Map of Chainsaw Artists
(Courtesy of Butch Elrod)

Carvers Signature Database
(Courtesy of Butch Elrod)

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

looking for carver Gene A. Davis

January 23 2015 at 3:06 PM
Rosemary  (Login dixie5050)

I am cleaning/restoring a sculpture of a cigar-store Indian, signed and dated Gene A Davis, 6/25/85. It is life-size, full headress, contrapasto stance, and holds a bundle of cigars in his right hand, with tamahawk in his left. It is unpainted. I think it is Western Red Cedar; very heavy and dense. Owner knows it was carved in the state of Washington and given to a young girl as a gift for her 17th birthday. That is about it. I am an art curator in Richmond, VA. In my opinion this is a fine example of chainsaw art, and I believe its maker would have been known in the Northwest as one who was an early chainsaw carver. It deserves to be documented.

Please contact me at Dixie50505@aol.com if you can give me any information on the artist Gene A Davis.

Thank You!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

steve backus
(Login flashbackus)

gene davis

January 26 2015, 8:17 PM 

hello rosemary, I never met gene Davis but as I understand it he carved over on the northern Olympic peninsula for many years, he did a ton of work with terry tessmar on the big project known as Bandy s castle, Gary Bandy is a local rich guy that has/had? a place in sequim Washington, he employed several carvers all through 1980s and gene was one, last I heard he was in Arizona, I belive I got that scrap of info from terry tessmar,

the 1980s were not really that early, I am a forty year veteran of the carver wars and would be ok with helping you identify carvers in the pacific Northwest.........
and remember carve or starve...

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on SculptureCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement