Map of Chainsaw Artists
(Courtesy of Butch Elrod)

Carvers Signature Database
(Courtesy of Butch Elrod)

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Who's on First?

November 17 2015 at 4:20 AM
ROOSTER  (Login jay.kay)

This video of Ken Kaiser is posted on Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGRZ-z4bDkE

According to family, Ken was carving as a representative for the McCullough Chainsaw company.
The video is 1957/58 based on the model of the saw he is using (assuming he would have the latest).

Since he was doing this up and down the west coast, there must be some record in local newspapers.

Can anybody add to this?

rkubara@mymts.net

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

steve backus
(Login flashbackus)

to cool

November 20 2015, 7:31 AM 

That is a great example of chainsaw carving! the tools were big and the wood as well.

I am leaning toward ken kaiser as the first true chainsaw carver that used the chainsaw as his only carving tool to create reduction three dimensional sculpture, just my thought and opinion, lets keep digging.

dudly carter and others used the chainsaw as one of several tools to create their work.

If memory serves Henry Moore a big time English sculptor that made monumental stuff used a chainsaw to shape some of his big stuff, I could be off base with this but since we are tracking the tool{ chainsaw} and when and where it was used in the art making process i thought I would throw it into the mix.

looks like ken kaiser was doing it all with the chainsaw though............
and remember carve or starve...

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on SculptureCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement