, whatever. Here are my findings (please pardon the longevity):

I used Bob Walker's page as my primary source of reference, since it appears to be much more accurate and believable than other sites out there.

Bob says to look for mile post 292. Coming from New Orleans and driving east on Hwy 90, the mile markers are few and far between, probably due to Hurricane Katrina. I found markers 283 and 284 and then drove exactly eight miles from marker 284. The eight-mile point took me to the corner of Hwy 90 and Brazellier Island Rd. The Brazellier Island street sign is no longer there, but you can still see the road. It's blocked off with a big yellow gate.

From that point, I turned around and, using my calculator, figured out that Bob's quote of 2118 feet west of the site was right about four-tenths of a mile. I drove that distance, then stopped. There's a sign on the side of the road that reads 'Zone 2.' This location is where I believe the crash happened.

If I'm not mistaken, the Rigolets is the line that divides Orleans and St. Tammany parishes. The spot I found is about 6.3 miles before you get to the foot of the Rigolets bridge (coming from New Orleans). Bob said the crash occurred 23 miles from downtown New Orleans. This makes sense, since the site I found is about 26 miles from Lee Circle. And yes, that part of the highway is very curvy. The other side of the bridge is straight highway, without a curve for many miles. The reason people think the accident occurred in Slidell is probably because it happened close to the Slidell city line and miles from the heart of New Orleans. But technically, the crash was just a few miles within the New Orleans city limits.

By the way, the car was never driven on Old Spanish Trail, as some sites have reported. There was no need to do so, unless Jayne and her party detoured off Hwy 90 and drove into Slidell. Every indication shows that they stayed on Hwy 90, from the gulf coast all the way to the crash site. Yes, they may have stopped at the old White Kitchen restaurant, but even it was located on 90, on the edge of Slidell.

Bob Walker says he won't answer any emails asking about the location of the crash, but I did drop a line anyway, and asked him if my findings were correct. No reply. The only other possible sources of info that I can think of are the downtown library's newspaper archives, or even NOPD's archives, if you can find someone willing to help you look. If you find out more info before I do, please post it here or send me an email at uptowndave@aol.com.

Forum Owner

Re: Crash Site Revisited...

No score for this post
April 1 2010, 9:01 AM 

Very cool stuff Dave. Thanks for the information.

(Login swampjockey59)

Dead Man's Curve Photo

No score for this post
August 29 2010, 9:55 PM 

I went to the site a couple of days ago. I first went to the Hwy 90 hwy. 190 intersection. I wanted to take a picture of the old White Kitchen restaurant sign. The restaurant itself burned down many years ago. Traveling East, it would be on the right side of hwy. 90 just past the intersection. White Kitchen was a popular place in the 60's and anyone traveling from New Orleans to Mississippi would stop here. This, according to eyewitnesses was the last place Jayne Mansfield and company stopped before that fateful night. Anyhow, I turned around, crossed the Rigolets. Using my hand held GPS, I traveled exactly 6.3 miles and took a photo of the curve I believe where the accident took place. Right near the Zone 2 sign. Hope the photo comes out. [linked image]

Forum Owner

Re: Dead Man's Curve Photo

No score for this post
August 31 2010, 8:27 AM 

Great pic Jerry. This seems right as that is a very sharp curve. Easy to see how you could run up on a slow/stopped vehicle in such a hurry... especially in darkness.

(no login)

dead mans curve photo

No score for this post
March 22 2011, 10:55 AM 

You said you hoped the photo turned out ok. I think its great. And thank you for posting it for all us curious onlookers. Sad that no one ever put up a memorial there. Again, thank you

(no login)

see the video ...

No score for this post
September 14 2013, 5:37 PM 

(no login)

Jayne Mansfield Crash Site

No score for this post
April 12 2011, 10:44 AM 

There is a large white cross marking the location where the crash occured. There is a video of this location:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf_jNf5xwKQ

Forum Owner

Re: Jayne Mansfield Crash Site

No score for this post
April 13 2011, 4:33 PM 

Awesome video John! Love it that someone has constructed a roadside memorial. We may not have an official recognition of the site from the state of Louisiana, but now we have this.

This not only finally puts the Jayne Mansfield crash site location on the map, but it also shows what shoddy coroner work was done at the time of the crash that pinpointed the crash site at 1 mile west of the Rigolets bridge. Jeez!

Thanks John!

(no login)

jayne manfield accident site

No score for this post
November 3 2011, 12:11 PM 

my name is james i grew up one mile from accident site it was in front of lake catherine marina one mile west of riglets bridge i know i was there feel free to email me

(no login)

Jayne Mansfield Crash Site Location

No score for this post
January 10 2012, 2:33 AM 

Hello all Mansfield Crash Speculators;

After reading all the available info and much carefull scrutiny on the possible location of the "Actual Crash Site", I have come to the conclusion that this person "James" that says he lives close to it and says that it happened just in front of that Marina, 1 mile west of the Bridge is the correct location! Just as the Coroner said in his report. The Coroner is probably not stupid or he wouldn't be a Coroner. He has to know all the facts - not just guessing, as his career would have been on the line, especially in such a high profile investigation.
The convincing clues are still there as well, right on the highway! If you look at the crash pictures very closely with a zoom-in on a good computer monitor you will see that the terain all around the car looks like it's all "Sandy and very Tundra-like soil" beyond the shoulder of the highway. Not at all like green grass or a forest of trees in the distance at a sharp curve in the road. The "Fire Truck", which attended the scene is barely visble to the right of the car in one of the frontal pictures and is also facing East or opposite the direction of the car. Look closely and you will see the ladder hanging on the driver-side of the fire truck with it ending at the back end near the dual-rear wheels. There are also "Street Lamps" just above the fire truck at the top of the same picture which would probably be logically located near the Marina.

Now what I have also found;

If you "Google Earth" that exact location (with a good computer) in the area in front of the "Marina" you will notice that there is a "Firetruck" probably parked in it's usual spot, right in front of this "Marina" right by a hydro post, facing East. This may even be the same fire truck as the one in the crash picture, as it looks exactly the same size, type and vintage as well. In small towns like this, usually nothing really changes much, especially a "Very Expensive Fire Truck" that is used only a hand-full of times a year and this is probably where they park it as well.
So if the truck is facing East and came from this location close to the Marina, that would explain why it facing East in the crash picture, as the crash was a little closer to the curve in the road near the bridge.
Also, as I myself come from a place that does regular mosquito fogging, I doubt that they would be wasting this "Expensive Fogging" in an area where there are no people around, like 5-6 miles down the road in the middle of nowhere in the forrested areas, unless the animals requested it. But they would likely fog in the area close to the Marina and the populated homes and businesses near it. Maybe the fogging truck slowed down in this particular area to make sure it was well covered for the next days business at the Marina and may even have been intending to turn into the lot next to where they park the fire truck during the daytime. The firetruck may be parked outside during the day so they can use the garage for something else when needed. This lot next to the Marina is probably where they keep the highway maintenance equipment stored,
-like fogging trucks.
The area way down the road to the West (where the monument is) is in my veiw, the wrong location and there is obviously no street lamps there as in the picture!
The people who work and live in the area of the Marina probably like it this way becuase they don't need all the "Gawkers" and the road congestion that it would bring to the "Correct Accident Site", so they leave it alone.

Now we need someone to go out there and do the "Correct Video of the Crash Site!"

That's all I have for now, I will be back if I find more clues.
FYI; My computer is 4GB Ram on High Speed FO running at 100 MBPS.

Richard K (Canada)

Anoymous
(no login)

Re: Jayne Mansfield Crash Site Location

No score for this post
January 10 2012, 9:09 AM 

Though you have done some careful investigation, I think your "suppositions" don't hold much water of validity. Let's take them one at a time:

*The Coroner is probably not stupid or he wouldn't be a Coroner. He has to know all the facts - not just guessing, as his career would have been on the line, especially in such a high profile investigation.*
Coroners from the time are VERY well known to make mistakes and incorrect conjectures during their investigations. Just look at the Natalie Wood case for instance. Forensic work, even for the stars, was much less careful back then as it is now.

*you will see that the terain all around the car looks like it's all "Sandy and very Tundra-like soil" beyond the shoulder of the highway. Not at all like green grass or a forest of trees in the distance at a sharp curve in the road.*
This was 45 years ago. Trees have grown and died several times over since then. It should not be expected that the terrain look ANYTHING like it does now.

*there is a "Firetruck" probably parked in it's usual spot, right in front of this "Marina" right by a hydro post, facing East. This may even be the same fire truck as the one in the crash picture, as it looks exactly the same size*
Definitely not the same truck. But even it were, there's no reason it wouldn't have been called in to attend the accident even 5 or 6 or 10 or 15 miles down the road. The direction it's facing is irrelevant.

*I doubt that they would be wasting this "Expensive Fogging" in an area where there are no people around, like 5-6 miles down the road in the middle of nowhere in the forrested areas*
Fogging isn't expensive (even back then) and when they fog, they will do it for miles and miles and miles. Wouldn't be surprised if they fogged all the way from the Rigolets bridge into New Orleans. Especially with how cheap it was to do so.

*The area way down the road to the West (where the monument is) is in my veiw, the wrong location and there is obviously no street lamps there as in the picture! *
Judging location by the presence of street lights is a red herring. These photos are 40 years old. A lot in the area has changed in those 40 years, especially the street lamps.

(no login)

Jayne Mansfield Crash Site Location

No score for this post
January 11 2012, 4:52 AM 

To Anonymous,

Your comments about some of my suppositions could be right and some could be wrong, but we both don't know if any of these or your speculations are correct because I wasn't there and I'm guessing neither were you, unless you were one of the children in the back seat.
But what I said about the location still stands with me because I believe in what "James" said. He said he was there right after the accident. I also read somewhere that the Son of the Photographer (who was following in a car right behind the Buick) said that his Dad told him something like; "They had just crossed the Bridge and were on the curve by the Marina, heading West, when the crash occured. He then got out his camera and took those famous pictures.

Now there is no conspiracy here, or any reason for any of these people; from the Photographer, the Police on scene, the Coroner (who probably attended the crash scene himself), the Ambulance Attendants or any of the many other people in the pictures to make lies about the correct location.
In my opinion/summation to the idea that the crash scene was 5-6 miles down the road from the "1 mile West of the Bridge Location" - this is "PURE HOGWASH!"

Besides I haven't heard/read any proof or credible statemnts from ANYONE, including witnesses to the crash scene, that say or swear it happened 5-6 miles down the road.

Now about those Lies and so called "Shoddy Forensics" -

Here is another speculation for you to "CHEW ON." Lets make an assumption that after the accident was all cleared up and life went on, that for many years after, the relentless flow of "GAWKERS" kept coming there to the spot, over and over and over to look, gawk and gawk again.
Parking their cars all over the place on the Highway and walking around to the point of being a nuisance. Taking many useless pictures of the ground at the scene of the correct spot (which is 1 mile West of the Bridge) and causing many of the local businesses, police and people who live near the Bridge a "BIG FRICKEN HEADACHE."

Until one day at some point in time, the locals in that area of the crash site, were all sitting around one day at the local "Breakfast Meeting" all said, "Enough is Enough" and decided to start telling the "TOURISTS" that "The crash site was 5 miles down the road to the West at the Sharp Curve near the Forrested Area" - just to get rid of them and these problems at the Bridge/Marina area! (I would be in on that!)
Until finally it worked, and people started to believe that it was "5-6 miles down the road by marker #192" so much so, that they even put a cross down there.

Now forward 40-45+ years;
All the local Seniors who are still alive and were there at that time and place in 1967, sit at breakfast and look back in reflection.
They still sit and talk to visitors about the crash rumours and events of that day and everything that transpired after it happened and they just laugh at all the "Gullible People" who won't believe that it actually happened 1 mile West of the Bridge!

Now that makes a lot of sense to me - "How about You?"

CASE CLOSED - Problem Solved! - Next Case.

Thank You very much,
Richard

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
January 11 2012, 8:43 AM 

http://www.walkerpub.com/radio_jaynemansfield.html

This person who was there verifies that the crash site is very near where the marker is.

(Login DrKnowit)

No score for this post
January 29 2012, 4:28 AM 

In response to this story and I will emphasize "STORY" about the "Radio Reporter" who says she went to the crash scene when she was 20 years old. This story sounds very much like a totally embellished fantasy about a 20 year old girl in 1967 who may have seen a crash site from a distance (I'm thinking that by 700am the site was well protected from the "Gawkers" that were there at 100am when it happened) and is just trying to fantasize about what the scence looked like because she had seen some police photos and badly needed a "STORY". So where are her pictures and why didn't she have any of her own? If she was any kind of "Press Person" (on the job for at least a year) she would have her own camera, not?? What kind of "Grass" was she cutting?

So She got home late the night before, from a bar maybe? Had a few drinks, maybe smoked some funky cigarrettes? That was 1967 remember - Hippies, long hair, pot, free sex, rock and roll, rebellions of youth at 20 years old - now does she remember the times? Of course she isn't going to mention all that!

Come on !!!!! She even saw something at the scene that she can't tell us about???

OK, now everyone give yourself a consecutive "HEADSHAKE" please!

Would you really believe a 20 year old from that "Crazy Youth Era" who can't really remember all the facts now, because she is so much older (64)? No, she just can't recall all the details of "Which Story" she told, because it was mostly made-up. Now, 64 years old isn't that old.

In my oppinion I will still go with the Police and Coroners report on the location of the site and not a 20 year olds' fictional and embellished version of the twisted facts. At the time (1967) She was an over-enthusiastic kid, who wanted to be famous and gave "Her Story!" It was fun reading though - I like fiction.

Lets move on again - Who's next?

Thank you,
Richard

Anonymous
(no login)

Re: Jayne Mansfield Crash Site

No score for this post
January 29 2012, 10:13 AM 

Wow. Amazing, simply amazing. Smoke much?

Richard K
(no login)

No score for this post
January 30 2012, 3:40 AM 

Now if that's your best response "ANONYMOUS," then I guess you don't HAVE a logical response and you may be now rethinking your clouded views on this whole issue.

It's pretty upsetting (for you) that a complete stranger to this topic can step in, look at the story presented, (with all the apparent accounts so far) take a "Common Person's" veiw of it all and point out the "OBVIOUS FLAWS" in some of these "Stories" that just about anyone (less one anyway) can intelligently digest!

Oh ya, and I forgot to mention in my previous views -
I'm sure that the Coroner knew exactly where "Dead Man's Curve" was located and it was not one mile West of the Bridge, now was it?
That Dead Man's Curve location was probably used for so many other accident stories, that over the years it eventually just took-on this accident as well.

How could it be "One mile West of the Bridge" like the "Intelligent People" said it happened? Right "ANONYMOUS?"

Now if that isn't obvious to you or anyone else out there in "Fiction Land" What is? Sometimes the "Facts" of stories are right there in front of us "Amazingly" just on the surface and not deep into one's fictional imagination.

Like I said before this isn't "Rocket Science" and until I see or hear some intelligent evidence that may refute the authorities that were there and paid to do their job, I will just stick with the official report and not the "Fabrications" out there.

Oh ya and I don't smoke anything - "I DON'T NEED TO" - it distorts reality, right "ANONYMOUS?"

Regards,
Richard K

(Login johnwaynebaxter)

crash site of jayne mansfield

No score for this post
January 27 2012, 4:25 PM 

Hi Richard,
I think you are correct. The video of the crash site I posted on you tube is of the big white cross marker about 5 miles from the bridge. This is probably not the correct site of the crash. I wonder if anybody really knows? If anyone still alive was there, they should know; I guess time will tell.

Wayne

(Login DrKnowit)

Re: crash site of jayne mansfield

No score for this post
January 29 2012, 4:34 AM 

Hi Wayne,

Glad to hear there are some more logically thinking people out there!
Please read my response (Jan 29) to the story of the 20 year old "Radio Person."

Cheers,
Richard K

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
July 10 2012, 7:30 PM 

I grew up there, and this is not how we work. Are you kidding???

(no login)

No score for this post
July 10 2012, 10:07 PM 

Hi "Anonymous?"

So are you saying that the Coroner, the Police and other Authorities were wrong on the location of the exact crash site which is recorded on the Official Death Certificate?

Are YOU kidding??

gordo
(no login)

mansfield crash location

No score for this post
January 15 2013, 11:57 PM 

Regarding James text
He got it right.
My wife and I were there in 84. Of course the re-route around the pond was done but the original Rigolettes bridge was still intact. If you didn't know anything about her or that stretch of road it would be fair to say that most people upon their first pass could not help but think, here is an accident waiting to happen.I live on the southeast coast near the marsh.Clouds of marsh gas pop up out of nowhere especially at night in the summer.For this young man driving the car at that speed and being familiar with the marshgas was complete lunacy.Now add a mosquito fogger into the picture.End of story.And by the way,I once owned the very same model,make and color Buick Electra 225.Huge 401 engine.The speedometer said 120 mph and believe me it would do every bit of it.My girl friends sister ran into the back of a station wagon at 30 mph. The hood and fenders did the same thing. Like an accordian.Couldn't wait to get rid of it.

gordo
(no login)

mansfield crash location

No score for this post
January 15 2013, 11:58 PM 

Regarding James text
He got it right.
My wife and I were there in 84. Of course the re-route around the pond was done but the original Rigolettes bridge was still intact. If you didn't know anything about her or that stretch of road it would be fair to say that most people upon their first pass could not help but think, here is an accident waiting to happen.I live on the southeast coast near the marsh.Clouds of marsh gas pop up out of nowhere especially at night in the summer.For this young man driving the car at that speed and being familiar with the marshgas was complete lunacy.Now add a mosquito fogger into the picture.End of story.And by the way,I once owned the very same model,make and color Buick Electra 225.Huge 401 engine.The speedometer said 120 mph and believe me it would do every bit of it.My girl friends sister ran into the back of a station wagon at 30 mph. The hood and fenders did the same thing. Like an accordian.Couldn't wait to get rid of it.

(Login cartographer)

Residential Factor

No score for this post
November 21 2013, 2:52 PM 

In his book Did Success Spoil Jayne Mansfield? Frank Ferruccio says that when the motorists who had stopped to help realised there was a third child trapped inside the car one of them ran to the house across the street and told the occupant that there had been a serious accident at the end of their driveway. The householder replied that they had already alerted the police, having been awakened by the sound of the collision.
If this is true, (and I suspect it is given that it is clear from the book that the author is on close terms with both of Jayne’s daughters), then this would tend to support the arguments for the marina location because there do not appear to be any residential properties, driveways or suchlike near the site of the memorial.
I suspect the confusion has arisen partly because Dead Man’s Curve looks and sounds dramatic, even more so in the days when the highway passed around the other side of the pond and partly because it is the last major bend before the steel girder bridge.
The sad fact of the matter is, however, that if a car travelling at 80mph through a mist of insecticide spray in the dark suddenly came upon an articulated vehicle travelling at only 25mph, then the outcome would probably be the same whatever the layout of the road.

(no login)

Jayne Mansfield crash site

No score for this post
January 27 2012, 3:46 PM 

Hello James,

Were you at home when the accident happened? Did you see or hear the accident or the aftermath? Exactly where did it happen? I am a Jayne fan and really would like to know. I posted a video of the big white cross marking the spot of the crash site, but this may be the wrong location; the cross is about 6 miles west of the bridge. What do you think?

Wayne

My email is: waynebaxter@mchsi.com

(no login)

Re: Simple, really

No score for this post
September 17 2010, 9:30 PM 

This would be approx one mile past the bridge going west, but it is not mile marker 292. It would be about 297/298. 292 would be further west bound about 1.5 miles before the Lake Catherine bridge. When you cross the Lake Catherine Bridge going west bound, mile marker 289 is right in front of Venetian Isle subdivision, and mile marker 282 is 6 miles further westbound.

Either this report is not correct or the radio announcer did not give the right mile marker. I am thinking since the radio announcer went to the scene and saw the mile marker before the crash, he is correct.

I still think it is strange that no historical marker has been put up there.

Lisa

(no login)

how this could have happened

No score for this post
June 4 2011, 7:23 PM 

that second map makes so much sense now.

dead man's curve wasn't nearly as deadly as it used to be. HWY 90
used to go around that little pond (you can see the faded part of
what was the original road. which now looks like an abandoned exit)
now imagine the curve it used to make. even if you drove that at
50mph in the fog, you'd be a goner.

When that land started subsiding in 72, they rerouted 90, around the pond!

chef pass
(no login)

Re: how this could have happened

No score for this post
June 18 2013, 2:40 AM 

uptown is correct in my opinion;the old roadbed around the pond at deadmans curve is the actual site acording to my grandfather who owned a fishing camp about 3/4 of a mile from deadmans curve and was there that night and had recolections of the crash units going by with sirens blazing.

(no login)

Accident information not correct

No score for this post
July 4 2013, 11:48 PM 

The actual location of the accident was approximately between zones 5 & 6 seven camps past Jeanfreau/s going toward Chef pass. The initial impact happened by the Clarks camp and stopped by Clayton Ricks camp. We had pictures before Katrina but were lost. Clayton and Rose lived there for several years after the accident then moved to PO Box 232PK Zone 5. I don't know who put that memorial at dead mans curve was misinformed. There was a plaque placed at the location but is not there anymore. I passed there today and it was not in evidence. I would be glad to show who ever took the video where the location if they would like to correct this error.

(no login)

Jim

No score for this post
September 26 2013, 12:47 PM 

Hi, I will be in NOLA next week and you of all people seem to know what you are talking about.
I have talked to so many people who went to see the car - they have told me it was every color of the rainbow - except for the correct color!
Your directions are meaningless to me. I do not know what zones 5 and 6 are, I understand Chef Pass, but going toward it from what direction?
Are the camps still there?
What is Jeanfrau's?
Can you give an out of stater directions that will put me on the spot.
Thank you so much for your help!
Jimp

(no login)

Jim

No score for this post
September 26 2013, 12:54 PM 

Hi, I will be in NOLA next week and you of all people seem to know what you are talking about.
I have talked to so many people who went to see the car - they have told me it was every color of the rainbow - except for the correct color!
Your directions are meaningless to me. I do not know what zones 5 and 6 are, I understand Chef Pass, but going toward it from what direction?
Are the camps still there?
What is Jeanfrau's?
Can you give an out of stater directions that will put me on the spot.
Thank you so much for your help!
Jimp

John L (UK)
(Login cartographer)

Zones

No score for this post
November 21 2013, 7:51 PM 

If the coroner’s report is accurate and the accident did take place approximately one mile west of The Rigolets, then this would place the accident location in zone 9.
Zone 6 is 2.73 miles and zone 5 3.78 miles west of The Rigolets.
I have looked at the section of highway that is approximately halfway between zones 5 and 6 and there does not appear to be anything there apart from an area of wasteland and some rubble.
It would be helpful if the locals who claim to know the exact location could provide us with a screen capture from Google Earth.
Apologies for sounding cynical, but I suspect that if we asked 6 different people, we’d end up with 6 different locations.
C’est la vie!

John L (UK)
(Login cartographer)

Street Lighting (Photo)

No score for this post
November 29 2013, 11:53 AM 

I haven’t seen any photographs of the crash site that show street lights.
I think it is possible some people might be mistaking them for the spotlights on top of the fire trucks. (see photograph below)
In my opinion the street lighting is a moot point anyway, because from what I can see there are none either at the marina or dead man’s curve.
There is video footage of the crash site on youtube and if you freeze it at 00:41 you can see that the foliage next to Jayne’s body is of the short, scrubland variety as found adjacent to the marina rather than the lush grass bordered by high trees and shrubbery as found at dead man’s curve.
I know some people have pointed out that the appearance of the locations could have changed over the years but the video also contains footage of what looks like dead man’s curve (04:40) supposedly filmed on the day of the accident and it looks very much as it does today. It is, however, puzzling why someone would bother to film it if the accident didn’t take place there.
On the whole, I feel that the vast majority of the evidence points to the accident taking place somewhere near the marina.
The one thing that I do find mysterious, however, is the e-mail that Drew Strahan allegedly sent to Bob Walker. Mr Strahan was the young lad at the White Kitchen who, together with his mother, was the last person to speak to Jayne. He says that the day after the accident he and his mother laid some roses at dead man’s curve. Even if the car and debris had been removed by then, you’d still think that given the copious amount of fluid on the carriageway that would have needed sanding it would still have been pretty easy to see where the accident took place?

http://s797.photobucket.com/user/scarecrow1600/library/

John L (UK)
(Login cartographer)

Emergency Services

No score for this post
November 23 2013, 6:52 AM 

Your comments are very interesting.
For them to be of any practical benefit, however, we’d need to know two things;
1) Was your grandfather’s fishing camp ¾ mile to the east or ¾ mile to the west of Deadman’s Curve?
2) Did your grandfather actually see the emergency vehicles going past and if so, what direct were they travelling in?

(no login)

Yes, the kids were at Ochsner

No score for this post
March 23 2012, 3:28 PM 

My dad was working in the emergency room that night when the kids came in. He confirmed that the adults had died from injuries at the scene but the kids were relatively unhurt considering the state of the car. Minor cuts and bruises but no broken bones or major soft tissue damage.

(no login)

see the video ...

No score for this post
September 14 2013, 5:34 PM 

(no login)

accident site

No score for this post
September 17 2010, 9:23 PM 

I am very confused about the actual accident scene...based on someone who said he was a radio announcer and went to the scene at the time of the crash. He says that it was about 1500 feet west of mile marker 292 on Hwy 90. All reports, including this death certificate, says it was approx. 1 mile west of Rigolets bridge. Mile marker 289 is right after you leave the Lake Catherine bridge going west, in front of Venetian Isles subdivision. Mile marker 282 is right before you get to Hwy 90 and Old Gentilly Rd intersection, not to far from Nasa. So if the accident happened right past mile marker 292 going west, it could not be approx 1 mile from Rigolets bridge...it would be more like 5 miles.

Seems like over the years someone what have put a marker at the spot. I would like to know if the witness from the media is correct, or this death certificate is correct.

(Login ezwider)

location of crash site

No score for this post
October 13 2012, 3:10 PM 

Hi, according to P.I. of Mississippi (a member of the JM fanclub) the crash site is 30.14614,-89.74576 (about a mile west of the Rigolets bridge) which is what the death certificate says. It is unlikely the death certificate would be wrong because this was a high profile case and because the media would have pointed out the error. It is believed there was a property/liability issue that prevented the cross/memorial being placed at the actual crash site so it was placed about five miles west down the road.

Lisa
(no login)

Crash Site Mansfield

No score for this post
October 13 2012, 5:44 PM 

People get the Rigolets bridge and the Chef bridge going to the Rigolets confused. It happened before the Chef bridge right by Venetian Isle, not the Rigolets bridge by Fort Pike.

John L (UK)
(Login cartographer)

Bridges

No score for this post
November 22 2013, 1:17 AM 

I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make exactly.
We know that the crop spraying vehicle, the articulated lorry and the car were all travelling in the same direction which was westwards, away from Slidell where the car had stopped at the White Kitchen and towards New Orleans which was their intended destination.
The eyewitness testimonies all suggest that the accident took place after they had passed over the first bridge but before they had reached the second, so I don’t think knowing the correct names of the bridges really makes a lot of difference.

(no login)

Info about Sam

No score for this post
February 3 2011, 11:02 PM 

Does anyone have information regarding Sam Brody, Jayne's boyfriend? Is there a copy of his death certificate floating around anywhere? Let me know. Thanks.

(no login)

Info about Sam

No score for this post
February 3 2011, 11:03 PM 

Does anyone have information regarding Sam Brody, Jayne's boyfriend? Is there a copy of his death certificate floating around anywhere? Let me know. Thanks.

Current Topic - The Actual Crash Site
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Read More Postings!  
Your Ad Here