(Courtesy of Butch Elrod)

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

burning bear humble orgin

November 1 2015 at 8:56 PM

steve backus  (Login flashbackus)

PM
steve backus (Login flashbackus)
CCSG Board
A little heads up on the burning bear show.
this idea has been bumping around in my skull for a coupla years {like tremko sez, we are all gonna make a "skull" someday] at any rate this gathering of carvers will be low key with no big promises,but we will have some fun help out some folks who need it, and quite possiblely create a cool event that will attract chainsaw carvers to converge on this little burg and create art make some money and give the cascade chainsaw sculptures guild a new focus for the vast amount of energy that we have.
this gig will consist of us carvers carveing for a day or so then takeing all the scraps that we make and building a large bear all screwed and wired together about six or eight foot tall, then burn it into a pile of smoldering ash!
Now dont that sound like fun!? Since jack threw out the "wolf pack" against the "cunning rogues" asspect, what we will do is build a coupla bears, this is a guild promoteing project, the teams are seperate entitys from the guild,what they are is loose confederations of freinds and family that form something like high school gangs,lets see where it go's

Many of you folks who have been to an any event in the ocean shores area have met mona and Ivan and mabye even been to one of the famous dinners at their beachside dineing and lounge area{chuckle} mona and ivan have been big supporters of us carvers and have recently been touched by a tragedy in the form of an auto accident that took the life of their son-in-law arin, leaveing their daughter nikki with two babys, this burning bear project was in the pipeline anyway so I/we decided to make it a benifit with boaz doing an auction and us kicking in carveings.
this is a project in its infancy.
this is a project that could give the guild/guilds a new focus.
this is a project that corprate brownosers cant steal {yet!}

for those of you that need a lot of structure, my method of orginizeing things consists of throwing everyone into a hole, and if we all climb out at the end of the day it worked!
so if you want to hang out with high energy, hard working,optimistic,unafraid,courage filled, talented, loyal, committed, freedom seeking, loud, happy,focused, cascade chainsaw sculptors guild types. and you aint afearful of this rubbing off on you, I highly recomend you come on down.

we have some ceder and some big ugly spruce to carve, the north beach motel is filling up fast, I will post more info soon, it is not far off and its not much warning, but what heck it gained more steam then I thought it would...........360-579-3574 is my #

and remember carve or starve...

Respond to this message
Author Reply
mikemcvay
(Login mcvaymike)
CCSG Board
Re: burning bear project
January 14 2009, 7:07 PM

Go Steve!

Respond to this message
susan
(no login)
Sounds like just the perfect cure for winter
January 14 2009, 8:21 PM

Can I light the match? I do plan to be there for this one.

Respond to this message
Anonymous hero
(no login)
north beach motel##
January 15 2009, 8:31 AM

Big will is the tatooed maneger and mayor of ocean city,his number is 360-289-4116.
Susan it would be an honer for you to light the fuse and begin the tradition of "burning bear"
Remember boys and girls be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid.....
So let us boldly go.......................

Respond to this message

Jerry
(Login JerryA.K.A.)
CCSG Board
Carvin for the love of it
January 15 2009, 8:34 AM

It does help ends meet sometimes...and also helps others....Hope to see you all at Burning Bear,
and post more pictures of carvings from the past, I know all of you barnicle carvers have pictures laying around,,,learn how to use your scanner and post em....us beginners love to be humbled once in a while....stihl carvin,,,Jerry

Respond to this message
Dave Tremko
(Login AleutArtist)
I booked 106 for "The Pack" so you Rouges ain't that cunning!
January 15 2009, 8:46 AM

Will told me it was Mona's sister's husband, are you sure it was Nikki's? Tragic none the less.
Before anyone gets the wrong idea, that quote Steve made was from 10 years ago in Point Arena California at the galley bar and grill, some carver said he had been carving skulls to which I replied "I'm gonna make one someday." (Steve was the only one in the crowded establishment that got the joke and high 5ed me from acroos the room) The quote made reference to the fact that I don't carve skulls only and the words "We are all" were not uttered by this injun. Seems we all will, I just didn't say it that way.
Does Ivan still have power to the lot on the corner? Are we doing this on the corner or in Ivan and Mona's yard? Is the rumor of free beer actually true? Oh yeah I booked the room for the 29th 30th and the 31st, but fill us in on what's happening when Steve. Tell Boaz I figured out how to turn off the reverb and I will have the P.A. and microphones.

Respond to this message
Anonymous hero
(no login)
Re: I booked 106 for "The Pack" so you Rouges ain't that cunning!
January 15 2009, 9:11 AM

Are those the people we had a barnfire at ? Tough blow when you lose a family member.. Sorry to hear that..

Say High to what's his name.. Hopefully he got that surfer dude out front ? Remember this is a non-smoking facitility...

http://www.northbeachmotel.com/index.html

Sounds like fun and have a blast you crazy people..

Beegoode, Tone

Respond to this message
Dave Tremko
(Login AleutArtist)
Non-smoking? Right!
January 15 2009, 10:08 AM

[linked image]
I'll tell Will "High" for you Tone

Respond to this message
Pam & Dusty
(no login)
Hi There
January 15 2009, 7:49 PM

When is this? Dusty & I just may show up - for Nikki

Respond to this message
mike mcvay
(Login mcvaymike)
CCSG Board
December 2008 newsletter
January 15 2009, 8:32 PM

> Here is a link for the November/December 2008 newsletter:
>
>http://www.theccsg.com/pdf%20newsletters/VolumeXIVissueV.pdf>
>
> The file is 5.26 MB so it may take a while for the page to load on your computer, especially if you have dial up. You will also need Adobe Reader to view the file. If you don't have Adobe Reader installed on your computer you can download it for free at:
>
>http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html>
>
> Let us know if you have any problems viewing the newsletter.
> Thanks,

Respond to this message

steve backus
(Login flashbackus)
CCSG Board
rv sites
January 16 2009, 8:22 AM

at mona and ivans corner with power and water no sewer.
saterday january 31 is the burn day, but if you want show up a day or two or three early no problum.........
we will do the auction for nikki as of this writeing, at the green lantern friday{january 30} evening.
And the carver/guild auction on saterday at 2;00 pm
tremko apprently is supplying free beer!{alaskan amber for me please}
Burn the bear at dusk.

Then we dream big dreams, and tell tale tales
Of wood that cracked, and of saws that failed

Of broken trucks that dove us mad
And dear freinds who made us glad

trails we have broken, or paths well traveled
hollow victorys or playing feilds leveled

So if you are a carver with a thirst for life
seeking knowlage while avoiding strife

loveing life and knowing it aint fair
just the kind of folks for the burning bear..............

Respond to this message
Dave Tremko
(Login AleutArtist)

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

steve backus
(Login flashbackus)

January 2009

November 3 2015, 8:27 AM 

the above was from 2009, I copy and pasted it from the other cascade guild site that susan miller ran until we made a new site with jack and Amy.

her site was the guilds site for years, I would like to see a link to it at the top of the page since it has guild stuff going back 2005, its all history despite the personal debates.

"out on the edge" or "carve or starve" should bring it up I really don't know how to provide the link but its good reading.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on SculptureCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement